Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers SSH from MacOS X or PPC Debian to SUSE # Odd terminal chars # Eventual scripting Post 302570941 by pagrus on Friday 4th of November 2011 07:34:56 PM
Old 11-04-2011
SSH from MacOS X or PPC Debian to SUSE # Odd terminal chars # Eventual scripting

Well. I was recently given access to my work's machine via SSH. I'm pretty sure it's a SUSE machine, uname -a gives
Code:
Linux machinename 2.6.16.60-0.54.5-bigsmp #1 SMP Fri Sep 4 01:28:03 UTC 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I'm not doing anything all that exciting, mostly data entry stuff.

We connect to the machine from inside the office using PowerTerm which I would prefer not to use if I can help it. In PowerTerm we specify the terminal type to be SCO-ANSI but all other settings (port numbers, security type, etc) appear to be ones that I am used to seeing.

When I connect via SSH using iTerm, Apple's Terminal/X11, or Debian's terminal I get odd behavior like the screen not refreshing and keyboard mismatching-- eg if I type "05" the screen will echo " =14;12C=10;12C"

The actual program I am using on the remote machine is written in COBOL. Behavior outside of the program in question appears to be normal, eg I can use standard UNIX commands and keyboard translation is normal. I have access to the usual home documents like .profile and .bashrc

I would eventually like to script some of the more mundane tasks but first is there something I can do to fix the keyboard issues?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with scripting APT / dpkg in Debian 4

Hello, I am attempting to write a (bash) shell script that will do some basic reporting based on the APT utilities and dpkg. I need the following in the report: Packages installed (COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l | grep '/^ii/' > packages_installed) Packages not installed I suppose that I can do ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: orspain
0 Replies

2. Programming

is it SUSE or RHEL or Debian. How to detect programmatically?

Hi Gurus, I want to programmatically detect what Linux flavour I have in my m/c, detailed OS-name and its version, e.g. is it RHEL, SUSE, Debian etc. ---------------------------------------------------------------- Flavour OS-Nname version... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnamurthig
4 Replies

3. SuSE

SFTP with Suse 9.3 need help with Update ssh

Hi eryone, I'm new here. Since I'm a graphic designer and not an admin, I need to learn a lot from the first step, so please be patient with me. ;-) Most of my skills are self taught with howtos, so there might be some lack of wisdom in basics. I've setup a Suse-System (9.3) with a few upload... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rezent
3 Replies

4. Debian

How to exit debian server terminal?

I have an situation that are quite strange to me. I am not able to exit the server terminal and enter back into my home computer terminal by the command exit like I used to be able to exit the server terminal with before. I end up into my root shell again without even typing the root password like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jonathan Sander
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell scripting to determine special chars in file

Hi, I need all your help to achieve the below functionality. I have a big 2 GB file and inside the file we need to identify, whether having a comma(,) or pipe(|) or tab or fixed position or semicolon(;) delimiter. If any of those delimiter found need to replace the file with pipe(|)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lkeswar
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminal running bash/rsync script does not close with exit (MacOS High SIerra)

Hello, I am running a bash script to do an rsync back on a computer running MacOS High Sierra. This is the script I am using, #!/bin/bash # main backup location, trailing slash included backup_loc="/Volumes/Archive_Volume/00_macos_backup/" # generic backup function function backup {... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to split data with a delimiter having chars and special chars

Hi Team, I have a file a1.txt with data as follows. dfjakjf...asdfkasj</EnableQuotedIDs><SQL><SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The delimiter string: <SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! dlm="<SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The above command is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
7 Replies
SSH-COPY-ID(1)						      General Commands Manual						    SSH-COPY-ID(1)

NAME
ssh-copy-id - install your public key in a remote machine's authorized_keys SYNOPSIS
ssh-copy-id [-i [identity_file]] [user@]machine DESCRIPTION
ssh-copy-id is a script that uses ssh to log into a remote machine and append the indicated identity file to that machine's ~/.ssh/autho- rized_keys file. If the -i option is given then the identity file (defaults to ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub) is used, regardless of whether there are any keys in your ssh-agent. Otherwise, if this: ssh-add -L provides any output, it uses that in preference to the identity file. If the -i option is used, or the ssh-add produced no output, then it uses the contents of the identity file. Once it has one or more fin- gerprints (by whatever means) it uses ssh to append them to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine (creating the file, and directory, if necessary.) NOTES
This program does not modify the permissions of any pre-existing files or directories. Therefore, if the remote sshd has StrictModes set in its configuration, then the user's home, ~/.ssh folder, and ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file may need to have group writability disabled manu- ally, e.g. via chmod go-w ~ ~/.ssh ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine. SEE ALSO
ssh(1), ssh-agent(1), sshd(8) OpenSSH 14 November 1999 SSH-COPY-ID(1)