Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Differences in printed commands after execution with same code Post 302573858 by mjf on Tuesday 15th of November 2011 10:17:16 PM
Old 11-15-2011
Differences in printed commands after execution with same code

I have a korn shell script that executes a function which is stored in a common library. In the function there is obviously some code. Here is the line of code in the function in question:

temp=`echo $status_cnt|tr -d [0-9]`

When the shell script executes with set -x, I'm seeing that on most occasions that the below commands and their arguments are printed as expected based on the above line of code. I'll call this the desired result.

Desired Result
+ + echo 2
+ tr -d [0-9]

However on other, less frequent occasions, I'm seeing the below commands and arguments when the code is executed. I'll call this the undesired result.

Undesired Results
+ + tr -d 2
+ echo 2

Assuming the code in the function is identical on all occasions, what would cause the deviation between the desired and undesired results?

Firstly, why would the 2 commands appear in different order (i.e. shouldn't I always expect the echo to be printed first in the desired result since the echo command precedes the tr -d [0-9] command when being assigned to temp variable)?

Secondly, what would cause the tr -d [0-9] to be printed as tr -d 2?

Thanks in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while execution of second set of commands

Hi, I have a shell script with code . perf.env cd $QRY_DIR for SHELL_FILE in sql1 do export SNAME=$SHELL_FILE ${SCRIPT_DIR}/perf_qry.sh ${SPOOL_DIR} ${DB_ENVNAME} ${NAME} & RC=$(expr ${RC:-0} + $? ) sleep 60 if then echo sysdate>test1 echo query1.txt>>test1 grep -i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran16
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while execution of second set of commands

Hi, I have a shell script with code . perf.env cd $QRY_DIR for SHELL_FILE in sql1 do export SNAME=$SHELL_FILE ${SCRIPT_DIR}/perf_qry.sh ${SPOOL_DIR} ${DB_ENVNAME} ${NAME} & RC=$(expr ${RC:-0} + $? ) sleep 60 if then echo sysdate>test1 echo query1.txt>>test1 grep -i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran16
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

multiple commands execution

Hi i have 3 sql scripts that need to be executed simultaneously, and independent of one another, how do i do that in Unix AIX 5.3 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yschd
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help... Differences in Communication commands

What is the difference between the following commands. Please with example? rsh ssh scp rcp rlogin ftp telnet Cheers.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating execution of commands inside a program

I have a program dnapars I execute the program from command line as following: ./dnapars The program then prompts me some message as a user menu from where I have to select a series of options in the order R U Y R. And then I copy the output file (outfile) in another result file. I wrote the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deeptisjains
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problem unix commands in Perl CGI

I am trying to run SSH , mkdir and other unix commands using Perl CGI. But i am not able to Execute these commands. Please help me out !!!! SSH and mkdir is necessity for me. I will be thankful to you...!!!!! I am trying like: In perl CGI file i am writing like: @list = `ssh... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navrattan Bansa
28 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sequential execution of commands in ksh

I need to run few commands in a ksh script sequentially. Some of the commands are jobs submitted to the server and the consecutive commands are dependent on the completion of the jobs submitted to the server. It works if i separate the commands into different files like this #!/bin/ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prashob123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution of Shell Commands

I have a question: Where would I put the Command line (of any command) so that it executes every time I log on? Where would I put it if I want it to execute every time I start a new shell? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nabeel Nazir
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execution of local commands for remote site.

Hi all, I have a problem with ftp execution within unix environment. I'd like to get files on remote and delete them later, but here is too crowd so I can accidentally delete some files. Can I delete only the files I can get to the local folder? I can ask this question with a different... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: attillam
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl execution commands

I don't know to debug the program todaylive.pl program. plz someone let me know what are the commands I need to know to debug the perl programs to find out the error on it. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
3 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)