Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Machine dependent problems when using Sockets. Post 302569741 by Corona688 on Tuesday 1st of November 2011 11:27:14 AM
Old 11-01-2011
Agreed. That's the trouble with debugging buffer overruns, occasionally they are harmless, but the instant you change anything, bang.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editor dependent error?

Hi all, i did typed the following code in vi and executed it. #!/bin/sh //notice the blank line here. DATA=test echo "$DATA" There was no problem. I then deleted the file using the rm command. I used ultraedit typed in the same file. , FTP it in and i got the following output :... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

how can i make two dependent jobs into cron?

Hi all, How can i make two dependent jobs into crontab? means after the first job the second job should run in a single crontab entry in unix. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megh
1 Replies

3. Solaris

pkgrm without removing the dependent packages

Hi all, Is there any option to remove a package without removing the dependent packages.... ie, i need to remove a package, while trying to remove by using pkgrm command it says as some dependent packages also will get removed, i dont want to remove those dependent packages. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: judi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting problems - Commands not on local machine

Hello all- I have done a lot of searching tonight, but all leads seem to be dead ends. Forgive me if this has been covered, but I've searched the forum and the internet. I am having trouble building a shell script which uses SSH to login to our schools 1024 cluster grid. The issue that I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sagan
1 Replies

5. Programming

shell scripting problems involving operations with remote machine

Hi, i have been developing a shell script to transfer a set of files from one ubuntu system to another. Task: while executing the script the files ( ls, dir, cat) in the source machine should transfer to destination machine(at /home/mac/mac/bin) While the script is executed once again, It... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: srijith
0 Replies

6. Slackware

Context dependent symlinks

Ive got multiple PCs, sharing an NFS mounted home dir. For certain apps I would like to keep the config files host specific. Easy solution is to create symlinks to local folders for configs. Ideally I would still want the .config files to reside in the user home folder. Is it possible to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: agentrnge
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX Dependent Module could not be loaded

I am encountering the above error , even after setting the environment variables correctly AFAIK. I've found sources that say LIBPATH is the shared library variable , and others that say LIB_PATH, so I set both: ========================= root@lipossrp01ga: # echo $gtm_dist ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Clovis_Sangrail
6 Replies

8. AIX

Dependent modules libc.a and libpthreads.a

Hello I am trying to install ActivePerl Pro Studio and I am seeing the following errors. Could not load program ./setup: Symbol resolution failed for setup because: Symbol ___memcmp (number 1) is not exported from dependent module /usr/lib/libc.a(shr.o). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: flagman5
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Start services based on dependent services on other AIX machine

Hi, I just started working on a script. After my research, i found a command which can help me: AIM: To build a script which starts the services (Services 1) on server 1 automatically whenever its down. And it has a dependency on other service (Service 2) on Server 2. So my script has to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: draghun9
4 Replies

10. IP Networking

Problems and doubts with sockets and timeouts

Hi! I need some help to understand a little bit more the behaviour about socket and TCP connections... Here is my problem I have a client and a server that were written in python. The server program wait until a message arrive and then print the message but if the message not arrive in a second... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kovalevski
2 Replies
TIMER_GETOVERRUN(2)					     Linux Programmer's Manual					       TIMER_GETOVERRUN(2)

NAME
timer_getoverrun - get overrun count for a POSIX per-process timer SYNOPSIS
#include <time.h> int timer_getoverrun(timer_t timerid); Link with -lrt. Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): timer_getoverrun(): _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 199309L DESCRIPTION
timer_getoverrun() returns the "overrun count" for the timer referred to by timerid. An application can use the overrun count to accu- rately calculate the number of timer expirations that would have occurred over a given time interval. Timer overruns can occur both when receiving expiration notifications via signals (SIGEV_SIGNAL), and via threads (SIGEV_THREAD). When expiration notifications are delivered via a signal, overruns can occur as follows. Regardless of whether or not a real-time signal is used for timer notifications, the system queues at most one signal per timer. (This is the behavior specified by POSIX.1-2001. The alternative, queuing one signal for each timer expiration, could easily result in overflowing the allowed limits for queued signals on the system.) Because of system scheduling delays, or because the signal may be temporarily blocked, there can be a delay between the time when the notification signal is generated and the time when it is delivered (e.g., caught by a signal handler) or accepted (e.g., using sigwait- info(2)). In this interval, further timer expirations may occur. The timer overrun count is the number of additional timer expirations that occurred between the time when the signal was generated and when it was delivered or accepted. Timer overruns can also occur when expiration notifications are delivered via invocation of a thread, since there may be an arbitrary delay between an expiration of the timer and the invocation of the notification thread, and in that delay interval, additional timer expirations may occur RETURN VALUE
On success, timer_getoverrun() returns the overrun count of the specified timer; this count may be 0 if no overruns have occurred. On failure, -1 is returned, and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
EINVAL timerid is not a valid timer ID. VERSIONS
This system call is available since Linux 2.6. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001 NOTES
When timer notifications are delivered via signals (SIGEV_SIGNAL), on Linux it is also possible to obtain the overrun count via the si_overrun field of the siginfo_t structure (see sigaction(2)). This allows an application to avoid the overhead of making a system call to obtain the overrun count, but is a nonportable extension to POSIX.1-2001. POSIX.1-2001 only discusses timer overruns in the context of timer notifications using signals. BUGS
POSIX.1-2001 specifies that if the timer overrun count is equal to or greater than an implementation-defined maximum, DELAYTIMER_MAX, then timer_getoverrun() should return DELAYTIMER_MAX. However, Linux does not implement this feature: instead, if the timer overrun value exceeds the maximum representable integer, the counter cycles, starting once more from low values. EXAMPLE
See timer_create(2). SEE ALSO
clock_gettime(2), sigaction(2), signalfd(2), sigwaitinfo(2), timer_create(2), timer_delete(2), timer_settime(2), signal(7), time(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2009-02-20 TIMER_GETOVERRUN(2)