Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using grep command to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories. Post 302572765 by jayan_jay on Friday 11th of November 2011 02:20:45 AM
Old 11-11-2011

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to grep some text in a directory and as well as in its sub-directories

Hi Friends Little help is required. I want to grep some string in a directory as well as in its sub-directoies. Thanks Joy:confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsjoy2u
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command to exclude directories

Howdy I have this directory structure ... eep eepaptest eepfatest eepgltest eep.old eeppoptest ehf ehfaptest ehfgltest ehp ehpgltest I want to find files in these directories, but I want to exclude eep, ehf & ehp. Cany anyone help with the correct command ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmurfGGM
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using regular expression for directories in find command

Hi, I want to find the files available in a directory /var/user/*/*/data/. I tried using the command "find /var/user/ -path '*/*/data/ -name '*' -type f" it says find: 0652-017 -path is not a valid option and then i tried using "find /var/user/ -name '*/*/data/*' -type f" but its not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinothbabu12
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to sort directories after a recursive find

find -type d -name "TC_*" | sort That's what I have so far... it finds the appropriate directories and then sorts them. But, when it comes to nested subdirectories, it only sorts relative to the first subdirectory. I want it to sort based on the directory at the end of the path. Does anyone know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimsondarkn
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find 777 permisson is there or not for Directories and sub-directories

Hi All, I am Oracle Apps Tech guy, I have a requirement to find 777 permission is there or not for all Folders and Sub-folders Under APPL_TOP (Folder/directory) with below conditions i) the directory names should start with xx..... (like xxau,xxcfi,xxcca...etc) and exclude the directory... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - Find command to exclude sub-directories

Hi Forum. I'm trying to write a script that finds and deletes files that are older than 300 days. The script will read a table that contains the following 3 columns: 1st col: “Y” means sub-directory scan; "N" means no subdirectory scan 2nd col: sub-directory location 3rd col: File prefix... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using grep command to find the pattern of text in all directories.

Hi all, i want to know the usage of grep command to find the pattern of text in all the directory and subdirectory. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinothrajan55
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List the directories, having given pattern in the directories name, sorted by creation date

It is for HP-Unix B.11.31. Requirement: 1. List the directories, having given pattern in the directories name, sorted by creation date. Example: Directories with name "pkg32*" or "pkg33*" 2. On the output of 1. list the directories by creation date as sort order, with creation date... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude directories in FIND command

Can you please help tweak the below command to exclude all directories with the name "logs" and "tmp" find . -type f \( ! -name "*.tar*" ! -name "*.bkp*" \) -exec /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -i "user_1" /dev/null {} + >result.out bash-3.2$ uname -a SunOS mymac 5.10 Generic_150400-26 sun4v sparc sun4v... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD