Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Confusion about FOR LOOP syntax between Bourne and BASH shell. Please see. Post 302572548 by navienavnav on Thursday 10th of November 2011 09:32:39 AM
Old 11-10-2011
Data Confusion about FOR LOOP syntax between Bourne and BASH shell. Please see.

Code:
for (( i=1; i<=3; i++ )); do
for (( j=1; j<=3; j++ )); do
for (( k=1; k<=3; k++ )); do
echo $i$j$k
done
done
done

Will the above code work on a BOURNE shell?

As far as my understanding is, if I am writing the above code in a file..say lol.sh and then running it through the terminal using the command

sh lol.sh

then I am using the Bourne Shell. Am I right with this concept?

If yes, then the above code won't run (as I tried to run it) BUT it runs when i run it as...

bash lol.sh

So my question is that :

1. Am I correct that sh lol.sh will run it using bourne shell ?

2. And can for loop be written in the way it's written in the code above in the bourne shell or
Code:
for i in 1 2 3

is the only possible syntax of for loop in the bourne shell?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

if loop problem in bourne shell

how to use if-loop in bourne shell with multiple conditions like follows if then commands fi it gives me an error test: ] missing then i put if ] it gives me an error [[ not found kindly i need the syntex for the bourne shell (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad.diab
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with while loop in BASH shell

I have file named script1 as follows: #!/bin/bash count="0" echo "hello" echo "$count" while do echo "$count" count=`expr $count + 1` done ----------- when I run it, I get ./script1: line 9: syntax error near unexpected token `done' ./script1: line 9: `done' I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to understand the differences between the bash shell and the Bourne shell

I do not claim to be an expert, but I have done things with scripts that whole teams of folks have said can not be done. Of course they should have said we do not have the intestinal fortitude to git-r-done. I have been using UNIX actually HPUX since 1992. Unfortunately my old computer died and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: awk_sed_hello
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on "for" loop in bourne shell

Hello Everyone.... I am trying to print a number sequence in following format using for loop. I am using a bourne shell. I tried following for loop condition but it is bash syntax. for (( i=0; i<=5; i++ )) It is giving syntax error. Kindly help with the syntax of "for"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne Shell - Problem with while loop variable scope.

Hello I am having issues with a script I'm working on developing on a Solaris machine. The script is intended to find out how many times a particular user (by given userid) has logged into the local system for more than one hour today. Here is my while loop: last $user | grep -v 'sshd'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaveRich
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If Then ElseIf Script - Confusion Around Expression's Syntax

Hello, I am relatively new to UNIX scripting and am learning a lot. I have already tried several searches on this website and have tried various syntax options suggested to no avail. I am obviously not writing the script correctly. I really do appreciate any and all the help. Below is an... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dqrgk0
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash (Ubuntu server): Syntax error: "|" unexpected in While-loop

Hello forum, I hope my problem is easy to solve for someone in here! My main task is to copy a large amount of imap-accounts from one server to another. There is a tool (Perl) called imapsync which does the job exellent. Unfortunately I'm only able to run it on one account at a time. After... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: primaxx
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For loop in bash shell

Hi, I am using a for loop to manipulate files data_1.txt through data_100.txt. The for-loop is set up like this: for i in {1..100}; do cut -f1 data_$i.txt > output$i.txt I get the following error message when I run the code: cannot open `data.txt' for reading: No such file or directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Shell loop - Help !

Dear all Linux lover, I am a new learner to Bash Shell script and I would like to writing a script to to repeat my script. This mean I would like to have multiple same of result after running the .sh. ####### TIMES_NO=0 echo -n "Please enter the number for times to repeat ?" read... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rocky888
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop in bourne shell is not working

I have a loop with cases I am working on Bourne shell for file in *.${Today}*.csv *.${Today}*.txt\ do case ${file} in sun_detail) do something ;; sum) do something ;; mod) do something ;; *) do something ;; (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
5 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)