Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting fieldwidths, printf and calculations with variables Post 302573745 by origamisven on Tuesday 15th of November 2011 11:03:20 AM
Old 11-15-2011
Of course, thank you... I guess I need to go home and get some sleep Smilie

Code:
awk -v X0="$X0" -v Y0="$Y0" -v Z0="$Z0" 'BEGIN{ FIELDWIDTHS = "5 3 7 5 8 8 8" }{if ($7 != "") printf"%s%-s%s%s%8.3f%8.3f%8.3f\n",$1,$2,$3,$4,$5-X0,$6-Y0,$7-Z0; else print $0}' input > output

for reference: when editing .gro coordinate files with the correct output format, this works

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk printf for user defined variables

I am working on a SunFire 480 - uname -a gives: SunOS bsmdb02 5.9 Generic_112233-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R I am tyring to sum up the total size of all the directories for each running database using awk: #!/usr/bin/ksh for Database in `ps -efl | grep "ora_pmon" | grep -v grep |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jabberwocky
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How printf handles empty variables

See attached file that includes code, input and output. I am processing a colon delimited input file and building a ":" (colon) delimited output file. My printf statement prints contents of each of 20 variables and puts them into a record file. I am pushing out approximately 120 records. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skyybugg
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh, calculations using bc

hi all, was wondering if there is another way to do calculations in ksh scripts other than using bc ?? i am using a script to calculate average response time and my script errors out after running for a bit. e.g code i am using : averageTime=$(print "$totalTime / $numberOfEntries" |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using AWK printf with userdefine variables

seems simple but i've not been successfull in adding the value of a Variable to a every line of a file using AWK & printf i've come up with the following, but it's not working.:mad: --- mydatafile.dat e.g. of data in file: cau_actvty_fa_lrf.ksh fan_soco_fa.ksh ny_sum_lst.ksh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: danmauer
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk{FIELDWIDTHS} replacing blanks with null

Hi, I am having a file and grabbed the contents of the field according to field widths. The command i used is: awk 'BEGIN{FIELDWIDTHS="10 25 20 14 6 10"}{print$4,$5,$6}' newtext.text >test1.txt i got the output for example: val1 val2 val3 <blank> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rish_max
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculations in bash

HI i have following problem, i need to use split command to split files each should be cca 700 lines but i dont know how to inplement it in the scripts becasuse each time the origin file will be various size , any body got any idea cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvok
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with doing calculations on data

Dear All, I have a long list like this: 337 375 364 389 443 578 1001 20100 . . . . etc I would like to substract each value from the first entry which in this case is 337 and report it in a separate column. So the expected output looks like 337 0 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

assinging the printf result to variables

Getting the below error while executing this. Able to run the below commands Individually. #!/bin/bash a=$(printf "%d\n" 0x01E); b=$(printf "%d\n" 0x01A); echo $a echo $b c=`expr $a - $b` echo $c syntax error at line 2: `a=$' unexpected (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai_1712
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

FIELDWIDTHS problem

Hello; i have a file contains records such as below, i want to AWK read pre-defined fixed column width and print desired output. so i wrote this command: input: Event 9477887 Western Iran Date Time Err RMS Latitude Longitude Smaj Smin Az Depth Err Ndef Nsta Gap mdist ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saeed.soltani
4 Replies

10. Programming

Passing printf formatting parameters as variables

Hi, I haven't programed in C in a few years. I have been doing a lot of shell scripting, I.E. not really programming anything heavy. :o That said, I have a script that gives hourly usage statistics for our email server. It runs w-a-y to slow as a script for my impatience, and needs to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mph
7 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)