Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How iptables directs to localhost in this series of iptable rules Post 302570585 by Corona688 on Thursday 3rd of November 2011 04:57:23 PM
Old 11-03-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnie
#4 is dropping broadcast packets, but I'm not exactly sure where those would come from. #4 and #5 I have found on other sites that on networks with Windows systems on them, there will be a lot of broadcast and multicast packets on them that will hog the logs, so it just drops them. Does this make since? If not, other explainations are welcome. Not sure what Windows is doing here, but it seems to be in some of the "best practices" info on firewall building.
Older versions of MS Messenger spam broadcast messages continuously.

I don't see why the firewall needs to care about this either.
Quote:
#6 I understand the difference, but wonder why sometimes things are just dropped (and therefore silent) and if everything makes it through the rules to this point, it might be chosen to use are REJECT and thus send back a TCP RST packet alerting them that they got a "live" system. Just curious on this one.
That's often why things are DROPped instead of REJECTed, yes.

Some firewalls even have a 'tarpit' sort of thing to dump known-hostile connections into. Tarpitted hosts get just enough response from the server to think they've connected, but they haven't. Tarpitted connections still take the usual ten minutes timeout before dying. I think it's a strategy against DDOS.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Iptables rules at boot

Hi I have small home network and I want to block some forums on web When I use this iptables -A INPUT -s forum -j DROP rules is applied but when I restart some of PC rules are not present any more also I tried to save firewall settings iptables-save > /root/dsl.fw but how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
2 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Editing rules on iptables

Hello, I was playing around with iptables to setup an isolated system. On a SLES10 system, I ran the below to setup my first draft of rules. I noticed that the rules come into effect immediately and do not require any restart of iptables. iptables -A INPUT -j ACCEPT iptables -A OUTPUT -m... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: garric
4 Replies

3. Ubuntu

iptables rules (ubuntu)

Could someone help me with writing rules for iptables? I need a dos attacks protection for a game server. port type udp ports 27015:27030 interface: eth0 Accept all packets from all IPs Chek if IP sent more than 50 packets per second Drop all packets from this IP for 5 minutes I would be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Greenice
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

iptables Rules for my network

Hi Champs i am new in Iptables and trying to write rules for my Samba server.I took some help from internet, created one script and run from rc.local : #Allow loopback iptables -I INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT # Accept packets from Trusted network iptables -A INPUT -s my-network/subnet -j... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaibhav.T
0 Replies

5. Web Development

$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] directs to /var/www not ~/public_html

Hi all, Exactly like my title says. I am learning PHP and MySQL and I used to use /var/www/ to host (contain or store) my files (.htm/.php) for testing. I could configure, finally, apache2 to use ~/public_html instead. Now I when I tried to use $_SERVER it still directs (I used echo to show... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
7 Replies

6. Proxy Server

IPtable rules for DNS/http/https traffic for specific hosts only, not working.

Hi there, I have a VPS and am working on a little side project for myself and friend which is a DNS proxy. Everything was great till recently. My VPS IP has been detected by some botnet or something, and I believe SMURF attacks are occuring. The VPS provider keeps shutting down my VPS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phi0x
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

iptables help with rules

Hi, I've been struggling with this all morning and seem to have a blind spot on what the problem is. I'm trying to use iptables to block traffic on a little cluster of raspberry pi's but to allow ssh and ping traffic within it. The cluster has a firewall server with a wifi card connecting to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
4 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

Need help for iptables rules

Hello, I did 2 scripts. The second one is, I hope, more secure. What do you think? Basic connection (no server, no router, no DHCP and the Ipv6 is disabled) #######script one #################### iptables -F iptables -X -t filter iptables -P INPUT DROP iptables -P FORWARD... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thomas342
6 Replies

9. IP Networking

iptables - formatting icmp rules

Hi, I am relatively new to firewalls and netfilter. I have a Debian Stretch router box running dnsmasq, connected to a VPN. Occasionally dnsmasq polls all of the desired DNS servers to select the fastest. When it does this it responds to replies of the non-selected DNS servers with a icmp type... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: CrazyDave
0 Replies
in.rwhod(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      in.rwhod(1M)

NAME
in.rwhod, rwhod - system status server SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/in.rwhod [ -m [ttl]] DESCRIPTION
in.rwhod is the server which maintains the database used by the rwho(1) and ruptime(1) programs. Its operation is predicated on the abil- ity to broadcast or multicast messages on a network. in.rwhod operates as both a producer and consumer of status information. As a producer of information it periodically queries the state of the system and constructs status messages which are broadcast or multicast on a network. As a consumer of information, it listens for other in.rwhod servers' status messages, validating them, then recording them in a collection of files located in the directory /var/spool/rwho. The rwho server transmits and receives messages at the port indicated in the rwho service specification, see services(4). The messages sent and received are defined in /usr/include/protocols/rwhod.h and are of the form: struct outmp { char out_line[8]; /* tty name */ char out_name[8]; /* user id */ long out_time; /* time on */ }; struct whod { char wd_vers; char wd_type; char wd_fill[2]; int wd_sendtime; int wd_recvtime; char wd_hostname[32]; int wd_loadav[3]; int wd_boottime; struct whoent { struct outmp we_utmp; int we_idle; } wd_we[1024 / sizeof (struct whoent)]; }; All fields are converted to network byte order prior to transmission. The load averages are as calculated by the w(1) program, and repre- sent load averages over the 1, 5, and 15 minute intervals prior to a server's transmission. The host name included is that returned by the uname(2) system call. The array at the end of the message contains information about the users who are logged in to the sending machine. This information includes the contents of the utmpx(4) entry for each non-idle terminal line and a value indicating the time since a char- acter was last received on the terminal line. Messages received by the rwho server are discarded unless they originated at a rwho server's port. In addition, if the host's name, as specified in the message, contains any unprintable ASCII characters, the message is discarded. Valid messages received by in.rwhod are placed in files named whod.hostname in the directory /var/spool/rwho. These files contain only the most recent message, in the format described above. Status messages are generated approximately once every 3 minutes. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -m [ ttl ] Use the rwho IP multicast address (224.0.1.3) when transmitting. Receive announcements both on this multicast address and on the IP broadcast address. If ttl is not specified in.rwhod multicasts on all interfaces but with the IP TimeToLive set to 1 (that is, packets are not forwarded by multicast routers.) If ttl is specified in.rwhod only transmits packets on one interface and setting the IP TimeToLive to the specified ttl. FILES
/var/spool/rwho/whod.* information about other machines ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrcmds | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ruptime(1), rwho(1), w(1), uname(2), services(4), utmpx(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
This service can cause network performance problems when used by several hosts on the network. It is not run at most sites by default. If used, include the -m multicast option. NOTES
This service takes up progressively more network bandwidth as the number of hosts on the local net increases. For large networks, the cost becomes prohibitive. in.rwhod should relay status information between networks. People often interpret the server dying as a machine going down. SunOS 5.10 8 Dec 2001 in.rwhod(1M)