Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Help me choose an OS for my old intel 845 board Post 302571485 by Mooches on Monday 7th of November 2011 01:32:32 PM
Old 11-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
"Lock up" is still a bit vague unfortunately. It tells you something bad's happening in the kernel, but doesn't tell you what.

If it really is video problems, using the VESA driver instead of trying to use a native Intel one may stop the freezing.

Also, did you ever try any kernel boot options, like "irqpoll"? I had a board that would lock up Linux quickly because the BIOS gave it faulty IRQ assignments. "irqpoll" helped at the cost of some performance. Also worth a try are "noapic" and "noacpi".
Hi Corona688, I don't know how to describe it any better at the moment as I don't have those distros set up so I can look up exact error codes and system logs, but it's a well known issue if you search through google, and even trying workarounds suggested by techies and developers, like using nomodeset and noapic and more hideous commands and hacking the system to use vesa or install patches like Bryan'svideopatch, or some such similarly named thing, doesn't result in a stable system. I'll try to find the link to the i845g graphics bug reports on the web, but don't think that would be helpful as there doesn't seem to be any working fix for it. But still, I'm wondering if there are alternative systems, maybe some unix or beos or bsd or something which would be compatible with the hardware. I'm asking as I'd like to know if these OS's would work (because linux distros won't) before I venture forth and download a big iso!!

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

intel 845, framebuffer£¿

I can only use 771£¬ Anybody can use 787, 788, 789 modes£¬ 3ks£¡ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hw.uestc
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

choose y or n

Hi, I have written a choice based shell script some thing like this: if (y) execute code .... fi else if(n) terminating the problem with the above scripting is it will work as far as the options are y or n. but i want to reiterate the same code when the user inputs something else... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to choose random columns

Hello! Can anybody suggest about the fastest way of extracting "n" random columns from a very large file (tab separated) having thousands of columns, where n can be any specified number. Thanks! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mira
10 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Which Tablet to Choose?

Currently in the process of looking for a tablet. Which one is best? Thanks Benjamin Mauerberger (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hlinks12
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to choose the RIGHT PID?

I can find a single PID and copy it to a variable (thanks to the forum), but I have a slightly tougher situation: When a user logs into our system, it creates 5 processes example: root 21160 3096 0 07:16 ? 00:00:00 sshd: cs113 cs113 21164 21160 0 07:16 ? 00:00:00... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Igrok
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Which Product to Choose?

Okay, I have an Asus A8NSLI board with an Athlon 64 and I dunno, maybe 8gig Ram and Windows has crashed for the last time so I've finally had enough and I'll make it a Unix machine. I have a new 1Tera drive and I'm all set to go. Which brand of Unix/Linux can you advise me to go for? The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abrogard
3 Replies
WHAT-PATCH(1)                                                 General Commands Manual                                                WHAT-PATCH(1)

NAME
what-patch - detect which patch system a Debian package uses SYNOPSIS
what-patch [options] DESCRIPTION
what-patch examines the debian/rules file to determine which patch system the Debian package is using. what-patch should be run from the root directory of the Debian source package. OPTIONS
Listed below are the command line options for what-patch: -h, --help Display a help message and exit. -v Enable verbose mode. This will include the listing of any files modified outside or the debian/ directory and report any additional details about the patch system if available. AUTHORS
what-patch was written by Kees Cook <kees@ubuntu.com>, Siegfried-A. Gevatter <rainct@ubuntu.com>, and Daniel Hahler <ubuntu@thequod.de>, among others. This manual page was written by Jonathan Patrick Davies <jpds@ubuntu.com>. Both are released under the GNU General Public License, version 3 or later. SEE ALSO
The Ubuntu MOTU team has some documentation about patch systems at the Ubuntu wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/PatchSystems cdbs-edit-patch(1), dbs-edit-patch(1), dpatch-edit-patch(1) DEBIAN Debian Utilities WHAT-PATCH(1)