Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers SSH from MacOS X or PPC Debian to SUSE # Odd terminal chars # Eventual scripting Post 302570941 by pagrus on Friday 4th of November 2011 07:34:56 PM
Old 11-04-2011
SSH from MacOS X or PPC Debian to SUSE # Odd terminal chars # Eventual scripting

Well. I was recently given access to my work's machine via SSH. I'm pretty sure it's a SUSE machine, uname -a gives
Code:
Linux machinename 2.6.16.60-0.54.5-bigsmp #1 SMP Fri Sep 4 01:28:03 UTC 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I'm not doing anything all that exciting, mostly data entry stuff.

We connect to the machine from inside the office using PowerTerm which I would prefer not to use if I can help it. In PowerTerm we specify the terminal type to be SCO-ANSI but all other settings (port numbers, security type, etc) appear to be ones that I am used to seeing.

When I connect via SSH using iTerm, Apple's Terminal/X11, or Debian's terminal I get odd behavior like the screen not refreshing and keyboard mismatching-- eg if I type "05" the screen will echo " =14;12C=10;12C"

The actual program I am using on the remote machine is written in COBOL. Behavior outside of the program in question appears to be normal, eg I can use standard UNIX commands and keyboard translation is normal. I have access to the usual home documents like .profile and .bashrc

I would eventually like to script some of the more mundane tasks but first is there something I can do to fix the keyboard issues?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with scripting APT / dpkg in Debian 4

Hello, I am attempting to write a (bash) shell script that will do some basic reporting based on the APT utilities and dpkg. I need the following in the report: Packages installed (COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l | grep '/^ii/' > packages_installed) Packages not installed I suppose that I can do ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: orspain
0 Replies

2. Programming

is it SUSE or RHEL or Debian. How to detect programmatically?

Hi Gurus, I want to programmatically detect what Linux flavour I have in my m/c, detailed OS-name and its version, e.g. is it RHEL, SUSE, Debian etc. ---------------------------------------------------------------- Flavour OS-Nname version... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnamurthig
4 Replies

3. SuSE

SFTP with Suse 9.3 need help with Update ssh

Hi eryone, I'm new here. Since I'm a graphic designer and not an admin, I need to learn a lot from the first step, so please be patient with me. ;-) Most of my skills are self taught with howtos, so there might be some lack of wisdom in basics. I've setup a Suse-System (9.3) with a few upload... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rezent
3 Replies

4. Debian

How to exit debian server terminal?

I have an situation that are quite strange to me. I am not able to exit the server terminal and enter back into my home computer terminal by the command exit like I used to be able to exit the server terminal with before. I end up into my root shell again without even typing the root password like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jonathan Sander
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell scripting to determine special chars in file

Hi, I need all your help to achieve the below functionality. I have a big 2 GB file and inside the file we need to identify, whether having a comma(,) or pipe(|) or tab or fixed position or semicolon(;) delimiter. If any of those delimiter found need to replace the file with pipe(|)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lkeswar
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminal running bash/rsync script does not close with exit (MacOS High SIerra)

Hello, I am running a bash script to do an rsync back on a computer running MacOS High Sierra. This is the script I am using, #!/bin/bash # main backup location, trailing slash included backup_loc="/Volumes/Archive_Volume/00_macos_backup/" # generic backup function function backup {... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to split data with a delimiter having chars and special chars

Hi Team, I have a file a1.txt with data as follows. dfjakjf...asdfkasj</EnableQuotedIDs><SQL><SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The delimiter string: <SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! dlm="<SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The above command is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
7 Replies
XON(1)							      General Commands Manual							    XON(1)

NAME
xon - start an X program on a remote machine SYNOPSIS
xon remote-host [-access] [-debug] [-name window-name] [-nols] [-screen screen-no] [-user user-name] [command ...] DESCRIPTION
Xon runs the specified command (default xterm -ls) on the remote machine using rsh, remsh, or rcmd. Xon passes the DISPLAY, XAUTHORITY and XUSERFILESEARCHPATH environment variables to the remote command. When no command is specified, xon runs 'xterm -ls'. It additionally specifies the application name to be 'xterm-remote-host' and the win- dow title to be '-fIremote-host'. Xon can only work when the remote host will allow you to log in without a password, by having an entry in the .rhosts file permitting access. OPTIONS
Note that the options follow the remote host name (as they do with rlogin). -access Runs xhost locally to add the remote host to the host access list in the X server. This won't work unless xhost is given permission to modify the access list. -debug Normally, xon disconnects the remote process from stdin, stdout and stderr to eliminate the daemon processes which usually connect them across the network. Specifying the -debug option leaves them connected so that error messages from the remote execution are sent back to the originating host. -name window-name This specifies a different application name and window title for the default command (xterm). -nols Normally xon passes the -ls option to the remote xterm; this option suspends that behaviour. -screen screen-no This changes the screen number of the DISPLAY variable passed to the remote command. -user user-name By default, xon simply uses rsh/remsh/rcmd to connect to the remote machine using the same user name as on the local machine. This option cause xon to specify an alternative user name. This will not work unless you have authorization to access the remote account, by placing an appropriate entry in the remote users .rhosts file. BUGS
Xon can get easily confused when the remote-host, user-name or various environment variable values contain white space. Xon has no way to send the appropriate X authorization information to the remote host. X Version 11 scripts 1.0.1 XON(1)