Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parse large file on line count (random lines) Post 302569847 by darbs121 on Tuesday 1st of November 2011 06:32:39 PM
Old 11-01-2011
Parse large file on line count (random lines)

I have a file that needs to be parsed into multiple files every time there line contains a number 1. the problem i face is the lines are random and the file size is random. an example is that on line 4, 65, 187, 202 & 209 are number 1's so there has to be file breaks between all those to create 4 new files. I can find the number 1's using sed and i can create 1 file based on the first line count but not the continuing ones.

Does anyone know how to parse a file based on random lines

Thanks ahead of time

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character(s) very large file

I'm trying to count the number of 2 specific characters in a very large file. I'd like to avoid using gsub because its taking too long. I was thinking something like: awk '-F' { t += NF - 1 } END {print t}' infile > outfile which isn't working Any ideas would be great. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse and count lines

I have a data file in the following format (refer to input file) with multiple lines containing some information. I need an output file to loop thorough the input file with summarized information as seen below (refer to output file) ‘Date Time' and ‘Beta Id' input file values should be concatenated... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekharaj
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extra/parse lines from a file between unque lines through the file

I need help to parse a file where there are many records, all of which are consistently separated by lines containing “^=============” and "^ End of Report". Example: ============= 1 2 3 4 End of record ============= 1 3 4 End of record Etc.... I only need specific lines... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jouuu
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Pick Random records from a large file

Hi, I have a huge file say with 2000000 records. The file has 42 fields. I would like to pick randomly 1000 records from this huge file. Can anyone help me how to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajithshankar@ho
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse file from remote server to calculate count of string existence in that file

Hi I need to parse the file of same name which exist on different servers and calculate the count of string existed in both files. Say a file abc.log exist on 2 servers. I want to search for string "test" on both files and calculate the total count of search string's existence. For... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: poweroflinux
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count lines separated by new line

Hi guys, I have a file which has random records like mentioned below emcpower28a pci@3,03 (disk physical name) pci@3,04 emcpower9a pci@1,03 pci@2,03 pci@3,01 pci@4,03 there could be any number of disk names for any LUN (emc...) So, I want a solution to count disk names for its... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant2507198
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Count number of lines between a pattern in a large file

1000CUS E Y4NYRETAIL 10010004HELIOPOLIS 110000500022360591000056XX EG 1101DEBY XXAD ZSSKY TSSROS 1102HANYNNYY@HOTMAIL.COM 210030/05/201301/06/2013AED 3100 OPE 3100 CLO 3100 The 1000CUS E Y NYCORPORATE 10010004HELIOPOLIS 110000500025270504550203XX EG 1101XXXQ FOR CTING AND... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: john2022
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random shuffle of lines of a TXT file

Hello friends, I have a TXT file with 300 lines in it. I need to shuffle all the lines (randomly) so that they get into different order. Can anyone pls provide easy way, if any? I got it done by doing this below but I see it very lengthy/inefficient way. call random function to generate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to count the number of lines after the first line

hi, How can i count the number of lines after the first line in a flat file in unix? Say i have a flat file with a header like: Student Name Student ID .... Tnx (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reignangel2003
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse for 2 numbers in large single line

Hi All, I am writing a script in which I need to gather 2 numbers for 'total' and 'successful'. The goal is to compare the two numbers and if they are not equal, rerun the task until all are successful. I'm thinking the best way will be with awk or sed, but I really don't know where to begin... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hburnswell
8 Replies
rl(1)								   User Commands							     rl(1)

NAME
rl - Randomize Lines. SYNOPSIS
rl [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
rl reads lines from a input file or stdin, randomizes the lines and outputs a specified number of lines. It does this with only a single pass over the input while trying to use as little memory as possible. -c, --count=N Select the number of lines to be returned in the output. If this argument is omitted all the lines in the file will be returned in random order. If the input contains less lines than specified and the --reselect option below is not specified a warning is printed and all lines are returned in random order. -r, --reselect When using this option a single line may be selected multiple times. The default behaviour is that any input line will only be selected once. This option makes it possible to specify a --count option with more lines than the file actually holds. -o, --output=FILE Send randomized lines to FILE instead of stdout. -d, --delimiter=DELIM Use specified character as a "line" delimiter instead of the newline character. -0, --null Input lines are terminated by a null character. This option is useful to process the output of the GNU find -print0 option. -n, --line-number Output lines are numbered with the line number from the input file. -q, --quiet, --silent Be quiet about any errors or warnings. -h, --help Show short summary of options. -v, --version Show version of program. EXAMPLES
Some simple demonstrations of how rl can help you do everyday tasks. Play a random sound after 4 minutes (perfect for toast): sleep 240 ; play `find /sounds -name '*.au' -print | rl --count=1` Play the 15 most recent .mp3 files in random order. ls -c *.mp3 | head -n 15 | rl | xargs --delimiter=' ' play Roll a dice: seq 6 | rl --count 2 Roll a dice 1000 times and see which number comes up more often: seq 6 | rl --reselect --count 1000 | sort | uniq -c | sort -n Shuffle the words of a sentence: echo -n "The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain." | rl --delimiter=' ';echo Find all movies and play them in random order. find . -name '*.avi' -print0 | rl -0 | xargs -n 1 -0 mplayer Because -0 is used filenames with spaces (even newlines and other unusual characters) in them work. BUGS
The program currently does not have very smart memory management. If you feed it huge files and expect it to fully randomize all lines it will completely read the file in memory. If you specify the --count option it will only use the memory required for storing the specified number of lines. Improvements on this area are on the TODO list. The program uses the rand() system random function. This function returns a number between 0 and RAND_MAX, which may not be very large on some systems. This will result in non-random results for files containing more lines than RAND_MAX. Note that if you specify multiple input files they are randomized per file. This is a different result from when you cat all the files and pipe the result into rl. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 Arthur de Jong. This is free software; see the license for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Version 0.2.7 Jul 2008 rl(1)