Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] check if chars is a capital letter and translate it Post 302572826 by tafazzi87 on Friday 11th of November 2011 07:47:57 AM
Old 11-11-2011
yes but i must put the letter translate into $LETTER

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transformation capital letter

:confused: Hye everybody i would like to know if exist a internet site where i can founs some interesting shell script very usefull I need to transform hundreds names of files escribed in CAPITAL letter in minuscule letter do oyu know a mean o do that that thanks to a script or a shell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dark Angel
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find capital letter names in a file without finding words at start of sentence

Hi, I want to be able to list all the names in a file which begin with a capital letter, but I don't want it to list words that begin a new sentence. Is there any way round this? Thanks for your help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kev269
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting day to capital letter...

Hello, I am receiving a file every day as this format. Since today is friday, the format is, PGI_STG_FRIDAY14.TXT. I need to write the shell script to check if this file exist in folder... I am using date format.. export DATE=`date '+%A'` echo $DATE The output is Friday But i... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check input for lenght, special characters and letter case

I made menu script for users so they can run other script without going in shell just from menu. But i must control their input. These are criteria: Input must have 4 signs First two signs are always lower case letters Input shall not have some special signs just letters and numbers ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waso
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] print chars of a string

how can i print all the chars of a string one by line? i have thought that use a for cicle and use this command inside: ${VARIABLE:0:last}but how can i make last? because string is random P.S. VARIABLE is the string or can i make a variable for every chars of this string? this was my idea... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: tafazzi87
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

check index of a string by finding a letter in it

i would like to search for a letter in a string and get its index position. example: name='john' pos=$(expr index $name o) the result will be equal to 2 (2nd position) how do you make this thing not case sensitive? example: name='john' pos=$(expr index $name O) the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kokoro
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make all words begin with capital letter?

I need to use bash to convert sentences where all words start with a small letter into one where all words start with a capital letter. So that a string like: are utilities ready for hurricane sandy becomes: Are Utilities Ready For Hurricane Sandy (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting all words that start with a capital letter in a string using python dictionary

Hi, I have written the following python snippet to store the capital letter starting words into a dictionary as key and no of its appearances as a value in this dictionary against the key. #!/usr/bin/env python import sys import re hash = {} # initialize an empty dictinonary for line in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Organizing text file by Capital Names (capital word ' ' capital word)

Hi I have a file passwd_exmpl that contains: root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:/sbin/nologin daemon:x:2:2:daemon:/sbin:/sbin/nologin adm:x:3:4:adm:/var/adm:/sbin/nologin lp:x:4:7:lp:/var/spool/lpd:/sbin/nologin sync:x:5:0:sync:/sbin:/bin/sync... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eladage
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace the first letter of each line by a capital

Hi, I need to replace, as the title says, the first letter of each line (when it's not a number) by the same letter, but capital. For instance : hello Who 123pass Would become : Hello Who 123pass Is there a way with sed to do that ? Or other unix command ? Thank you :) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganon551
7 Replies
TRANSLATE(1)                                                  General Commands Manual                                                 TRANSLATE(1)

NAME
translate - looks up for words in a dictionary SYNOPSIS
translate [options] words DESCRIPTION
translate looks up for words in a dictionary and translates them. It can handle multiple dictionaries and charsets. It comes with an eng- lish-german dictionary and is able to translate in both directions. OPTIONS
-n non-interactive (don't prompt if no matches found) -i invers lookup (from second to first language) -l languages to translate between -v display version and exit -w searches only whole words -h display help EXAMPLE
translate -l en-de simplest SEE ALSO
xtranslate FILES
translate preferred language and is stored in /etc/translate.conf You can store your private configuration file in ~/.translate. If there are no options in the commandline it uses the default values de-en. It can also create a private dictionary in ~/.translate AUTHOR
Jochem Huhmann <jochem@revier.com> wrote translate. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by oth- ers). TRANSLATE(1)