Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Newbie wondering about a shell client Post 302572867 by vgersh99 on Friday 11th of November 2011 10:57:18 AM
Old 11-11-2011
get putty and WinSCP.
Or use PSFTP as part of the putty distribution bundle.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Scripting Newbie

I'm relatively new at this scripting game, just need to learn some basic stuff for data handling. My current need is to write a script that loops through a textfile of filenames, and for each file removes the first line and re-writes that file to a new name. In fact I could do with knowing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mattyjim2
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Have an interview tomorrow just wondering one thing...

Hi, just a quick question here. I have an interview coming up tomorrow. The job is for a UNIX System Admin. I have a degree in Computer Networking and am familiar with Solaris, but was wondering what should I brush up on before going in to this interview (like any online reference)? Thank you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NELS
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting NEWBIE - Need Help

Could someone please recommend a very good shell scripting book for me. I would be starting a new job that would require a very good understanding of shell scripting. Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayoka
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for a newbie

Hello all, I want to write a shell script to list the contents of a directory and number them and write them to a file. For example, if I have a directory temp and the contents of the directory are alpha, beta and gamma. I want to write these filenames to a file "test" in a numbered manner. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
7 Replies

5. SuSE

HELP for Newbie: Unable to run GUI installer (Ubuntu client connected to SLES server)

Hello All, I'm using my Ubuntu 10.04 client connected via SSH to a SuSE Linux server (SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64) version 11 patchlevel=1). I'm trying to run an install of WebSphere Portal but can't seem to be able to run the GUI installer. Running xclock as root returns this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kartrait
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk: Wondering how to format numbers with comma

I have tried the following commands and can't get a number to format with commas: echo 1234567.12 |awk '{printf("%-12s %20s\n", $0, comma($0)) }' This prints out value 50000 without a comma for i in *13*; do (cd $i && du -sk . && echo $i);done|grep -v 0000|gawk -F OFS="," ' {SUM += $1}... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
8 Replies
CHSH(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)