Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /dev/rmt devices are missing
Operating Systems AIX /dev/rmt devices are missing Post 302569909 by zaxxon on Wednesday 2nd of November 2011 03:27:32 AM
Old 11-02-2011
Did cfgmgr complain when being run? Did that DLPAR-action ie. assigning the controller with the attached tape drive to the LPAR show any complaints either?

Can you identify the SCSI controller with the tape drive using lsdev? Is lsdev showing any other type of tape drive but rmt that can be brought into relation to the SCSI controller (that you might have identified)?

Example:
Code:
root@bla1:/root> lsdev -Ccadapter -l *scsi*
sisscsia0 Available 04-08 PCI-X Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI Adapter
root@bla1:/root> lsdev -Cctape
rmt0 Available 04-08-00-0,0 LVD SCSI 4mm Tape Drive

You can only assign it, if it is on a separate SCSI controller which is not assigned to other LPARs. But if that was not the case, I assumed the HMC might have complained about it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/rmt/0cn

Following the below info: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- # SYNTAX: /dev/rmt/<unit number><density> · Density: l, m, h, u/c (low, medium, high, ultra/compressed, respectively) · BSD behavior: (optional) b · no rewind: (optional) n · For... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guest100
5 Replies

2. Solaris

/dev/rmt empty

hi all , i have just installed solris 9 on a sun 280R ,and i have appleid the recommended patches . after the installation i have found that /dev/rmt/ directory is empty , i thought that was normal , so i attached my DDS4 external tape drive and treid : devfsadm -C devfsadm -v reboot --... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ppass
1 Replies

3. AIX

dev/rmt 0.1 block size is 0; variable; must be 1024 fixed.

Hi. After the shutdown for SWIFT Alliance Server, tape backup process will be done. Unfortunately, I encountered this error message when I performed the database tape backup. The error was "/dev/rmt 0.1 block size is 0; variable; must be 1024 fixed. Consider reconfiguration through 'chdev'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MariaLuisa
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Empty /dev/rmt

Hi Guys, I a newbie in Unix environment. I need a help to detect my external SCSI tape drive. I tried with command drvconfig;devlinks;tapes.. but when I go to /dev/rmt/, the directory is still empty. I also tried with add_drv -v st but I'm getting this message # add_drv -v st exit... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: akuslive
8 Replies

5. AIX

How to prevent /dev/rmt* re-assignments

Hi all, Sometimes, when I reboot my AIX server, my tape drive /dev/rmt# assignments change. This creates some tedious TSM work prior to and after a reboot of the server. Is there a way to ensure that the /dev/rmt# assignments come up the same every time? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwholey
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev X /devices

Hi folks, I am trying to learn Unix based in Linux... In Linux, in /Dev are files related to cards, mouse, etc.. how about Unix? What is the difference between /Dev and /Devices? Thanks, Fernanda (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ffpradella
0 Replies

7. Solaris

/dev/rmt is empty - Trying to make Tape Drive Functional

I have an HP Proliant DL380 with Intel Processors that I recently loaded Solaris 10 with latest patches on it. I'm trying to do a ufsdump to an HP DAT 40 tape drive via SCSI, but I can't get it to do anything because /dev/rmt is empty. I've tried the following with luck: touch /reconfigure,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvaughn
7 Replies

8. Hardware

/dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved

# mt stat HP DDS-4 DAT (Sun) tape drive: sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense residual= 0 retries= 0 file no= 0 block no= 0 mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn erase /dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved. Getting error while ufsdump .... --- Dumping / to /dev/rmt/0mn --- DUMP: Date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vickyingle5
1 Replies

9. Solaris

/dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved

# mt stat HP DDS-4 DAT (Sun) tape drive: sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense residual= 0 retries= 0 file no= 0 block no= 0 mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn erase /dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved. Getting error while ufsdump .... --- Dumping / to /dev/rmt/0mn --- DUMP: Date... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickyingle5
5 Replies

10. HP-UX

Dev/urandom and dev/random missing in HP-UX

Hi, In our HP-UX B.11.11. I could not find dev/urandom and dev/random Are all pseudo-devices implemented as device drivers, or in need to run /configure some package to install the package to have dev/urandom. Please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rashi
4 Replies
MPT(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    MPT(4)

NAME
mpt -- LSI Fusion-MPT SCSI/Fibre Channel driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device scbus device mpt Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): mpt_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The mpt driver provides support for the LSI Logic Fusion-MPT family of SCSI, Fibre Channel and SAS controllers. HARDWARE
The following controllers are supported by the mpt driver: o LSI Logic 53c1030, LSI Logic LSI2x320-X (Single and Dual Ultra320 SCSI) o LSI Logic AS1064, LSI Logic AS1068 (SAS/SATA) o LSI Logic FC909 (1Gb/s Fibre Channel) o LSI Logic FC909A (Dual 1Gb/s Fibre Channel) o LSI Logic FC919, LSI Logic 7102XP-LC (Single 2Gb/s Fibre Channel) o LSI Logic FC929, LSI Logic FC929X, LSI Logic 7202XP-LC (Dual 2Gb/s Fibre Channel) o LSI Logic FC949X (Dual 4Gb/s Fibre Channel) o LSI Logic FC949E, LSI Logic FC949ES (Dual 4Gb/s Fibre Channel PCI-Express) The Ultra 320 SCSI controller chips supported by the mpt driver can be found onboard on many systems including: o Dell PowerEdge 1750 thru 2850 o IBM eServer xSeries 335 These systems also contain Integrated Raid Mirroring and Integrated Raid Mirroring Enhanced which this driver also supports. The SAS controller chips are also present on many new AMD/Opteron based systems, like the Sun 4100. Note that this controller can drive both SAS and SATA drives or a mix of them at the same time. The Integrated Raid Mirroring available for these controllers is poorly supported at best. The Fibre Channel controller chipset are supported by a broad variety of speeds and systems. The Apple Fibre Channel HBA is in fact the FC949ES card. This driver also supports target mode for Fibre Channel cards. This support may be enabled by setting the desired role of the core via the LSI Logic firmware utility that establishes what roles the card can take on - no separate compilation is required. SEE ALSO
cd(4), ch(4), da(4), pci(4), sa(4), scsi(4), targ(4), mptutil(8), gmultipath(8) LSI Logic Website, http://www.lsilogic.com/. HISTORY
The mpt driver first appeared in FreeBSD 4.6. AUTHORS
The mpt driver was originally written for FreeBSD by Greg Ansley and marginally improved upon by Matt Jacob <mjacob@FreeBSD.org>. Justin Gibbs <gibbs@FreeBSD.org> and Scott Long <scottl@FreeBSD.org> have made more substantial improvements. BUGS
BSD
May 13, 2010 BSD