Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Understand Virtual functions Internals Post 302571761 by rupeshkp728 on Tuesday 8th of November 2011 07:52:30 AM
Old 11-08-2011
Understand Virtual functions Internals

I am just trying to understand the virtual fns. concept.

I know that if I have a virtual fn. in a base class and its overridden fn. in derived class then based upon the address of base/derived object stored in the base class pointer the fns. will be called.

In the below code I had kept the show() fn. as virtual and it used to call properly the base and derived classes show().

But when I removed the virtual tag from show() then why does not it calls derived show() inspite of base class pointer having address of derived class object?

Code:

class base
{
public:
    base()
    {
        printf("Base Cons\n");
    }

void show()
    {
        printf("Base Show\n");
    }
};

class der: public base
{
public:
    der()
    {
        printf("Der Cons\n");
    }

void show()
    {
        printf("Der Show\n");
    }
};

void yahoo(base* bpointer)
{
    printf("Address in base pointer = %u\n",bpointer);
    bpointer->show();
}

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
{
    class base bobj, *bptr;
    class der dobj;

bptr = & bobj;
    printf("Base obj adress = %u\n",&bobj);
    yahoo(bptr);

bptr = &dobj;
    printf("Base obj adress = %u\n",&dobj);
    yahoo(bptr);

return 0;
}

Output of code:
Code:
Base Cons
Base Cons
Der Cons
Base obj adress = 1245027
Address in base pointer = 1245027
Base Show
Base obj adress = 1245003
Address in base pointer = 1245003
Base Show

Last edited by rupeshkp728; 11-08-2011 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: added tags around code

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

on unix internals

will anybody tell me how can i access all the fields of process table .if there is any structure and a system call please specify . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vish_shan
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

HP-UX Internals Book

. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Driver
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Have to log out of a virtual terminal twice in order to exit virtual terminals

Not really a newbie, but I have a strange problem and I'm not sure how to further troubleshoot it. I have to log out of a virtual terminal by typing exit, then exit again as in: woodnt@toshiba-laptop ~ $ exit logout woodnt@toshiba-laptop ~ $ exit logout I DON'T have to do this when I'm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Narnie
1 Replies

4. AIX

Need help understand Virtual Processors

First of all I have performed a Google search and internal search and found several descriptions but nothing I can wrap my head around and feel 100% confident about. I feel really silly for asking this as I manage a P6 570 with 12 lpars but I have difficulity with Virtual Processors. I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: juredd1
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Don't understand how RS functions in awk

I learn using RS in awk to extract portion of file in this forum which is wonderful solution to the problem. However, I don't understand how exactly it operates. I don't quite understand the mechanism behind how searching for /DATA2/ can result in extracting the whole section under "DATA2" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joe228
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i understand if a Java Virtual Machine is installed on Unix??

Hello, i would like to figute out, if there is any JVM installed on my unix account. How can i figure that out?? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g_p
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Change hostID of Solaris 10 virtual/guest machine installed by Virtual Box 4.1.12 on Windows-XP host

Trying to set or modify the randomly set hostID of a Solaris 10 virtual/guest machine that I installed on a Windows-XP host machine (using Virtual Box 4.1.12). I was able to set/modify the hostname of the Solaris 10 virtual/guest machine during installation as well as via the Virtual Box... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Matt_VB
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute functions or initiate functions as command line parameters for below requirement?

I have 7 functions those need to be executed as command line inputs, I tried with below code it’s not executing function. If I run the ./script 2 then fun2 should execute , how to initiate that function I tried case and if else also, how to initiate function from command line if then... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
8 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

How to switch from SVR4/BSD internals to Linux internals?

Hello, Long-time Unix hacker here - I've worked on four variants of the kernel prior to the introduction of Linux. In my spare time, I've written Linux (Ubuntu) device drivers, kernel modules, cross-compiled, and built the kernel. I'd like to do Linux internals/device drivers as a day job,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OriginalVersion
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Providing virtual machine priority in kvm based virtual machines

Hi All, Is there any way I can prioritize my VMs when there is resource crunch in host machine so that some VMs will be allocated more vcpu, more memory than other VMs in kvm/qemu hypervisor based virtual machines? Lets say in my cloud environment my Ubuntu 16 compute hosts are running some... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SanjayK
0 Replies
ost::IPV6Validator(3)					     Library Functions Manual					     ost::IPV6Validator(3)

NAME
ost::IPV6Validator - Classes derived from IPV6Address would require an specific validator to pass to the IPV6Address constructor. SYNOPSIS
#include <address.h> Inherited by ost::IPV6MulticastValidator. Public Member Functions IPV6Validator () Constructor. virtual ~IPV6Validator () Keeps compilers happy. virtual void operator() (const in6_addr address) const =0 Pure virtual application operator. Detailed Description Classes derived from IPV6Address would require an specific validator to pass to the IPV6Address constructor. This is a base class for classes of function objects used by such derived classes. Author: Federico Montesino p5087@quintero.fie.us.es Abstract base class for derived inet addresses validators. Constructor &; Destructor Documentation ost::IPV6Validator::IPV6Validator () [inline] Constructor. Does not deal with any state. virtual ost::IPV6Validator::~IPV6Validator () [inline], [virtual] Keeps compilers happy. Member Function Documentation virtual void ost::IPV6Validator::operator() (const in6_addraddress) const [pure virtual] Pure virtual application operator. Apply the validation algorithm specific to derived classes. Implemented in ost::IPV6MulticastValidator. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for GNU CommonC++ from the source code. GNU CommonC++ Sat Jun 23 2012 ost::IPV6Validator(3)