Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Problem parsing input with awk Post 302572000 by ahamed101 on Tuesday 8th of November 2011 11:52:14 PM
Old 11-09-2011
Code:
awk '{for(i=2;i<=NF;i++){sum+=$i}print sum}' input_file

sed 's/^[0-9]* //g;s/ /+/g' input_file | bc

--ahamed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing input paramter in a script

Hi folks I am having a little trouble in parsing a variable read into a ksh script I have a bunch of variables passed into script test.ksh HOST SERVER JOB1 JOB2 JOB3 JOB4 JOB5 What I want to do is read all the $JOB variables ($JOB1, $JOB2, $JOB3) into a variable and then read that variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anubhav
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk parsing problem

I need help with a problem that I have not been able to figure out. I have a file that is about 650K lines. Records are seperated by blank lines, fields seperated by new lines. I was trying to make a report that would add up 2 fields and associate them with a CP. example output would be... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing file2 with input from file1

Sorry dublication with previous thread... please delete it Hi all i need and appreciate your help creating a script in ksh for the following case Two files exists with questionmark delemeter: File1.txt: A;B;C;F;D;K; File2.txt A,name,address1; K,name,surname,phone; C,name,phone;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forumsgr
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing name and phone as input and then print sub and marks out

I have a file like this : name phone id sub marks abc 2345 45 mat 90 bgt 6573 54 eng 89 ... .... .. ... .. ... .... .. ... .. Now i need to take in name and phone as input and then print sub and marks out, can u give me a sample code for this. P.S. If there are two of with same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SasankaBITS
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another parsing line awk or sed problem

Hi, After looking on different forums, I'm still in trouble to parse a parameters line received in KSH. $* is equal to "/AAA:111 /BBB:222 /CCC:333 /DDD:444" I would like to parse it and be able to access anyone from his name in my KSH after. like echo myArray => display 111 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RickTrader
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help parsing job script input parameters

I have a job script that runs with input parms from the command line. job.sh -p parm1_parm2_parm3_parm4_file_1.dat The parms are separated by _ The last parm is a file name and can have an _ in the name. I currently use the following commands to extract the parms parm1=`eval echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
3 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell: Parsing Input

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I'm fairly confident I can brute force this assignment, but let's not do that ;-). Basically I'm required to support input such as ps aux | grep blah >> blah.txt& echo 'slslslsl' My question is what is the best way to parse that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: someoney3000
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in parsing an input in perl

I am executing a command it is returning me something like this name ip port ------------------------------------ http-listener-1 * 6712 http-listener-2 * 8709 I have a subroutine getListenerName($porttobeChecked) This subroutine returns me the name of the listener if i pass a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: javaholics
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex text parsing with speed/performance problem (awk solution?)

I have 1.6 GB (and growing) of files with needed data between the 11th and 34th line (inclusive) of the second column of comma delimited files. There is also a lot of stray white space in the file that needs to be trimmed. They have DOS-like end of lines. I need to transpose the 11th through... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk parsing problem

Hello fellow unix geeks, I am having a small dilemna trying to parse a log file I have. Below is a sample of what it will look like: MY_TOKEN1(group) TOKEN(other)|SSID1 MY_TOKEN2(group, group2)|SSID2 What I need to do is only keep the MY_TOKEN pieces and where there are multiple... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dagamier
7 Replies