Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Moving tapes
Operating Systems AIX Moving tapes Post 302569968 by petervg on Wednesday 2nd of November 2011 07:03:02 AM
Old 11-02-2011
Moving tapes

Hello, anybody out there that is using itdt to manage tape changes in a tape library. The help of itdt show a move subcommand but I can't get it to work.

Env:
AIX5.3
Dell PowerVault TL2000 tape library -> rmt1 Available 01-08-02 IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)

# itdt says it finds the following devices.
Code:
     IBM Tape Diagnostic Tool Standard Edition  - Device List

Host Bus  ID   LUN  Model          Serial       Ucode  Changer     [#]
 +----+----+----+----+----+--------------+------------+------+------------+-+
 | 0  | 1  | 8  | ## | 0  | ULT3580-TD4  | 1310234939 | A232 | 78N1259_LL0| |
 | 1  | 1  | 8  | ## | ## | 3573-TL      | 78N1259_LL0| 9.30 |            | |

But when I trie to move a tape I get the following :
Code:
# ./itdt -f /dev/smc0 move 1 10
Moving medium: source 1, destination 10...
Operation not supported on device, errno 22: Invalid argument

Exit with code: 22

So is my environment not supported by itdt or am I doing something wrong?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

ignite tapes

can any1 tell me how to make ignite tapes for the HP-ux. this company said it was: "make_tape_recovery_A", but that don't work. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JBX
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tapes

is there a command to check unoccupied space on a tape ? AIX 3.2 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cubicle^dweller
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

moving tapes with NetBackup

Does anyone know how to move tapes within a library to the load port using NetBackup? robtest will not work with NetBackup running, and I would like to have a script move the tapes to be sent offsite to the load port for easier removal. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tapes

:confused: Hello!! I am a new UNIX user, and I need to back up some files, I have some old ones and I have been trying to delete the old information with 'mt erase' but I don't be sure if it works, and 'mt resert' but the it gave a message suggesting me to use 'scsiha -r' (but the last one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scs
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar/Tapes: Can somebody explain this to me......

Hey Folks, Can somebody please explain what the crack is with this problem. I have a backup folder in /var which contains 4 rsync'd server folders: server08 server15 server16 server18 They all contain the etc folder from the server, and other important data I need to backup. To... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: modaceface
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to tar to multiple tapes

how to tar to multiple tapes (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sean dixon
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying DAT tapes

I am looking for a way of making a backup of a system DAT tape onto another DAT tape for security reasons. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnrussell
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Copying DAT tapes

I am trying to find a way of copying a system DAT tape onto another DAT tape for security reasons. I have tried searching the net for commands but so far I have been unsuccessful. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnrussell
2 Replies

9. Solaris

vxdump with more tapes

Hi Community, I've a V440 Sun Server with 2 device tape of 72GB. I have to backup a folder of 80 GB, so I have to use 2 tapes of 72GB (144 GB); If I use vxdump command which are the options that I have to use? When the first tape finishes does the system stop the backup? Please help me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sunb3
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

duplicating ignite tapes

I have a B180L controller running HP-UX 10.2 with an internal DDS2 tape drive and an external Surestore DDS (24gb) tape drive. I want to make duplicate copies of ignite tapes from one tape drive to another. What is the best way to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garyb
1 Replies
FMS(8)							       AFS Command Reference							    FMS(8)

NAME
fms - Determine a tape's capacity and a tape device's filemark size SYNOPSIS
fms -tape <tape special file> [-help] fms -t <tape special file> [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fms command determines the capacity of the tape currently in the tape device identified by the -tape argument, along with the size of the filemark for the device. The filemark is also referred to as the device's end-of-file (EOF) marker, and can differ for each combination of tape and tape device. As the Tape Coordinator writes a dump, it writes a filemark between the data included from each volume and also tracks the amount of space left before the end of the tape (EOT). For some tape devices, the filemark is large enough (multiple megabytes) that failure to consider it leads the Tape Coordinator significantly to overestimate the available space. The intended use of this command is to determine tape capacity and filemark size values that can be specified in a tape device's entry in the /var/lib/openafs/backup/tapeconfig file. For certain types of tape drives, the Tape Coordinator operates more efficiently when the tapeconfig file lists accurate values. For further discussion, see the OpenAFS Administration Guide chapter on configuring the Backup System. Insert a tape in the drive before issuing this command. CAUTIONS
Do not use this command on compressing tape devices in compression mode or with tape devices that handle tapes of multigigabyte (or multiterabyte) capacity. It does not produce accurate results in those cases. For alternate suggestions on the values to record in the tapeconfig file for compressing drives, see the OpenAFS Administration Guide chapter on configuring the Backup System. Running the command completely overwrites the tape, so use a blank one or one that can be recycled. Because it writes filemarks to the complete length of the tape, the command can take from several hours to more than a day to complete. OPTIONS
-tape <tape special file> Specifies the UNIX device name of the tape device for which to determine filemark size and the capacity of the tape it currently contains. The format varies on different system types, but usually begins with /dev; an example is /dev/sd0a. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The command generates output both on the standard output stream and in the fms.log file that it creates in the current working directory. The output reports the capacity of the tape in the device and the device's filemark size. The first few lines of output include status information about the execution of the command, including such information as the number of blocks and the number of file marks written to the tape by the command. The last two lines of both screen and file output provide the following information: o "Tape capacity is number bytes": specifies the size, in bytes, of the tape in the device. o "File marks are number bytes": specifies the device's filemark size in bytes. The following message indicates that the fms command interpreter cannot access the tape device. The command halts. Can't open tape drive I<device> The following message indicates that the command interpreter cannot create the fms.log log file. Again, the command halts. Can't open log file EXAMPLES
The following command illustrates the output for the device called /dev/rmt1h: % fms /dev/rmt1h wrote block: 130408 Finished data capacity test - rewinding wrote 1109 blocks, 1109 file marks Finished file mark test Tape capacity is 2136604672 bytes File marks are 1910205 bytes The following appears in the fms.log file: fms test started wrote 9230 blocks Finished file mark test Tape capacity is 151224320 bytes File marks are 2375680 bytes PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be able to insert and write to files in the currently working directory, if the fms.log file does not already exist. If it already exists, the issuer need only be able to write to it. SEE ALSO
fms.log(5), tapeconfig(5) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FMS(8)