Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting PERL : check + or - sign in a variable Post 302571434 by durden_tyler on Monday 7th of November 2011 10:56:57 AM
Old 11-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarasan
if it is string scalar variable, use regex.
Looks like the integer test works with strings as well.

Code:
$
$ perl -le '$x = "0"; if ($x >= 0) {print "positive"} else {print "negative"}'
positive
$
$ perl -le '$x = "1"; if ($x >= 0) {print "positive"} else {print "negative"}'
positive
$
$ perl -le '$x = "9"; if ($x >= 0) {print "positive"} else {print "negative"}'
positive
$
$ perl -le '$x = "+9"; if ($x >= 0) {print "positive"} else {print "negative"}'
positive
$
$ perl -le '$x = "+0.99"; if ($x >= 0) {print "positive"} else {print "negative"}'
positive
$
$ perl -le '$x = "-0.99"; if ($x >= 0) {print "positive"} else {print "negative"}'
negative
$
$ perl -le '$x = "-1"; if ($x >= 0) {print "positive"} else {print "negative"}'
negative
$
$

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sign on/Sign off logging script

I'd like to make a script that I can execute every time I sign on to my linux box that keeps track of the time and allows to me to add a remark to a file. So basically once I log in, I run the script, and it outputs the date and time to a text file (log.txt). But that isn't my problem. I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Glider
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a variable is a number - perl

Logic of code if ( $var is a number ) { Do something } else { Do something else } My question is: How do I check if a variable is a number. All the reg ex that I came up with to match this is failing. Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: garric
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl regular expressions don't like the @ ("at") sign.

Take a look at this code: #!/usr/bin/perl use 5.008; $_ = "somename@address.com"; if(/\@\w+\.com/) { print "\n\nmight be an email address\n\n"; } else { print "\n\nnot an email address\n\n"; } Shouldn't the /\@\w+\.com/ evaluate as true? I've also tried: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable with @ sign is driving me crazy

Ok so I am working on a command that is going to do a Dig @ a certain IP address which is enclosed in a variable. Now I thought I had this figure out because it works. The problem is that it does not ALWAYS work. the variable is IP=192.168.1.1 the commands I have tried are dig... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrEddy
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Variable Check Script

I am working on a perl script that is used to update a list of hosts to a certain file but I am having an issue when I try to perform a check to make sure the user enters valid information. The following is what I have currently written for the script: IPINPUT: print "Enter IP Address: ";... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Takau
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl code to check date and check files in particular dir

Hi Experts, I am checking how to get day in Perl. If it is “Monday” I need to process…below is the pseudo code. Can you please prove the code for below condition. if (today=="Monday" ) { while (current_time LESS THAN 9:01 AM) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to Perl Mail @ sign search and replace in a file

HI I'm terribly new to perl .. I;ve been trying to use this command to search and replace entries in a file I tried this and it works perl -p -i -e 's/old/new/' filename Problem is that I have a list of email addresses and I need to serach and replace the entire email address as my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable has value with = or == sign

I have a script which is reading value from property file and doing replacement in source location which contains multiple files. property file has values abc=xyz; yux=1;version=3.0; bcd=123;apple==mango when my script does search and reads value from property file. its replacing value... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shamkamde
1 Replies

9. Programming

Perl: restrict perl from automaticaly creating a hash branches on check

My issue is that the perl script (as I have done it so far) created empty branches when I try to check some branches on existence. I am using multydimentional hashes: found it as the best way for information that I need to handle. Saing multidimentional I means hash of hashes ... So, I have ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to escape colon sign from variable in shell?

Hello, Below script works fine when I manually enter required information for each file. When it comes to shell in auto mode, it gives various errors. I am under ubuntu 14.04 / trusty. manual_run.sh: #!/bin/bash /usr/bin/ffmpeg -start_at_zero -copyts -i nicki.mp4 -c:v mpeg2video \ -b:v 500k... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
3 Replies
Courier::Config(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Courier::Config(3pm)

NAME
Courier::Config - Class providing configuration information for Perl modules related to the Courier MTA SYNOPSIS
use Courier::Config; # Courier base configuration: my $config_dir = Courier::Config->config_dir; my $runtime_dir = Courier::Config->runtime_dir; my $courier_executable = Courier::Config->courier_executable; my $courier_version = Courier::Config->courier_version; # Courier::Filter configuration: my $filter_conf_file = Courier::Config->filter_conf_file; DESCRIPTION
This class provides configuration information for Perl modules related to the Courier MTA, e.g. installation specific file system paths. Courier base configuration The following methods provide information about Courier's base configuration: config_dir: returns string The base configuration directory of Courier. runtime_dir: returns string The directory where Courier keeps the message queue ("msgq", "msgs", "tmp") and courierfilter sockets ("filters", "allfilters"). courier_executable: returns string The full path of the Courier daemon executable. courier_version: returns version The version number of the Courier installation. Courier::Filter configuration The following Courier::Filter configuration information is provided: filter_conf_file: returns string The absolute file name of the Courier::Filter courier-filter-perl configuration file. SEE ALSO
For AVAILABILITY, SUPPORT, and LICENSE information, see Courier::Filter::Overview. AUTHOR
Julian Mehnle <julian@mehnle.net> perl v5.14.2 2011-12-27 Courier::Config(3pm)