Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Processing text variables that have numbers in CShell Post 302570339 by mohy on Thursday 3rd of November 2011 04:57:09 AM
Old 11-03-2011
Processing text variables that have numbers in CShell

Hello,

I have a case where I need to process an environment variable text value in CShell to calculate the product of 2 numbers stated in the variable string having the format "<first_number>Letter x<second_number>".

Ex: $VAR = "24x20"

I need to set $VAR_PRODUCT = "Product of 20 and 24"

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in processing multiple variables in a single sed command.

Is it possible to process multiple variables in a single sed command? I have the following ksh with three variables and I want to search for all variables which start with "var" inside input.txt. I tired "$var$" but it just prints out everyting in input.txt and does not work. $ more test.ksh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read text file in Cshell

I've been searching the forums for info on reading a text file in a Cshell script but nothing I'm trying is working. My latest attempt was: set LASInputFile = `ls *. | head -1` echo $LASInputFile while read line do echo $line done < $LASInputFile My error message is: while:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: phudgens
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK processing -numbers to another column

Hi Guys, I'm trying to clean up my home logger file and can't seem to work this out. Here is my data: 10-19-2009 08:39 00.2 00.0 00.7 01.1 49.1 0.0 11.9 270.1 -49.1 220.9 10-19-2009 08:40 00.2 00.0 00.7 00.7 49.1 0.0 171.9 171.9 49.1 220.9 10-19-2009 08:41 00.1 00.0 00.7 00.8 24.5 0.0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeJay
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Doubt] How can I store numbers less than 1? Shell variables

Hi everyone, I am having some problems with my scripts so I hope you could help me. I am trying to store the result of a division in a variable in tcshell but I have the problem that if: For example, dividing 2/100 the result is 0.02 but if I store that I have "0". How can I have 0.02... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bloody
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print numbers and associated text belonging to an interval of numbers

##### (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Fractional Numbers in Shell Variables

Hello everyone, Before I state my problem I would like to inform you that this is not an assignment. I'm just trying to learn some shell programming in my free time. I'm trying to write a parking fee calculator. But I don't seem to be able to use fractional numbers. Could you please advice... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: iwant2learn
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk processing of passed variables

Currently have this: set current=192.168.0.5 set servicehost = `echo $current | awk -F. '{print $4}'` echo $numberoffields 5 ..but would like to reduce # of variables and eliminate echo to have something like this: set servicehost = `awk -v s="$current" -F. 'BEGIN{print $2}'`But... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mid Ocean
3 Replies

8. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help about using variables of float numbers in sed

Hi, I need to run a Fortran program which reads a input file with a fixed name many times, each time I need to change a number (real) in that input file, this is how I currently do it and I know it is not elegent at all: cp inputfile.dat backup.dat sed -i 's/28.0/0.01/g' inputfile.dat ./myCode... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dypang
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Comparing multiple variables containing numbers

a=1 456 b=4928 c=23 d=456 I want to compare four variables to get the name of the variable having the highest number (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies
newinv(1)						      General Commands Manual							 newinv(1)

NAME
newinv - Updates distribution kit master inventory SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/newinv mi-file input-path... OPERANDS
The pathname of the master inventory file to be processed. If no master inventory file exists, you must create an empty one before using the newinv command. The name of the product hierarchy to be scanned for files belonging in the inventory. All files and directories found below the input-path are processed as belonging in the inventory. DESCRIPTION
The newinv command interactively maintains the master inventory files used for producing distribution kits in setld format. The program updates the master inventory for a product when changes are made to the hierarchy of files that are to be packaged in the subsets which constitute the product. The product hierarchy is scanned to produce a list of component path names relative to input-path. The list of pathnames is processed against the mi-file to produce a list of files that have been removed from the product hierarchy and a list of files that have been added. The user is then given an opportunity to intervene and direct the inventory maintenance by editing these lists. The user is placed in the editor with each list available for editing. The editor used is the one specified by the EDITOR environment variable. If EDITOR is not set, vi is used. When editing the list of files that have been removed from the product, the user is expected to verify that the removals were intentional and confirm the intent by removing the associated records from the file. When editing the list of added files, the user is expected to provide options and subset information for each new file, transforming the elements of the list into master inventory records. To produce a new copy of the master inventory file, both of these lists are merged with the records for the files which existed in the pre- vious version and are still included. RESTRICTIONS
The default text editor, if not specified in $EDITOR, is /usr/ucb/vi. Files in the product hierarchy cannot be excluded from the master inventory. Files can be blocked from being kitted in the final distribu- tion kit by setting the subset field of the master inventory record to a minus sign (-). ERRORS
The mi-file specified on the command line cannot be found. The input-path directory specified on the command line does not exist. EXAMPLES
To update the hypothetical master inventory file OAT100.mi from the hierarchy beginning at /var/kits/input, type: newinv OAT100.mi /var/kits/input FILES
Backup copy of master inventory The list of files missing from the product The list of files new to the product Intermediate join file List of all files in the product SEE ALSO
invcutter(1), kits(1), vi(1), setld(8) stl_mi(4) environ(5) Guide to Preparing Product Kits newinv(1)