Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Understanding Benchmarks
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Understanding Benchmarks Post 302569842 by Corona688 on Tuesday 1st of November 2011 05:56:25 PM
Old 11-01-2011
They use the -N option, to archive files newer than the benchmark file. So next backup they take, avoids previously backed up files.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux Processing Benchmarks ?

Hello everyone. Does anyone know where to I could find published benchmarks for how a Linux box performs. It would be nice if I could find a comparison to the Windows OS. Thanks, Lance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lcstephens
2 Replies

2. Linux Benchmarks

Instructions for Linux Benchmarks

STEP 1: Get the source here: https://www.unix.com/source/bm.zip or https://www.unix.com/source/unix_linux_bench.tar.gz STEP 2: unzip or untar and cd into the bm directory STEP 3: make (Note: there is a pre-compiled Linux binary in the distro, so Linux users don't have to make a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

3. UNIX Benchmarks

Instructions for UNIX Benchmarks

STEP 1: Get the source here: https://www.unix.com/source/bm.zip or https://www.unix.com/source/unix_linux_bench.tar.gz STEP 2: Unzip or Untar STEP 3: make STEP 4: Run STEP: 5: Please login to www.unix.com and post test results along with platform info to: Include (if you... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

4. UNIX Benchmarks

unix s/w download using benchmarks

I downloaded the unix s/w given in the bench marks to my home laptop. The C: drive isn't partitioned.The instructions are given to unzip, make and run. please list the proper ways to do the commands how to unzipa nd make them. should i partition my hard drive? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravus
3 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Intel CPU benchmarks

Hey I was wondering if anyone knows here I can get a graph of Intel Vs AMD CPU's graph. I have found one and it's great though only for the desktop CPU. I'm also looking for one that includes the Pentium M CPU's and the next CPU's after that. This is because I'm looking at getting a laptop... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: woofie
1 Replies

6. Linux Benchmarks

Results for Linux Benchmarks

Hi, I was trying to build Linux Benchmarks with latest Intel C++ Compiler. When I used -ipo (inter-procedural optimization) option, arithmetic test (arith.c) failed on execution. The problem is Intel compiler's advanced optimization option (-ipo) optimizes much more than expected and this... (50 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpjain
50 Replies

7. UNIX Benchmarks

FreeBSD `buildkernel' and `buildworld' Benchmarks

Just for fun, I thought I'd post my output from `time make -j4 buildworld' and `time make -j4 buildkernel' and see if anyone else had any good times. The machine is an Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHz with 2048MB DDR3. -------------------------------------------------------------- >>> Kernel build... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glen.barber
1 Replies

8. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

VMmark virtualization benchmarks

Hi, We have to make a decision to buy 10 new servers for MS Exchange/Domain Controller running virtual tiles and for hardware we have choice of HP Proliant DL380 G6, Dell PowerEdge R710 & IBM X3650 M2, somebody sent me comparison of VMmark virtualization performance benchmark which states that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
1 Replies
EXPIRE_BACKUPS(1)						       S3QL							 EXPIRE_BACKUPS(1)

NAME
expire_backups - Intelligently expire old backups SYNOPSIS
expire_backups [options] <age> [<age> ...] DESCRIPTION
The expire_backups command intelligently remove old backups that are no longer needed. To define what backups you want to keep for how long, you define a number of age ranges. expire_backups ensures that you will have at least one backup in each age range at all times. It will keep exactly as many backups as are required for that and delete any backups that become redundant. Age ranges are specified by giving a list of range boundaries in terms of backup cycles. Every time you create a new backup, the existing backups age by one cycle. Example: when expire_backups is called with the age range definition 1 3 7 14 31, it will guarantee that you always have the following backups available: 1. A backup that is 0 to 1 cycles old (i.e, the most recent backup) 2. A backup that is 1 to 3 cycles old 3. A backup that is 3 to 7 cycles old 4. A backup that is 7 to 14 cycles old 5. A backup that is 14 to 31 cycles old Note If you do backups in fixed intervals, then one cycle will be equivalent to the backup interval. The advantage of specifying the age ranges in terms of backup cycles rather than days or weeks is that it allows you to gracefully handle irregular backup intervals. Imagine that for some reason you do not turn on your computer for one month. Now all your backups are at least a month old, and if you had specified the above backup strategy in terms of absolute ages, they would all be deleted! Specifying age ranges in terms of backup cycles avoids these sort of problems. expire_backups usage is simple. It requires backups to have names of the forms year-month-day_hour:minute:seconds (YYYY-MM-DD_HH:mm:ss) and works on all backups in the current directory. So for the above backup strategy, the correct invocation would be: expire_backups.py 1 3 7 14 31 When storing your backups on an S3QL file system, you probably want to specify the --use-s3qlrm option as well. This tells expire_backups to use the s3qlrm command to delete directories. expire_backups uses a "state file" to keep track which backups are how many cycles old (since this cannot be inferred from the dates con- tained in the directory names). The standard name for this state file is .expire_backups.dat. If this file gets damaged or deleted, expire_backups no longer knows the ages of the backups and refuses to work. In this case you can use the --reconstruct-state option to try to reconstruct the state from the backup dates. However, the accuracy of this reconstruction depends strongly on how rigorous you have been with making backups (it is only completely correct if the time between subsequent backups has always been exactly the same), so it's gener- ally a good idea not to tamper with the state file. OPTIONS
The expire_backups command accepts the following options: --quiet be really quiet --debug activate debugging output --version just print program version and exit --state <file> File to save state information in (default: ".expire_backups.dat") -n Dry run. Just show which backups would be deleted. --reconstruct-state Try to reconstruct a missing state file from backup dates. --use-s3qlrm Use s3qlrm command to delete backups. EXIT STATUS
expire_backups returns exit code 0 if the operation succeeded and 1 if some error occured. SEE ALSO
expire_backups is shipped as part of S3QL, http://code.google.com/p/s3ql/. COPYRIGHT
2008-2011, Nikolaus Rath 1.11.1 August 27, 2014 EXPIRE_BACKUPS(1)