Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Best practice - determining what region you are on Post 302571885 by Rediranch on Tuesday 8th of November 2011 12:12:38 PM
Old 11-08-2011
Best practice - determining what region you are on

Hello all,

I have a question about what you think the best practice is to determine what region you are running on when you have a system setup with a DEV/TEST, QA, and PROD regions running the same scripts in all.

So, when you run in DEV, you have a different directory structure, and you don't want to email the entire group when you are testing something and you abend.

We use the hostname to determine what box we are running on, then a case statement that has the box names hardcoded.

Right there is the problem. Our hardware group just moved us from one box to another, and even though they kept the old DNS available and pointing to the new box, the hostname found the new box name - and nothing worked.

Yes, we missed the fact that the hostname was hardcoded in the common environment script, but this is where my question comes in.

What do you do to prevent having to make ANY changes to your scripts when the hostname changes due to a box move, but you can still tell you are running in DEV or QA or PROD?

The only thing that comes immediately to mind is a file located on each box, uniquely named for that box - something as simple as prod.dat, qa.dat, dev.dat. If one of those files exist, a case tells you what region you are in. However - that also has risk. Some newbie deletes it. If it's hidden - what if the SA doesn't copy it to the new box?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

stack region

how can i determine that what percentage of stack region is currently is used? (i am using tru64 unix) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yakari
2 Replies

2. Solaris

How can i take private region backup in veritas

Hello experts, I am using Veritas Volume Manager 5.0. How can i take private region backup and restoration. thanks in advance... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: younus_syed
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can sed perform editing operations ONLY in the matched region?

Hi: Let's suppose I want to replace all the | by > ONLY when | is between . Usually (and it works) I would do something like sed -e 's/\(\*\)|\(*\]\)/\1>\2/g' where I have to "save" some portions of the matched region and use them with the \n metacharacter. I was wondering if I could... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: islegmar
2 Replies

4. Programming

Single semare critical region problem???

Hi guys, I hope everybody is doing fine. I have written this small program which solves the critical region problem. Only on of the two threads can make changes to a common variable called counter. I am using two semaphores, is it possible to write the same program using only one semaphore? Here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Region between lines

How can I find the regions between specific lines? I have a file which contains lines like this: chr1 0 17388 0 chr1 17388 17444 1 chr1 17444 17599 2 chr1 17599 17601 1 chr1 17601 569791 0 chr1 569791 569795 1 chr1 569795 569808 2 chr1 569808 569890 3 chr1 569890 570047 4 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: linseyr
9 Replies

6. AIX

Change lv REGION in HDISK1

Dears my rootvg is missed up i can not extend the /opt as soon as i try to extend the Filesystem its give me that there is not enough space . as there any way to change the REGION of the LVs in HDISK1 ? lspv -p hdisk0 hdisk0: PP RANGE STATE REGION LV NAME TYPE ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with underline text based on specific region

Input file 2 5 ASFGEWTEWRQWEQ 10 20 QEWIORUEIOUEWORUQWEQWRQRQWGQWGFQ 1 6 WRQTQWTQTQWTQT Desired output file 2 5 ASFGEWTEWRQWEQ 10 20 QEWIORUEIOUEWORUQWEQWRQRQWGQWGFQ 1 6 WRQTQWTQTQWTQT Column 1 is the start region of underline the text in column 3; Column 2 is the end region of... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpp_beginner
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a command to change the port region

portsuf=25 port=20925 I need to replace 09 with 25 It should be like 22525. Can some please help with command or script. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas85
4 Replies

9. Programming

Merge two strings by overlapped region

Hello, I am trying to concatenate two strings by merging the overlapped region. E.g. Seq1=ACGTGCCC Seq2=CCCCCGTGTGTGT Seq_merged=ACGTGCCCCCGTGTGTGTFunction strcat(char *dest, char *src) appends the src string to the dest string, ignoring the overlapped parts (prefix of src and suffix of dest).... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
30 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mean score value by ID over a defined genomic region

Hi, I would like to know how can I get a mean score value by ID over a defined genomic region. Here it is an example: file1 12 100 103 id1 12 110 112 id1 12 200 203 id2 file2 12 100 101 1 12 101 102 0.8 12 102 103 0.7 12 110 111 2.5 12 111 112 2.8 12 200 201 10.1 12 201 202... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fadista
7 Replies
XEmptyRegion(3) 						  XLIB FUNCTIONS						   XEmptyRegion(3)

NAME
XEmptyRegion, XEqualRegion, XPointInRegion, XRectInRegion - determine if regions are empty or equal SYNTAX
Bool XEmptyRegion(Region r); Bool XEqualRegion(Region r1, Region r2); Bool XPointInRegion(Region r, int x, int y); int XRectInRegion(Region r, int x, int y, unsigned int width, unsigned int height); ARGUMENTS
r Specifies the region. r1 r2 Specify the two regions. width height Specify the width and height, which define the rectangle. x y Specify the x and y coordinates, which define the point or the coordinates of the upper-left corner of the rectangle. DESCRIPTION
The XEmptyRegion function returns True if the region is empty. The XEqualRegion function returns True if the two regions have the same offset, size, and shape. The XPointInRegion function returns True if the point (x, y) is contained in the region r. The XRectInRegion function returns RectangleIn if the rectangle is entirely in the specified region, RectangleOut if the rectangle is entirely out of the specified region, and RectanglePart if the rectangle is partially in the specified region. SEE ALSO
XCreateRegion(3), XIntersectRegion(3) Xlib - C Language X Interface X Version 11 libX11 1.5.0 XEmptyRegion(3)