Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk: matching and not matching Post 302572934 by maverick72 on Friday 11th of November 2011 07:15:51 PM
Old 11-11-2011
Right now there is a print only if there is a match. Unmatched items are not output and the way the loop as been created if i just put an else i end up printing all unmatched hosts (not the desired behavior). Thats the part i'm stumbling on.

Code:
bash$ awk -f list.awk file1 file2
PROD: hostname2 instance_name4 -p BACKUP: backuphostname2 instance_name4 -b
PROD: hostname3 instance_name7 NO BACKUP

This is what i want. First line is a match with is backup and second line is an unmatched instance_name.

Right now i get only the first line part (for all matching instances). Not the unmatched ones.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK pattern matching, first and last

In a nutshell, I need to work out how to return the last matching pattern from an awk //,// search. I can bring back the first, but am unsure how to obtain the last, and a simple tail won't work as the match could be over multiple lines. Secondly I would like some way of pattern matching, a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: smb_uk
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern matching using awk.

Dear Team, How do we match two patterns on the same line using awk?Are there any logical operators which i could use in awk like awk '\gokul && chennai\' <filename> Eg: Input file: gokul,10/11/1986,coimbatore. gokul,10/11/1986,bangalore. gokul,12/04/2008,chennai.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gokulj
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - pattern matching?

Hello all, I am trying to sort thru a database and print all the customers whose first names are only four characters. I just want to pull the first name only from the database. the database records appear like this in file: Mike Harrington:(510) 548-1278:250:100:175; first is name Mike... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: citizencro
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK help, matching 2 files into one

I'm newbie with AWK. What I'm trying to do is matching file1 and file2 into a file3 with records listed in columns with pipe as delimiter. The thing is the file1 has thousands of records while file2 has very few. But I want the file3 to show all records in file1 and with data from file2 to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmeasel7
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk multiline matching

I have a file that looks something like this with lots of text before and after. Distance method: Sum of squared size difference (RST) </data> <pairwiseDifferenceMatrix time="02/08/11 at 13:08:27"> 1 2 1 448.82151 507.94231 2 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgray
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String matching using awk

Hello, I am working with google ngram data set which is of size 100s of gb. Before using it with Java, I wanted to filter it out using shell script. Here is a sample line in the file: 2.55 1.57 1992 10 20 30 The first two fields (2.55 and 1.57) are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching two files with awk

Hello, I have two files as follow: AFFY_ID RS_ID CHROMOSOME POS_START POS_END ALLELE1 ALLELE2 SNP_A-1780283 rs17011450 chr4 127630275 127630276 C T SNP_A-1780285 rs6919430 chr6 90919464 90919465 A C SNP_A-1780286 --- chr7 104281409 104281410 A G SNP_A-1780301 rs2342723 chr16 5748790... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Homa
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert lines above matching line with content from matching

Hi, I have text file: Name: xyz Gender: M Address: "120_B_C; ksilskdj; lsudlfw" Zip: 20392 Name: KLM Gender: F Address: "65_D_F; wnmlsi;lsuod;,...." Zip:90233I want to insert 2 new lines before the 'Address: ' line deriving value from this Address line value The Address value in quotes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ysrini
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file1 for matching line in file2 and print the difference in matching lines

Hello, I have two files file 1 and file 2 each having result of a query on certain database tables and need to compare for Col1 in file1 with Col3 in file2, compare Col2 with Col4 and output the value of Col1 from File1 which is a) not present in Col3 of File2 b) value of Col2 is different from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RasB15
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine all matching dates and remove non-matching

Using the awk below I am able to combine all the matching dates in $1, but I can not seem to remove the non-matching from the file. Thank you :). file 20161109104500.0+0000,x,5631 20161109104500.0+0000,y,2 20161109104500.0+0000,z,2 20161109104500.0+0000,a,4117... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
PAGESIZES(5)							File Formats Manual						      PAGESIZES(5)

NAME
pagesizes - HylaFAX page size definitions DESCRIPTION
The pagesizes database defines the page dimensions and guaranteed reproducible areas (GRA) for well-known page sizes. The GRA is the por- tion of the page that is guaranteed to be imaged during facsimile transmission. This region is typically less than the full page dimen- sions because of paper roller contacts and other mechanical aspects of the printing process in a facsimile machine. All HylaFAX programs that require page size information read the information from this database using a page size name. Documents should be prepared such that the full page dimensions are employed with the imaged area contained within the GRA. The system-wide default page size to use in preparing documents for transmission is given by the ``default'' entry in the database. (NB: the default entry should be placed last so that inverse matches find the real page size name and not the default entry.) The page size database is an ASCII file with the following format. Each entry consists of whitespace-separated fields: name abbrev width height gra-width gra-height top-margin left-margin Fields have the following interpretation: name the full name for the page size; e.g. ISO A4; abbrev an abbreviated version of the full name for use in compact listings such as the receive queue listing printed by faxstat(1); width the full width of the page; height the full height of the page; gra-width the width of the GRA; gra-height the height of the GRA; top-margin the margin between the top of the full page and the top of the GRA; left-margin the margin between the left side of the full page the left side of the GRA. The first two fields must be separated from the subsequent fields by a tab character (possibly followed by more whitespace); this is done to easily permit blank characters to be included in names. Otherwise fields can be separated by any amount of any kind of whitespace. Numbers are all base 10 and in basic measurement units (BMU); defined as 1/1200 x 25.4 millimeters for paper output with a scale factor of one. All fields must be present on a single line; otherwise the entry is ignored. Comments are introduced by the ``#'' character and con- tinue to the end the line. Page size database lookups are either by name or by page dimensions. Lookups by name are done by sequentially scanning the entries in the database for the first entry that has a matching abbreviation or substring of the page size name field. The string comparisons ignore case so, for example, ``a4'' would match a full name of ``ISO A4''. Lookups by dimension scan the entire database and return the page with the closest dimensions using a straightforward distance metric. If the difference in dimensions of the closest match is greater than 1/2 inch on each side, then no page entry is returned for a lookup by dimension. SEE ALSO
hylafax-client(1), faxmail(1), faxstat(1), sendfax(1), sgi2fax(1), textfmt(1). December 5, 1994 PAGESIZES(5)