Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] print chars of a string Post 302570055 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 2nd of November 2011 10:23:00 AM
Old 11-02-2011
Code:
last=${#VARIABLE}

try (bash shell only):
Code:
var="thingtoprint"
for i in ` seq ${#var}` 
do
  echo ${var:$i:1}
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retreive string between two chars

I want to write a shell script in order to retreive some data from a log file that i have written into. The string that i want to get is the number 2849 (that is located between | | ). To explain further, this is the result i get after running "grep LOGIN filename.log" but i need to get the... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: danland
25 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeatable chars in a string

I have a string I keep appending too upto certain amount of chars. Is there some sort of way for me to check the string to see if I hit my limit of repeatable characters? For example, assume I allow for 2 repeatable chars, this will be a valid string Xxh03dhJUX, so I can append the last... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print count for chars recurrence

input: 123456 1111 124567 2222 125678 3333 234567 aaaa 456789 abcd awk logic: - read lines for recurring 1st 2 chars of the 1st field - if recurrence detected count up and print value output: 1 123456 1111 2 124567 2222 3 125678 3333 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[Solved] remove all print jobs from a print queue

Hello, Sometimes i need to clear all the jobs of a print queue and it is really annoying to cancel one by one. Is there a way to cancel all print jobs for a specific print queue with a single command instead of cancelling them one by one? My AIX system is 5.3 Thank you for your attention (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] check if chars is a capital letter and translate it

how can i check if read -n 1 LETTER; LETTER is a capital letter and after translate in minuscule. i have thought with: tr or no? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tafazzi87
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

print all between patterns with special chars

Hi, I'm having trouble with awk print all characters between 2 patterns. I tried more then one solution found on this forum but with no success. Probably my mistakes are due to the special characters "" and "]"in the search patterns. Well, have a log file like this: logfile.txt ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginolatino
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Special/Null/Control Chars and Print Line Numbers

Hi All, This might be a basic question... I need to write a script to find all/any Speacial/Null/Control Chars and Print Line Numbers from an input file. Output something like Null Characters in File Name at : Line Numbers Line = Print the line Control Characters in File Name at : Line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Tivoli
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add an string at every x chars

Hi All, I have a file fo around 15k bytes which i need to insert a string " + "at every 250 bytes. I found some ideas here using perl to split into lines and tried to addapt it but the results where not satisfactory for instance i tried to change #!/usr/bin/perl $teststring =... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kadu
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to print 7 chars from left of filemane?

Hi Guys Kindly help me on my predicament. I want to get the 7 chars of this filename I need to get the ALL.cmd from this filehame filename_a_ALL.cmd Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmarzan
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - print only the chars that match a given set in a string

For a given string that may contain any ASCII chars, i.e. that matches .*, find and print only the chars that are in a given subset. The string could also have numbers, uppercase, special chars such as ~!@#$%^&*(){}\", whatever a user could type in without going esoteric For simplicity take... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naderra
1 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)