Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert date/time in reoccurring blocks of lines Post 302570732 by whizzler on Friday 4th of November 2011 07:52:19 AM
Old 11-04-2011
Great, thank you, CarloM! That does the job Smilie.

Thanks.

I guess, I should get used more to awk Smilie ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert Time and Date Stamp

I have a directory with following files in it ABC.000.DAT ABC.001.DAT ABC.002.DAT ABC.003.DAT I want to insert time and date stamp in file names like ABC.000.YYYYMMDDHHMM.DAT I able to insert the time and date stamp at the end of filename Kindly help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aajmani
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert date/time within a filename

Hi Guys, I need to script the renaming of files as followins: files: firstjd secondjo thirdjv My script needs to insert the date/time infront of the last 2 characters of the filenames above, any ideas greatly received :) the letters before the last 2 characters could change, I'm only... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooperman
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete blocks of lines from text file

Hello, Hello Firends, I have file like below. I want to remove selected blocks say abc,pqr,lst. how can i remove those blocks from file. zone abc { blah blah blah } zone xyz { blah blah blah } zone pqr { blah blah blah } (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrbhole
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete Blank Lines Between DHCP Host Blocks

Hi All, I have a dhcpd.conf file that gets static hosts added and removed via a shell script. After sometime, there becomes huge gaps of space ( blank lines ) between each host block. I tried a couple of sed one-liners; but, I can't seem to get the output I'm looking for. Also, I would like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find 5 lines and replace with 18 line in sql file where it contains multiple blocks.

My sql file xyz_abc.sql in this file there are multiple sql block in this block I need to find the following block rem Subset Rows (&&tempName.*) CREATE VIEW &&tempName.* AS SELECT * FROM &&tempName.* WHERE f is not null and replace with following code rem Subset Rows... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaheer.mic
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to split this file into blocks and then send these blocks as input to the tool called Yices?

Hello, I have a file like this: FILE.TXT: (define argc :: int) (assert ( > argc 1)) (assert ( = argc 1)) <check> # (define c :: float) (assert ( > c 0)) (assert ( = c 0)) <check> # now, i want to separate each block('#' is the delimeter), make them separate files, and then send them as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to remove all lines which exceeds a particular date & time

I have a text file which got 6th coloumn as date and 7th coloumn as time. The text contains data for last one week. I need to remove all the data whose date & time is after 03/08/2011 06:00:00 and save it on another file TEXT FILE ======== 6 dbclstr-b IXT_Web Memphis_Prod_SQL_Diff... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajiwww
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[uniq + awk?] How to remove duplicate blocks of lines in files?

Hello again, I am wanting to remove all duplicate blocks of XML code in a file. This is an example: input: <string-array name="threeItems"> <item>item1</item> <item>item2</item> <item>item3</item> </string-array> <string-array name="twoItems"> <item>item1</item> <item>item2</item>... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose lines from individual blocks to unique lines

Hello to all, happy new year 2013! May somebody could help me, is about a very similar problem to the problem I've posted here where the member rdrtx1 and bipinajith helped me a lot. https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/211147-map-values-blocks-single-line-2.html It is very... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert date/time header at top of file

I'm trying to take mrt output and put it at the top of a file along with the date and time. I was able to do it at the bottom of the file with the following printf "********** $(date) **********\n\n" >> $OUTPUT_PATH/$HOSTNAME mtr -r -w -c 10 $HOSTADDRESS >> $OUTPUT_PATH/$HOSTNAME printf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kramer65
2 Replies
ROTATELOGS(8)							    rotatelogs							     ROTATELOGS(8)

NAME
rotatelogs - Piped logging program to rotate Apache logs SYNOPSIS
rotatelogs [ -l ] [ -f ] logfile rotationtime|filesizeM [ offset ] SUMMARY
rotatelogs is a simple program for use in conjunction with Apache's piped logfile feature. It supports rotation based on a time interval or maximum size of the log. OPTIONS
-l Causes the use of local time rather than GMT as the base for the interval or for strftime(3) formatting with size-based rotation. Note that using -l in an environment which changes the GMT offset (such as for BST or DST) can lead to unpredictable results! -f Causes the logfile to be opened immediately, as soon as rotatelogs starts, instead of waiting for the first logfile entry to be read (for non-busy sites, there may be a substantial delay between when the server is started and when the first request is handled, meaning that the associated logfile does not "exist" until then, which causes problems from some automated logging tools). Available in version 2.2.9 and later. logfile The path plus basename of the logfile. If logfile includes any '%' characters, it is treated as a format string for strftime(3). Otherwise, the suffix .nnnnnnnnnn is automatically added and is the time in seconds. Both formats compute the start time from the beginning of the current period. For example, if a rotation time of 86400 is specified, the hour, minute, and second fields created from the strftime(3) format will all be zero, referring to the beginning of the current 24-hour period (midnight). rotationtime The time between log file rotations in seconds. The rotation occurs at the beginning of this interval. For example, if the rotation time is 3600, the log file will be rotated at the beginning of every hour; if the rotation time is 86400, the log file will be rotated every night at midnight. (If no data is logged during an interval, no file will be created.) filesizeM The maximum file size in megabytes followed by the letter M to specify size rather than time. offset The number of minutes offset from UTC. If omitted, zero is assumed and UTC is used. For example, to use local time in the zone UTC -5 hours, specify a value of -300 for this argument. In most cases, -l should be used instead of specifying an offset. EXAMPLES
CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/logfile 86400" common This creates the files /var/logs/logfile.nnnn where nnnn is the system time at which the log nominally starts (this time will always be a multiple of the rotation time, so you can synchronize cron scripts with it). At the end of each rotation time (here after 24 hours) a new log is started. CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs -l /var/logs/logfile.%Y.%m.%d 86400" common This creates the files /var/logs/logfile.yyyy.mm.dd where yyyy is the year, mm is the month, and dd is the day of the month. Logging will switch to a new file every day at midnight, local time. CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/logfile 5M" common This configuration will rotate the logfile whenever it reaches a size of 5 megabytes. ErrorLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/errorlog.%Y-%m-%d-%H_%M_%S 5M" This configuration will rotate the error logfile whenever it reaches a size of 5 megabytes, and the suffix to the logfile name will be cre- ated of the form errorlog.YYYY-mm-dd-HH_MM_SS. PORTABILITY
The following logfile format string substitutions should be supported by all strftime(3) implementations, see the strftime(3) man page for library-specific extensions. o %A - full weekday name (localized) o %a - 3-character weekday name (localized) o %B - full month name (localized) o %b - 3-character month name (localized) o %c - date and time (localized) o %d - 2-digit day of month o %H - 2-digit hour (24 hour clock) o %I - 2-digit hour (12 hour clock) o %j - 3-digit day of year o %M - 2-digit minute o %m - 2-digit month o %p - am/pm of 12 hour clock (localized) o %S - 2-digit second o %U - 2-digit week of year (Sunday first day of week) o %W - 2-digit week of year (Monday first day of week) o %w - 1-digit weekday (Sunday first day of week) o %X - time (localized) o %x - date (localized) o %Y - 4-digit year o %y - 2-digit year o %Z - time zone name o %% - literal `%' Apache HTTP Server 2008-05-10 ROTATELOGS(8)