Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Looking for help with parsing file contents in bash [newbie] Post 302573247 by ahamed101 on Sunday 13th of November 2011 09:07:10 PM
Old 11-13-2011
If the file is not in the current directory then you need to provide the entire path...
Code:
cat /full/path/to/your/file/log.txt

HTH
--ahamed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File contents parsing

Suppose I have a file which has either the contents CALLED on <date & time> RUNNING on <date & time>or CALLED on <date & time> RUNNING on <date & time> SHUTTING_DOWN on <date & time> DOWN on <date & time> I don't care about the <date & time> part... I just need to know if the last line in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orno
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in parsing text file contents

Hi, I need some help in extracting the Exception block between the lines 21 Feb 01:18:54:146 ERROR com.orbits.frameworks.integrationframework.ValidationException - Caught exception in validateRequest() (PID=565584) and 21 Feb 01:18:55:149 INFO ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alecs
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing a file and manipulating the contents

Hi I have a text file as follows BOB 14/14 TOM 94/94 SAM 3/3 CRIS 13/13 TOM 6/6 CRIS 27/27 SAM 2/2 JACK 25/25 CRIS (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellignorant
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash copy file contents into an existing file at a specific location

Hi all I need to copy the entire contents of one file into an existing file at a specific location. I know the exact line number where I need to put it. It appears I would use either sed or awk to do this, but I have been unsuccessful so far: File A line 1 line 2 line 3 line 4 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gshepherd7
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Most reliable way to store file contents in an array in bash

Hi Guys, I have a file which has numbers in it separated by newlines as follows: 1.113 1.456 0.556 0.021 -0.541 -0.444 I am using the following code to store these in an array in bash: FILE14=data.txt ARRAY14=(`awk '{print}' $FILE14`) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing a config file using bash

Hi , I have a config _file that has 3 columns (Id Name Value ) with many rows . In my bash script i want to be able to parse the file and do a mapping of any Id value so if i have Id of say brand1 then i can use the name (server5X) and Value (CCCC) and so on ... Id Name ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nano2
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH- Hold script until all contents of a file is written

I have to hit a very large database to pull fields of information. I have a script that runs multiple instance of the same query against the data base and writes contents to a file. The script terminates before the file is completely written to confirmed by ps -ef | grep <script name>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Parsing a file in bash

Hello All, I have the following input file that i'm trying to parse: 10.0.011.40 hadoop 15526 15524 0 hadoop 15528 15526 0 hadoop 19747 4018 1 10.0.081.227 hadoop 2862 2861 0 hadoop 2864 2862 0 hadoop 12177 14376 1 I'm trying to get this in my output file: 10.0.011.40 15526 15528... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie help - parsing through a file

Hello guys, I am a newbie to all of this - I'd like some help with a file I have. It's a ~100mb CSV file with approximately 30 columns. What I'd like to do is to search through the file and REMOVE any lines with a certain case insensitive string in any of the columns: So my file looks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokhtar
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash command to find a file and print contents

I need to find a file and print its contents I am trying but it is not working find -path /opt/app-root/src/.npm/_logs -type f -name "*.log" -print Version $ bash -version GNU bash, version 4.4.12(1)-release (x86_64-pc-msys) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SVRao19056
1 Replies
SURFRAW-UPDATE-PATH(1)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    SURFRAW-UPDATE-PATH(1)

NAME
surfraw-update-path - updates PATH in shell config files SYNOPSIS
surfraw-update-path [-add] [-remove] [-check] [-sys] [-all] [-help] [-shell=SHELL] DESCRIPTION
surfraw-update-path adds the surfraw elvi directory (/usr/lib/surfraw) to your PATH in your shell's config file. Currently it supports bash, sh, csh, tcsh, ash, dash, ksh, pdksh, zsh, rc, and es Don't forget to login again or source your login files for it to take effect. OPTIONS
-check Checks to see if the surfraw config code is present. This is the default. -add Adds the surfraw config code. -remove Removes the surfraw config code -sys Updates the system-wide shell config instead of the user. Must be done as root. -shell=SHELL Selects the shell to configure. Defaults to the value of the $SHELL environment variable. Currently supported shells are: sh, ash, bash, dash, csh, tcsh, ksh, pdksh, zsh, rc, and es. -all Attempts to configure the startup files for all known shells -help Gives a usage message RETURN VALUE
-check returns 0 if the surfraw code is present in the file, 1 if it is not found, or 2 on error. All other options return 0 on success, or 2 on error. ENVIRONMENT
SHELL Used to determine which shell to configure, if -shell is not given. HOME Used to find users config files. ENV Used by posix-compliant shells to specify a startup rc file. ZDOTDIR Used to find user config files for zsh. If not set, defaults to HOME. SEE ALSO
surfraw(1), sh(1), ash(1), bash(1), dash(1), csh(1), tcsh(1), ksh(1), pdksh(1), zsh(1), rc(1), es(1) AUTHOR
Ian Beckwith <ianb@erislabs.net> perl v5.12.4 2011-07-12 SURFRAW-UPDATE-PATH(1)