Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] effective user id upon exec Post 302572275 by Corona688 on Wednesday 9th of November 2011 12:51:08 PM
Old 11-09-2011
What system is this?
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Changing effective user

I would like to give execution rights for a script to one user. (that's the easy part...) When that user is running the script, I would like the effective user ID to be that of the file-owner. Is this possible? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hilmel
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

exec script as user on boot not root

Is there a way to change a process owned by root to be owned by another user. I am interested in finding out if there is a way to put a script in /etc/rc2.d that will start up automatically on reboot that will not be owned by root This is for security reasons.. The Service that runs on my server... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipmunken
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Use of until loop for user confirmation

Below is my script that is using to rename the name of file .Here I am using two methods to pass the both arguments wih script name or run the script and give the input one by one.But my issue is I want to rename the name of the file if user select Y(y) then it should rename the file else select... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Variables Inquiry, Values Okay in Standalone Exec, No-Show in Cron Exec

I have the following bash script lines in a file named test.sh. #!/bin/bash # # Write Date to cron.log # echo "Begin SSI Load $(date +%d%b%y_%T)" # # Get the latest rates file for processing. # d=$(ls -tr /rms/data/ssi | grep -v "processed" | tail -n 1) filename=$d export filename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginowms
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

[Solved] mailx : unknown user issue

Hi all, I know this issues has been discussed multiple times, i have gone through many such discussion but unfortunately i am still not able to solve the issue being faced. I have configured the sendmail.cf with the smtp host name (Editing the entry starting with DS...) Post that restarted... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chpsam
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] weird in find -exec command

i feel weird with this 2 command find /tmp/*test* -user `whoami` -mtime +1 -type f -exec rm -f {}\; find /tmp/*test* -user `whoami` -mtime +1 -type f -exec ls -lrt {}\; the first one return correct which only delete those filename that consist *test* where second command it listed all the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsy
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Loading user profile

I need some help on solaris, setting java path: $ PATH=/var/tmp/jdk1.5.0_22/jre/bin $ export PATH $ java -version I got the correct version for the application to run, which is: java version "1.5.0_22" Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_22-b03) Java... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] awk: placement of user-defined functions

Hi folks, is there any recommendation, especially from a point of performance, about where to place a user-defined function in awk, like in BEGIN{} or if it is only need once at the end in END{}? Or doesn't it matter at all since, awk is so clever and only interprets it once, wherever it is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regarding real example of user of semicolon(;) and + in find/exec command.

Hello All, Was recently working on an requirement where we have to search files more than a specific number, following is the example on same. Let's say file names are test_40000.txt,test_40001.txt and so on till test_99999.txt. Now requirement was to search from find command only those... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
1 Replies

10. Programming

Real, effective and saved user id in C program

I figured it out by now. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ralph
0 Replies
setreuid(2)							System Calls Manual						       setreuid(2)

Name
       setreuid - set real and effective user ID's

Syntax
       setreuid(ruid, euid)
       intruid, euid;

Description
       The  real  and  effective  user	ID's of the current process are set according to the arguments.  If ruid or euid is -1, the current uid is
       filled in by the system.

Return Values
       Upon successful completion, a value of zero (0) is returned.  Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error.

Environment
       BSD
       If the process is superuser, or and matches with the real user ID, the effective user ID, or the saved set-user-id (as described in ), then
       the real, effective, and the saved set-user-id are set to and respectively.

POSIX
       SYSTEM-FIVE
       When  your  program  is	compiled  in the POSIX or SYSTEM-FIVE mode, if both arguments to are -1, the system call returns a value of -1 and
       errno is set to [EINVAL].

The following semantics apply when using the function:

If the process is the superuser, the real, effective, and saved set-user-id (as described in ) are set to and respectively.

If the process is not the superuser, but the and matches with the real user ID, the effective user ID (only  in	the  SYSTEM-FIVE  and  BSD
       environments), or the saved set-user-id, then the effective ID is set to The  real user ID and the saved set-user-id are left unchanged.

Diagnostics
       [EPERM]	      The  current  process is not the superuser and the and specified does not match with the real user ID, the effective user ID
		      (only in SYSTEM-FIVE and BSD environment), or the saved set-user-id.

See Also
       getuid(2), setregid(2), setuid(3)

setreuid(2)