Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Red hat 9 root directory
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Red hat 9 root directory Post 302572052 by lolypop on Wednesday 9th of November 2011 05:22:19 AM
Old 11-09-2011
Question Red hat 9 root directory

Hello ,
I recently decided to change from Red hat 9 OS to Fedora 14 but I wanted to copy all the files in the root directory to my usb . every time I copy the file and move them to my usb folder I get an error windows with permission denied warning , although I'm the only user and I entered the root password ???

What to do , i really don't want to lose these files but I'm tired of manually mount CD's and USb's every time I want to run something on my computer Smilie

Any suggestion or solution please . I would really appreciate any help .

Best regards

Loly

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Red Hat 7.2.....

I just installed red hat 7.2 on my laptop. it's dual booted with xp and red hat. when i boot in to linux it boots up to the screen to ask me my name and pass....i put in root and my password. after this it goes to a blue screen and sits there. the after about 2 minutes it comes up with a fatal... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: muzscman
1 Replies

2. Linux

Red Hat?

I have a Red Hat upgrade disk. I installed it and it corrupted my entire hard drive! I had gotten the disks out of a Dummy's book at my local library. Trying to install 'Red Hat', has cost me $100.00 in damages. (The cool part is my friend gave me that $100.00 part) Ah...A 120gig Hard Drive. Just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hdk_mkr
3 Replies

3. SuSE

ghost root disk on Red Hat Linux

I have been reading to no avail on how to create a root ghost disk. The purpose of this task is that prior to patching my linux servers, I would create a copy of my root disk to an empty disk for failback in the event that the patching has issues. I currently configured my root disk with 2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gperez
2 Replies

4. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Red Hat Linux Serial Number using non-root user

Hi All, Is there any way to find out the Serial Numbers in Red Hat Linux machines with a non-root user? I know we can find using the dmidecode command, but it needs root privilege. I want to access this information using a non-root user. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :) Many... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetd
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Red Hat E 3

I'm am working with a Red Hat Enterprise 3 server. This is a dedicated server that is supposedly dedicated to one domain, but I have been tasked with trying to figure out if there are files on this system that are being accessed by other IP's. Does anyone know if how I would go about finding... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisPlusPlus
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using "sed" to update RECURSIVELY a value within a directory in a Red Hat Machine

Hi All, I spent the whole morning trying to create a shell script ( using "sed" command ) that looks for a value in a directory and its sub directory than changes it with another value but couldn't find the way :( a first step, allowded me to trace all the files that contain it and even... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehdi1973
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

startx by non-root user account in red hat linux kernel 2.6

How can I use the command "startx" by other user account such as "oracle" ?? I cannot startx by user account oracle ?? How to fix it ??? Any adivce ??? I use red hat linux kernel 2.6 $ startx Fatal server error: PAM authentication failed, cannot start X server. Perhaps you do... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuikingman
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to know if i use "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" or "Red Hat Desktop" ?

how to know if i use "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" or "Red Hat Desktop" ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory / File changes on CIFS share mounted on Red Hat Linux

I have a requirement to copy the changed file on CIFS share mounted on Red Hat Linux to a remote FTP/SFTP server. I tried inotify-tools, but this didn't track the modified files. Has anyone tried incron or any other suggestion? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SupeAlok
1 Replies
dialups(4)							   File Formats 							dialups(4)

NAME
dialups - list of terminal devices requiring a dial-up password SYNOPSIS
/etc/dialups DESCRIPTION
dialups is an ASCII file which contains a list of terminal devices that require a dial-up password. A dial-up password is an additional password required of users who access the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The correct password must be entered before the user is granted access to the computer. The set of ports that require a dial-up password are listed in the dialups file. Each entry in the dialups file is a single line of the form: terminal-device where terminal-device The full path name of the terminal device that will require a dial-up password for users accessing the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The dialups file should be owned by the root user and the root group. The file should have read and write permissions for the owner (root) only. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample dialups file. Here is a sample dialups file: /dev/term/a /dev/term/b /dev/term/c FILES
/etc/d_passwd dial-up password file /etc/dialups list of dial-up ports requiring dial-up passwords SEE ALSO
d_passwd(4) SunOS 5.10 4 May 1994 dialups(4)