Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting PERL : pattern matching a string stored in a variable Post 302572124 by mirni on Wednesday 9th of November 2011 08:17:13 AM
Old 11-09-2011
Code:
my $filename = "abc_yyyy_mm_dd.txt"; my $filename1 = " abc_2011_11_07.txt";

Quote:
Originally Posted by irudayaraj
checking if $filename has $filename1 in it
But $filename does NOT have $filename1 in it.
I suggest you play with the =~ operator a little bit.

Code:
my $filename = "abc_yyyy_mm_dd.txt"; my $str = "yy_m";
if ($filename =~ $str) {
  print "Yess!\n"
}

will print Yess! because $filename contains "yy_m".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Pattern Matching a HASH variable

Hi All, I'm trying to test a Hash variable but it's not working. Here is my code - can anyone tell me if the test is valid? for (keys %enabled_yn) { if ($enabled_yn{$1} =~ m/\s+Y/) { $html =~ s/%(\w+)%/\<b\>\<font color\=orange\>$enabled_yn{$1}\<\/font\>\<\/b\>/g; }... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pondlife
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl pattern matching

hi i am trying to get digits inside brackes from file , whose structure is defined below CREATE TABLE TELM (SOC_NO CHAR (3) NOT NULL, TXN_AMOUNT NUMBER (17,3) SIGN_ON_TIME CHAR (8) TELLER_APP_LIMIT NUMBER (17,3) FIL01 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get the string stored in a variable in a line???

Hi all, I want to search for a data type in a line.For this in a loop i am checking for $DATA_TYPE in a line using grep.But grep is not able to find when i give this. Can any one tell me how to check string in $DATA_TYPE variable in line usign grep (or) any other way to do the above task. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: pattern not properly stored in variable?

Hey there, I have a table of contents file of the form 1 Title1 1.1 Subtitle1 1.1.1 Subsubtitle1 1.1.2 Subsubtitle2 ... and want to count the number of dots in the first field to find out the level of the section. I use the gsub function for the job, which works if I pass the pattern... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: herrsimon
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete first character from a string stored in a variable

Hallo! Example. #!/bin/bash BACKUP_DIR=/home/userx/backups/evolution echo $BACKUP_DIR # delete the first character from the string BACKUP_DIR=$(echo $BACKUP_DIR | cut -c 2-) echo $BACKUP_DIR It works. It does want I want, delete the first character from string in the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxinho
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern Matching in PERL

I have a 2 files in .gz format and it consists of 5 million lines the format of the file would be gzcat file1.gz | more abcde aerere ffgh56 .. .. 12345 gzcat file2.gz | more abcde , 12345 , 67890, ffgh56 , 45623 ,12334 whatever the string is in the file1 should be matched... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindj80
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search a filename stored in a variable using a pattern?

hi, i have a variable which contains some file names delimited by a single space. FNAME="s1.txt s2.lst s3.cvs s4.lst" i have another variable that contains a pattern FILE_PATTERN="*.lst" i want to take the filenames from FNAME variable and assign each file name in to an array say for... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP - Regex for matching string containing pattern but without pattern itself

The sample file: dept1: user1,user2,user3 dept2: user4,user5,user6 dept3: user7,user8,user9 I want to match by '/^dept2.*/' but don't want to have substring 'dept2:' in output. How to compose such regex? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to lookup stored variable in file and print matching line

The bash bash below extracts the oldest folder from a directory and stores it in filename That result will match a line in bold in input. In the matching line there is an_xxx digit in italics that (once the leading zero is removed) will match a line in link. That is the lint to print in output.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep a sub-string from a string stored in a variable.

For example: I am grepping "Hello" from a file and there are 10 matches. So all ten lines with match will get stored into a variable($match). Now I want to ignore those lines which have "Hi" present in that. Currently I tried this: match = grep "Hello" file | grep -v "Hi" file But that's not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavan
2 Replies
test(1F)							   FMLI Commands							  test(1F)

NAME
test - condition evaluation command SYNOPSIS
test expression expression DESCRIPTION
test evaluates the expression expression and if its value is true, sets a 0 (TRUE) exit status; otherwise, a non-zero (FALSE) exit status is set; test also sets a non-zero exit status if there are no arguments. When permissions are tested, the effective user ID of the process is used. All operators, flags, and brackets (brackets used as shown in the second SYNOPSIS line) must be separate arguments to test. Normally these items are separated by spaces. USAGE
Primitives The following primitives are used to construct expression: -r filename True if filename exists and is readable. -w filename True if filename exists and is writable. -x filename True if filename exists and is executable. -f filename True if filename exists and is a regular file. -d filename True if filename exists and is a directory. -c filename True if filename exists and is a character special file. -b filename True if filename exists and is a block special file. -p filename True if filename exists and is a named pipe (FIFO). -u filename True if filename exists and its set-user-ID bit is set. -g filename True if filename exists and its set-group-ID bit is set. -k filename True if filename exists and its sticky bit is set. -s filename True if filename exists and has a size greater than 0. -t[fildes] True if the open file whose file descriptor number is fildes (1 by default) is associated with a terminal device. -z s1 True if the length of string s1 is 0. -n s1 True if the length of the string s1 is non-zero. s1 = s2 True if strings s1 and s2 are identical. s1 != s2 True if strings s1 and s2 are not identical. s1 True if s1 is not the null string. n1 -eq n2 True if the integers n1 and n2 are algebraically equal. Any of the comparisons -ne, -gt, -ge, -lt, and -le may be used in place of -eq. Operators These primaries may be combined with the following operators: ! Unary negation operator. -a Binary and operator. -o Binary or operator (-a has higher precedence than -o). `(expression)` Parentheses for grouping. Notice also that parentheses are meaningful to the shell and, therefore, must be quoted. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
find(1), sh(1), attributes(5) NOTES
If you test a file you own (the -r , -w , or -x tests), but the permission tested does not have the owner bit set, a non-zero (false) exit status will be returned even though the file may have the group or other bit set for that permission. The correct exit status will be set if you are super-user. The = and != operators have a higher precedence than the -r through -n operators, and = and != always expect arguments; therefore, = and != cannot be used with the -r through -n operators. If more than one argument follows the -r through -n operators, only the first argument is examined; the others are ignored, unless a -a or a -o is the second argument. SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 test(1F)