Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Time difference
Operating Systems SCO Time difference Post 302571389 by jgt on Monday 7th of November 2011 08:21:16 AM
Old 11-07-2011
'uptime' gets its data from the file /etc/utmp. It is possible that the file has been corrupted.
Also since we changed to standard time:
If boot time was Saturday Nov 5, 2011 at 23:59.Daylight savings time.
At 8 am Sunday Nov 6 is uptime 8 hours or 9 hours?
Also your premise that uptime starts when /etc/cron starts is false.
If cron is restarted, or if there is maintenance done in single user mode the the times will be different.

Last edited by jgt; 11-07-2011 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: typo
This User Gave Thanks to jgt For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time difference calculations

Hi All.. Does anyone have a useful function where I can enter two date/timestamps and it calculates the difference in time in hours, minutes and seconds between the 2? Any feedback much appreciated. :D Kind Regards Satnam (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satnamx
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

time difference

Hi, i have one hard coded time which will be 23:45 and one will be sysdate (same date) and time less than 23:45. i want to start my job at 23:45 and the input file will be arriving before that. so i want to make sure that the task starts only at 23:45 and from the input file time till 23:45... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: decci_7
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time difference

Hi All, I know there has been a lot of things that have been written about date arithmetic, but perhaps I have missed something.. The following script takes the input from a file name fail.txt with the following format: CLASSDB 20060328122808 CPPARMS 20060814222056 Where $1 is a file name... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Segwar
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate this time difference

Hi, Please help me in calculating the time difference between below mentioned timestamps. a=07/17/2007 02:20:00 AM MST b=07/17/2007 02:07:46 AM MST Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prat007
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time Difference

Hi Experts... I want to calculate the time difference between two date-time values (using ksh). It can return the difference in hours (or whatever..) For eg: time_diff "09/12/2009 12:30" "09/10/2009 12:30" should return 1464 hours... $time_diff "09/12/2009 12:30:00" "09/10/2009... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PRKS
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time difference

Hi, I have a tab delimited file with GMT time. How to convert the GMT to PST time and store the line only if date falls to 2 days ago date. Say today is 16, date should be of 14. or else remove the line abc - - efg - - hij - - kln - - ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate time difference between start and end time of a process!

Hello All, I have a problem calculating the time difference between start and end timings...! the timings are given by 24hr format.. Start Date : 08/05/10 12:55 End Date : 08/09/10 06:50 above values are in mm/dd/yy hh:mm format. Now the thing is, 7th(08/07/10) and... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time Difference

Is this way of finding the time difference a correct way of doing it or is it error-prone. #****Check if lastrun exist. If exists check if the difference is 1 hour or not and act accordingly*********************** if ; then lastrun_time=`cat $LOG_DIR/lastrun` curr_time=`date +%s` ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreekanthragi
4 Replies

9. Programming

time difference in MySql

Hi All I want the time difference from current date time For eg. From current date time i want to subtract 10 hrs and after subtracting i want the resultant in date time in MySql (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time difference between two time stamps

Hi Friends, I have 2 varaibles which contain START=`date '+ %m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S'` END=`date '+ %m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S'` i want the time difference between the two variables in Seconds. Plz help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
2 Replies
UPTIME(1)							   User Commands							 UPTIME(1)

NAME
uptime - Tell how long the system has been running. SYNOPSIS
uptime [options] DESCRIPTION
uptime gives a one line display of the following information. The current time, how long the system has been running, how many users are currently logged on, and the system load averages for the past 1, 5, and 15 minutes. This is the same information contained in the header line displayed by w(1). System load averages is the average number of processes that are either in a runnable or uninterruptable state. A process in a runnable state is either using the CPU or waiting to use the CPU. A process in uninterruptable state is waiting for some I/O access, eg waiting for disk. The averages are taken over the three time intervals. Load averages are not normalized for the number of CPUs in a system, so a load average of 1 means a single CPU system is loaded all the time while on a 4 CPU system it means it was idle 75% of the time. OPTIONS
-p, --pretty show uptime in pretty format -h, --help display this help text -s, --since system up since, in yyyy-mm-dd HH:MM:SS format -V, --version display version information and exit FILES
/var/run/utmp information about who is currently logged on /proc process information AUTHORS
uptime was written by Larry Greenfield <greenfie@gauss.rutgers.edu> and Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm@sunsite.unc.edu> SEE ALSO
ps(1), top(1), utmp(5), w(1) REPORTING BUGS
Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> procps-ng December 2012 UPTIME(1)