Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to get directories colored when doing change directory and tab Post 302573506 by genehunter on Monday 14th of November 2011 06:58:59 PM
Old 11-14-2011
Question How to get directories colored when doing change directory and tab

I am trying to navigate between directories using cd.
However, the only way to distinguish directories now is by seeing the "/' after the directory names, which is quite inefficient. How can I make the directories look in color when typing cd and then using the tab key to list the files and directories in that folder?
I seee colored directories in the output from ls, but not when using tab with cd command.
Any help would be appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to change the tab size in vi?

the default size is 8. i found it's too big. how can i change the tab size in vi? is it a good idea to change it at all? thks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gusla
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to change permissions only to files, not directories....?

Hi, I am really new to unix, any help is much appreciated. I need to change permissions of all files under several subdirectories to 700 but keep directories readable (755). Why ? Because I need a FTP user to only list his files and can't read them. But to browse to subfolder, the directories... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: narrok
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using dots to change directories

how would i go down a directory using the ../.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamieMurry
6 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

How to make a new terminal tab open in the same directory the current one?

I want to press "apple + T" to open a new terminal tab. This terminal tab must be in the same directory as the current one. Anyone knows how to do that? Thanks a lot! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andrewust
1 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Colored directories

I just updated to Lion and when I went to use the terminal, all the directories were black. It used to be that the directories were blue? and some things were green and then files were black. Does anyone know how to change this? I tried using: alias ls='ls -Fskb -color=auto' without success.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasonbunnell
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current path except one directory?

Can anyone come up with a unix command that lists all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current directory except a folder called log.? Thank you in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath B
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change directories?

Hi, I am changing my directory structure /opt/multifamily/restatement/weblogic to /users/saanvi/weblogic Am using sed command to changing the directoried names Please hepme out on this. there is any script to change the directories. Thanks in Advance, (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: saanvi
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command

I am trying to do the following task : export ENV=aaa export ENV_PATH=$(cd /apps | ls | grep $ENV) However, it's not working. What's the way to change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
2 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Change tab size to 4

forum members, gvim version 6.0.150.0 Vi has been my favorite editor for over 30 years. Mostly with Unix but now with windows XP. It works fine but I want to change the tab to 4 spaces instead of 8. I read on the internet that I can edit the .vimrc file but I only have an _vimrc... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerryd
12 Replies

10. Programming

Java JOptionPanel change text field with TAB

So I don't really know anything about Frames, Windows, or Panels.. I just got interested in Java because a coworker is doing classes in it. I know some other languages but never did GUI things...I literally just got NetBeans, and drew up a dialog using it's Design view. All I want is for the TAB... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: neutronscott
0 Replies
uuaids(8c)																uuaids(8c)

Name
       uucompact, uumkspool, uurespool, uupoll - uucp utilities

Syntax
       uucompact -ssystem
       uumkspool system ...
       uurespool [ -t# ]
       uupoll system ...

Description
       All of the commands are located in

The  command  compacts  uucp  system spool directories and associated subdirectories. If system is ALL, then all existing uucp system spool
       directories are compacted.  Otherwise, only the specified system spool directory is compacted.  If no system is	specified,  is	compacted.
       If  is stopped before it is finished, it can be restarted without reprocessing directories.  The command continues processing where it left
       off during it's previous instantiation.

The command makes a per system spool directory and associated subdirectories for each of the specified systems.	For example, if system	is
       mk3 and if the local system name is penny, the following directories are created:
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/C.
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/X.
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/D.
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/D.penny
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/D.penny
       The  command  moves files from old spool directories to	new spool directories.	Because the structure of the spool directories has changed
       from older versions of it is necessary to respool old spooled files to new spool directories in at least two instances:

o    When installing the current version of

o    When creating a new system spool directory for each system.

In the latter case, it is necessary to move files from to the new spool directories.  To ease this task, moves files that have been spooled
       in  one	of 4 formats and respools them under the new spooling structure.  The format is specified by the -t# option, where the number sign
       (#) can be any one of the following:

o   Original spool - All files are in

o   Split spool - Contains the subdirectories

o   Modified split spool -  Contains all subdirectories listed in split spool, and

o   Used when a new system directory has been created and spool files must be moved from the DEFAULT directory to the new system directory.

The command forces a connect attempt to the named systems even if recent attempts have failed, but not if the file prohibits the call.  For
       example, the file will prohibit the call if it is the wrong time of day.  Thus, the should be monitored for messages about the connection.

Files
       Spool directory

Logfile

See Also
       mail(1), uucp(1c), uux(1c)

uuaids(8c)