Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Determine free space in a Disk device Post 302571467 by h@foorsa.biz on Monday 7th of November 2011 12:02:52 PM
Old 11-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by polavan
But I had allocated 35gb to this VM.
Going back to my original question : How to determine how much space is left in the Disk from format or any other command? Is it from the partition table that u realized that there is no space left ?
Thank you Foorza.
How did I know ? Well I assumed that you have performed a default install for Solaris.
To get information about the disk
Code:
$iostat -En

If the disk is a supported disk, it usually says it's size in the "Product" field.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Device Free Space

Hi, I've tried to find answer to this question in the forums but i haven't found it. How can i know the space left in my devices (tape, disk, floppy, etc...)? It is very important to know at least the free space in the TAPE device. Can someone help? Thanx in advance. Jorge (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jorge.ferreira
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

available disk space on disk device???

Hello, Can someone please tell me which command to use to determine the available disk space on a given disk device? I have to write a shell script that compresses files and stores them in a specific location but I am not sure how "conservative" I should be? Thanks in advance! Al. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to determine the disk space usage

how can we determine the disk space used by a certain directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
1 Replies

4. Programming

free disk space calc

I everybody!! How can i use statvfs() to calculate disk usage and free disk space?? Im using this code: /* Any file on the filesystem in question */ char *filename = "/home/nesto/test/test.cpp"; struct statvfs buf; if (!statvfs(filename, &buf)) { ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ninjanesto
1 Replies

5. AIX

Determine space on a disk

Hello, I am trying to understand how to calculate actual disk space on a logical volume. Based on the output below, how would I convert the total and free PPs to MB and GB? Thank you. # lsvg rootvg VOLUME GROUP: rootvg VG IDENTIFIER: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkranes
4 Replies

6. Linux

shrinking root partition and using free space to create a block device

We are intending to protect a set of user specified files using LVM mirroring where the protected space on which the user files are stored is mirrored on an LV on a different disk. Our problem is that for a user with a custom layout has installed linux with 2 partitons for swap and / and there is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kickdgrass
0 Replies

7. AIX

Determine disk space in AIX

Hi I need to extend a FS in AIX but Im not sure on how to calculate the free space Please advise if my math is correct: -------PP SIZE: 64 megabyte(s) --------TOTAL PPs: 1086 (69504 megabytes) so the total size of volume is 64 * 1086 = 69504 MB (695GB) Free PP is-- FREE... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Free space at disk

Hi, I would like to create the new file system(mount point) in our unix server. before that i would like to know the total free space available in /home directory. Can you please let me know, how to find free space available for new filesystem? Be careful with your spelling and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

9. Solaris

No space left on device but free space and inodes are available...

hi guys, me again ;) i recently opened a thread about physical to zone migration. My zone is mounted over a "bigger" LUN (500GB) and step is now to move the old files, from the physical server, to my zone. We are talking about 22mio of files. i used rsync to do that and every time at... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: beta17
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need help!! disk free space script

i want to write a shell script,when disk uses is 90% then automatically send a email to distribution list (group member)...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sonu pandey
1 Replies
APMLABEL(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       APMLABEL(8)

NAME
apmlabel -- update disk label from Apple Partition Map SYNOPSIS
apmlabel [-fqrw] device DESCRIPTION
apmlabel is used to update a NetBSD disk label from the Apple Partition Map found on disks that were previously used on Mac OS systems (or other APM using systems). apmlabel scans the APM contained in the first blocks of the disk and generates additional partition entries for the disk from the entries found. Driver and patches partitions are ignored. Each APM entry which does not have an equivalent partition in the disk label (equivalent in having the same size and offset) is added to the first free partition slot in the disk label. A free partition slot is defined as one with an fstype of 'unused' and a size of zero ('0'). If there are not enough free slots in the disk label, a warning will be issued. The raw partition (typically partition c, but d on i386 and some other platforms) is left alone during this process. By default, the proposed changed disk label will be displayed and no disk label update will occur. Available options: -f Force an update, even if there has been no change. -q Performs operations in a quiet fashion. -r In conjunction with -w, also update the on-disk label. -w Update the in-core label if it has been changed. SEE ALSO
disklabel(8), dkctl(8), pdisk(8) HISTORY
The apmlabel command appeared in NetBSD 5.0. BSD
May 19, 2007 BSD