Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users [Solved] Creating unformatted partition Post 302570736 by dinjo_jo on Friday 4th of November 2011 08:00:39 AM
Old 11-04-2011
Thanks parted just meets my requirements

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error in creating logical partition

Dear Members, I am using SCO-Unix 5.0.5. I have created 2 logical drives but some of the blocks are overlapped and are now giving warning during startup. I have used fsck to settle the problems but to no avail. Kindly help me to sort out the problem. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagendrajaiswal
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Creating a partition....???

I have created a pool named earthpool using zpool command. Later I created a file system named earth using zfs command. I changed the mountpoint of earth (file system) using zfs set mountpoint=/earth earthpool/earth. Where /earth is a directory created in root using mkdir. Now, I have a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharu_sri
8 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Creating /boot partition & MBR concerns

I have 40GB HD with mepis8, swap, MBR and under flags word boot. I also have a 160 GB external with a few Linux OS, no swaps, no extended etc. I am total Linux no MS I would feel more secure by resizing that sda1 partition and creating a /boot partition with the MBR housed there. Is that a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: worthamtx
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

[Solved] Problem creating print queue HP-UX -to- HP4100N

Hi all, I am new to HP-UX, using SAM I cannot make a print queue on my test server. From my test & live server as the user required and as root I can ping my printer. I have tried to clone the test print queue using the exact same options use on my live system that prints just fine. Can anyone... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: KmJohnson
9 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

[SOLVED] Creating .tar file

Hi, How to create a .tar file in windows OS.. I need to ftp tat <filename>.tar file into AIX and untar it there and will use for futher actions.. Please help.. Thanks in advance.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Creating a hidden partition that doesn't mount automatically

I have a drive full of diagnostic images (ASD), and I also use it for storage, installers, etc. When I plug it in to a booted system, it has to mount every single volume (about 25) which can take some time. I would like to keep all the ASD partitions from mounting when plugged in/at boot. I know... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
0 Replies

8. Linux

Creating /boot partition for LVM VG

Hi, I have a server booted into sysresccd (mini-linux OS) with 1 40 GB disk attached I am trying to create a volume group and restore another server into the new one However, when I try to create a partition for /boot it seems that my VG in LVM is not recognized anymore These are the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: galuzan
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Trouble creating a disk partition slice (EFI)

Hi all, I am using SPARC Solaris 11.1 with EFI labelled disks. I am new to ZFS file systems and slightly stuck when trying to create a partition (slice) on one of my LUNs. EFI labels use sectors and blocks and I am not sure how exactly it works. From here I can try and create a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: selectstar
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tranforming unformatted text to 1-column with awk

Hello, I have an input that is unformatted text, such as below. INPUT: Hola. Me llamo Davíd y soy de Andalucía. Mi color favorito es rojo. ¿Como te llamas? ¿Cuál es tu color favorito? I want to take each word and punctuation and place it on its own line, with a space in between each individual... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: owwow14
1 Replies
PARTX(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  PARTX(8)

NAME
partx - telling the kernel about presence and numbering of on-disk partitions. SYNOPSIS
partx [-a|-d|-l] [--type TYPE] [--nr M-N] [partition] disk DESCRIPTION
Given a block device ( disk ) and a partition table type , try to parse the partition table, and list the contents. Optionally add or remove partitions. This is not an fdisk - adding and removing partitions is not a change of the disk, but just telling the kernel about presence and numbering of on-disk partitions. OPTIONS
-a add specified partitions or read disk and add all partitions -d delete specified or all partitions -l list partitions. Note that the all numbers are in 512-byte sectors. --type TYPE Specify the partition type -- dos, bsd, solaris, unixware or gpt. --nr M-N Specify the range of partitions (e.g --nr 2-4). SEE ALSO
addpart(8), delpart(8), fdisk(8), parted(8), partprobe(8) AVAILABILITY
The partx command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. 11 Jan 2007 PARTX(8)