Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Weird "sort" behavior
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Weird "sort" behavior Post 302572353 by intermilan on Wednesday 9th of November 2011 06:11:30 PM
Old 11-09-2011
Weird "sort" behavior

Hi,

I'm trying to sort a text file "test":
Code:
S12
S_S12
S_S1_12
S15
S_N15
S_N1_15

By "sort test", I get:
Code:
S12
S15
S_N1_15
S_N15
S_S1_12
S_S12

It seems weird:
Comparing Line 2 and Line 3, it must be that '-' is bigger than '1'; however, comparing Line 3 and Line 4, it seems that '5' is bigger than '-'.

And the result of comparing one line to a previous line using strcmp function is:
Code:
S12
S15                        3
S_N1_15                46
S_N15                    -42
S_S1_12                 5
S_S12                     -45.

It seems that "S_N15" and "S_S12" are not in the correct position.

The result (according to strcmp) should be:
Code:
S12
S15
S_N15
S_N1_15
S_S12
S_S1_12

Last edited by vgersh99; 11-09-2011 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: code tags, please!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird problem with output from "date '+3600*%H+60*%M+%S' "

Hi, I came across a script a few months ago that allowed you to use the following script to include the current time into your prompt (useful from auditting purposes): # Set Prompt typeset -RZ2 _x1 _x2 _x3 let SECONDS=$(date '+3600*%H+60*%M+%S')... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: m223464
5 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Weird "security" bahavior with SSL certificates

Hello, I have been attempting to automate the addition of SSL certificates to keychains on a MAC using the "security" command. I've noticed two things, 1 of which I don't understand. 1. If I use something like "security add-trusted-cert -d -k /System/Library/Keychains/SystemRootCertificates... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prafulnama
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Odd" behavior exiting shell script

Is it normal behavior for a shell script that terminates to terminate its parent shell when executed with the "." option? For example, if I have the example script (we'll name it ex.sh): #!/bin/sh if then echo "Bye." exit 2 fi And I execute it like this: >./ex.sh It... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

weird password popup on "admin" mentions

I had a site that sold stock photography and some guys I know set up a shopping cart and gallery system for it. One thing they did was give me an admin page (mysite.net/admin) where I could upload new images and change prices and all that. For that admin page they set a password popup prompt. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lex0062
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of "b" modifier in "sort" command

I need to sort the following file by the rhdiskpower devices in the last column: Total_MB Free_MB OS_MB Name Failgroup Library Label UDID Product Redund Path 1024 851 1024 OCRVOT1_0000 OCRVOT1_0000 System UNKNOWN ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wjssj
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

"╭─ " Character combo in $PATH causes strange autocompletion behavior in zsh

I've posted about this before, but only recently narrowed the problem down to a specific cause. Ok, first of all, the behavior: It occurs when autocompletion brings up its list (not when there is only a single option). Basically, if I were to type, say, cd ~/<TAB> I would get something... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marshaul
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commenting out "expr" creates weird behavior

This really puzzles me. The following code gives me the error 'expr: syntax error' when I try to do multi-line comment using here document <<EOF echo "Sum is: `expr $1 + $2`" EOF Even if I explicitly comment out the line containing the expr using "#", the error message would still exist... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird behavior of command "local"

Hi there, I'm running into a very weird situation. Let's forget about the purpose of my initial script please. I noticed the bug whatever I'm trying to do. I'm on an old server running bash 3.1.17. Say we have the following script : foo:~# cat /tmp/test #!/bin/bash f1() { local... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract delta records using with "comm" and "sort" commands combination

Hi All, I have 2 pipe delimited files viz., file_old and file_new. I'm trying to compare these 2 files, and extract all the different rows between them into a new_file. comm -3 < sort file_old < sort file_new > new_file I am getting the below error: -ksh: sort: cannot open But if I do... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: njny
7 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)