Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting renaming the default output name of the split command Post 302573104 by smarones on Sunday 13th of November 2011 01:02:18 AM
Old 11-13-2011
renaming the default output name of the split command

Hello,

I would like to split a file but I dont what the subfiles to be named the way they are:

Code:

ex:
default name: xaa xab xac xad xae
desired name: b01 b02 b03 b04 b05

I know I can rename them afterwards however I have a varialbe split lenghth, in other words I am not sure how many subfiles I will have.
That is up to the user of the script.

I am using an if statement for renaming these but it makes my script really long and I can never catch all the possibilites since there are infinit number of subfiles the user might want.

This is what I am doing (not very smart):
Code:

If ( `echo $NumofSub` == 2 ) then
  mv xaa b01.txt
  mv xab b02.txt
else if ( ..... so forth

I hope I am clear enough, but if not please let me know if you have any
questions. I am using tcsh by the way I know I shouldnt but my whole script is in tcsh, cant change it now.

Have learnd my lesson and will most likely use bash for my next script.

---------- Post updated 11-13-11 at 01:02 AM ---------- Previous update was 11-12-11 at 11:52 PM ----------

if any one is interested, I wrote this which works Smilie.

Code:

#!/bin/tcsh
#batch rename

split -l 40 260_sites.txt
@ bnum = 1
foreach batch ( `ls | grep xa` )
 mv $batch b0"$bnum".txt
 @ bnum = $bnum + 1
end

Last edited by smarones; 11-13-2011 at 01:13 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command display output on console and simultaneously save the command and its output

Hi folks, Please advise which command/command line shall I run; 1) to display the command and its output on console 2) simultaneous to save the command and its output on a file I tried tee command as follows; $ ps aux | grep mysql | tee /path/to/output.txt It displayed the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get split output of a file, using perl script

Hi, I have file: data.log.1 ### s1 main.build.3495 main.build.199 main.build.3408 ###s2 main.build.3495 main.build.3408 main.build.199 I want to read this file and store in two arrays in Perl. I have following command, which is working fine on command prompt. perl -n -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashvini
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming files using split with a delimiter

I have a directory of files that I need to rename by splitting the first and second halves of the filenames using the delimiter "-O" and then renaming with the second half first, followed by two underscores and then the first half. For example, natfinal1995annvol1_14.pdf -O filenum-20639 will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swimulator
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split function input and output order

Dear Forum I'm Trying to use split function to split a string, but the output is not as the same order as of the string, please see simple example echo " " | nawk -v var="First;Second;Third;Fourth" ' BEGIN {split(var, arr,";") for(i in arr){print arr }}' The output is Second Third... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahyaaa
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to split the $PATH output

Hi, /usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin i want to print the above output as below /usr/kerberos/sbin /usr/kerberos/bin /usr/local/sbin /usr/local/bin /sbin /bin /usr/sbin /usr/bin... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmvinay
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split the sql output into two different variables

Hi, How to set as variable from sql output. Query: select aa.serial, ao.name from ann_amit aa JOIN ann_object ao on (aa.classid=ao.classid); I got two values from aa.serial and ao.name, I wanna make two different variable for aa.serial and ao.name. The value of aa.serial should be in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KarthikPS
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split the file with renaming.

Hi Team,. I am writing a script find the files which is not .gz format, split it into files which are 50000 line entries per file(using split -l 50000) then compress the smaller files using gzip and delete the original/big file. After splitting it is creating the files in its own naming... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satish Shettar
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex to split a string and write the output in another file.

hi, i am trying to write a script to generate ouput in the following format: ##### buildappi abcd_sh nodebug.##### ##### buildappi ijk_sh nodebug.##### The given string is as follows: xtopSharedDLLs = "abcd_sh def_sh ijk_sh " \ + "jkl_sh any_sh... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rashid Khan
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert title as output of command to appended file if no output from command

I am using UNIX to create a script on our system. I have setup my commands to append their output to an outage file. However, some of the commands return no output and so I would like something to take their place. What I need The following command is placed at the prompt: TICLI... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Split Command Generating Incomplete Output Files

Hello All, May i please know how do i ensure my split command would NOT generate incomplete output files like below, the last lines in each file is missing some columns or last line is complete. split -b 50GB File File_ File_aa |551|70210203|xxxxxxx|12/22/2010 20:44:58|11/01/2010... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ariean
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)