Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Deleting folder with Date format Post 302570546 by felipe.vinturin on Thursday 3rd of November 2011 02:52:13 PM
Old 11-03-2011
Can you work with number of days?
Code:
# In this case it will look for directories from 30 until 50 (30 + 20) days ago!
countValBack=20
initVal=30
countValues=`expr ${initVal} + ${countValBack}`

basePath="./"

while [ ${countValues} -ge ${initVal} ]
do
	currDate=`date -d "${countValues} days ago" +"%Y%m%d"`
	bpDate="${basePath}/${currDate}"
	if [ -d "${bpDate}" ]
	then
		echo "Removing directory: [${bpDate}] - [${countValues}] days ago..."
		rm -rf "${bpDate}"
		if [ ${?} -eq 0 ]
		then
			echo "Removed successffully!"
		else
			echo "Failed to remove."
		fi
	fi

countValues=`expr ${countValues} - 1`
done

If not, check this link: https://www.unix.com/answers-frequent...rithmetic.html, it may help you!

Also, to delete a directory with its contents, you can use: "rm -rf <dir>" but be careful with it!

I hope it helps!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the file in a folder

hi everyone I am having some n number of files in folder I want delete a file which name has todays date example my file name is 14(todaysdate) when i want transfer files i want to delete that file which name has 14.i want delete only 14 file.need help ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivsn
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting files in folder

helloo people... I was trying to do one script that would delete all files in one folder there are 2-3 usefull files in folder all other is junk.. how to say delete all except those 3 files... thanks in advance best regards, (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert mmddyy date format to ccyyddd format??

hi, for reading a cobol indexed file i need to convert "mmddyy" date format to "ccyyddd" format. i checked the datecalc and other scripts but couldnt modify them to cater to my need:(... The datecalc gives an output which i believe is the total days till that date, but i want to convert it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bhups
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert date format to mysql date format in log file

I have a comma delimited log file which has the date as MM/DD/YY in the 2nd column, and HH:MM:SS in the 3rd column. I need to change the date format to YYYY-MM-DD and merge it with the the time HH:MM:SS. How will I got about this? Sample input 02/27/09,23:52:31 02/27/09,23:52:52... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hazno
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the contents of a folder older than X hours

Every day a new .zip file is uploaded to a folder and at mid-night the zip file is to be extracted into a /data/ folder, inside a date-named folder. # This should extract the contents of a zip file into the /data/ folder into a date based folder /usr/bin/unzip -a -o... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: worchyld
15 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing from Excel date format to MySQL date format

I have a list of dates in the following format: mm/dd/yyyy and want to change these to the MySQL standard format: yyyy-mm-dd. The dates in the original file may or may not be zero padded, so April is sometimes "04" and other times simply "4". This is what I use to change the format: sed -i '' -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename all Files in a UNIX Directory from one date format to another date format

Hi Unix Gurus, I would like to rename several files in a Unix Directory . The filenames can have more than 1 underscore ( _ ) and the last underscore is always followed by a date in the format mmddyyyy. The Extension of the files can be .txt or .pdf or .xls etc and is case insensitive ie... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pchegoor
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete oldest folder based on folder named as date

Hi, I have a script doing backup to synology server, the script create new folder each day with the date as being folder name i.e. 2018-07-30. Just before creating the new folder I want the script to find the oldest folder from the list and delete it including its content. for example... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: humble_learner
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date: invalid date trying to set Linux date in specific format

i try to set linux date & time in specific format but it keep giving me error Example : date "+%d-%m-%C%y %H:%M:%S" -d "19-01-2017 00:05:01" or date +"%d-%m-%C%y %H:%M:%S" -d "19-01-2017 00:05:01" keep giving me this error : date: invalid date ‘19-01-2017 00:05:01' Please use CODE tags... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX script to replace old date with current date dynamically in multiple files present in a folder

I am trying to work on a script where it is a *(star) delimited file has a multiple lines starts with RTG and 3rd column=TD8 I want to substring the date part and I want to replace with currentdate minus 15 days. Here is an example. iam using AIX server $ cat temp.txt RTG*888*TD8*20180201~... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shankar455
1 Replies
STRIPCHART(5)							File Formats Manual						     STRIPCHART(5)

NAME
stripchart - draws diagrams from data with PHP SYNOPSIS
The script is expected to be called as a CGI script but also works from the command line. DESCRIPTION
Stripchart prepares a series of diagrams directly from raw data. It is handy for web pages that need some graphics without too much over- head. OPTIONS
-i input FILE name of input data file (mandatory) -o output FILE name of output .gif file (default: STDOUT) -O output FILE name of output .gif file, also dumps to STDOUT -f from TIME stripchart with data starting at TIME (default: 24 hours ago) -t to TIME stripchart with data ending at TIME (default: now) -r range RANGE stripchart data centered around "from" time the size of RANGE (overrides -t) -l last LINES stripchart last number of LINES in data file (overrides -f and -t and -r) -T title TITLE title to put on graphic (default: FILE RANGE) -x column X time or "x" column (default: 2) -y column Y value or "y" column (default: 3) -Y column Y' overplot second "y" column (default: none) -b baseline VALUE overplot baseline of arbitrary value VALUE -B baseline-avg overrides -b, it plots baseline of computed average -d dump low VALUE ignore data less than VALUE -D dump high VALUE ignore data higher than VALUE -v verbose puts verbose runtime output to STDERR -L log makes y axis log scale -c colors "COLORS" set gnuplot colors for graph/axisnts/data (default: "xffffff x000000 xc0c0c0 x00a000 x0000a0 x2020c0" in order: bground, axisnts, grids, pointcolor1,2,3) -C cgi output CGI header to STDOUT if being called as CGI -s stats turn extra plot stats on (current, avg, min, max) -j julian times time columns is in local julian date (legacy stuff) -V version print version number and exit -h help display this help NOTES
* TIME either unix date, julian date, or civil date in the form: YYYY:MM:DD:HH:MM (year, month, day, hour, minute) If you enter something with colons, it assumes it is civil date If you have a decimal point, it assumes it is julian date If it is an integer, it assumes it is unix date (epoch seconds) If it is a negative number, it is in decimal days from current time (i.e. -2.5 = two and a half days ago) * All times on command line are assumed to be "local" times * All times in the data file must be in unix date (epoch seconds) * RANGE is given in decimal days (i.e. 1.25 = 1 day, 6 hours) * if LINES == 0, (i.e. -l 0) then the whole data file is read in * columns (given with -x, -y, -Y flags) start at 1 * titles given with -T can contain the following key words which will be converted: FILE - basename of input file RANGE - pretty civil date range (in local time zone) the default title is: FILE RANGE AUTHORS
Matt Lebofsky 2.21 November 2002 STRIPCHART(5)