Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copying text from Windows to AIX - missing text? Post 302569252 by PlainInverted on Sunday 30th of October 2011 11:30:37 AM
Old 10-30-2011
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried using the cat command and I am still missing many lines of text in the final file. I double checked the source file in Notepad and the text is in the source file. I am using SSH tectia terminal software to connect remotely to AIX, not sure if that has anything to do with my issue? I can sftp the files back and forth with no problems, but i was hoping to be able to use copy&paste since its quicker. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying Text between two unique text patterns

Dear Colleagues: I have .rtf files of a collection of newspaper articles. Each newspaper article starts with a variation of the phrase "Document * of 20" and is separated from the next article with the character string "===================" I would like to be able to take the text composing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spindoctor
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create multiple text file from a single text file on AIX

Hi I need to create multiple text files from onc text file on AIX. The data of text files is as below: ********************************************** ********************************************** DBVERIFY: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Tue Nov 10 13:45:42 2009 Copyright (c) 1982,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodhi1978
11 Replies

3. AIX

Help with copying file from AIX to Windows

Dear All, I am in need of your help again. I want to copy a file from AIX to Windows. I was able do the same with WinSCP but not able to do with any commands. I have tried ftp, scp and scp2 but nothing worked. Can anyone suggest me a command on how to copy/move a file from AIX to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tenderfoot
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat redirect EOF missing text

Hello attempting to redirect out to create a startup script in solaris. The steps are working but the $1 entry is being left out. syntax below and content of output file below. cat > S99build << EOF > #!/bin/bash > case $1 in > 'start') > /usr/os-buildsol.sh > > ;; > esac > exit 0 >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: juanb25
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Vi copying text

Is there a trick for copying from something like a powerpoint into vi? Every time I try to copy text from something like a powerpoint to vi my spacing gets messed up. I think it has something to do with my .vimrc file. When I renamed it was able to copy it in just fine so can someone please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with searching and copying in a text file

Hi, I need help searching through a large text file. I need to find a certain string within the text, and copy each line until another string appears. The file looks like this: >scf15164843 ATTAAAGGNNNGGAATTTCCCCAA ATTACCGGCTTTAAANNNTTACCC >scf15154847 CCGGGNNNTTTAAACCCGNGNGCC... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: repiv
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying and Pasting columns from one text file to another

I have a tab delimited text file that I want to cut columns 3,4,5 from. Then I want to paste these columns into a space delimited text file between columns 2 and 3. I still want to keep the space delimited format in the final text file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying text from between a pattern and *

Hej all, I have a LS-DYNA keyword file which I want to extract the node coordinates from it to another file for processing and then returning the result coordinates to the same place, the structure of the file is like: Keyword file: 5010497 -266.6623535 -446.2596130 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting and copying text from one file to another

Helooo, So I have a .fasta file (a text file with sequence data) which looks like this, with just over 3 million lines of data. >TCONS_00000001 gene=XLOC_000001 AATTGTGGTGAAATGACTTCTGTTAACGGAGACATCGATGATTGTTGTTACTATTTGTTCTCAGGATTCA... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4galaxy7
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying a text file from my Ubuntu Windows Sub System to a remote instance through SSH

*Following questions involves use of YAML, BASH, SSH and Software called Ansible* I am trying to learn how to use a Linux environment (in my case a Ubuntu Windows Sub System) to copy a text file from my files to a remote instance (in this case Amazon Web Services) by connecting via SSH. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Suhaba
8 Replies
VIMTUTOR(1)						      General Commands Manual						       VIMTUTOR(1)

NAME
vimtutor - the Vim tutor SYNOPSIS
vimtutor [-g] [language] DESCRIPTION
Vimtutor starts the Vim tutor. It copies the tutor file first, so that it can be modified without changing the original file. The Vimtutor is useful for people that want to learn their first Vim commands. The optional argument -g starts vimtutor with gvim rather than vim, if the GUI version of vim is available, or falls back to Vim if gvim is not found. The optional [language] argument is the two-letter name of a language, like "it" or "es". If the [language] argument is missing, the lan- guage of the current locale will be used. If a tutor in this language is available, it will be used. Otherwise the English version will be used. Vim is always started in Vi compatible mode. FILES
/usr/local/lib/vim/tutor/tutor[.language] The Vimtutor text file(s). /usr/local/lib/vim/tutor/tutor.vim The Vim script used to copy the Vimtutor text file. AUTHOR
The Vimtutor was originally written for Vi by Michael C. Pierce and Robert K. Ware, Colorado School of Mines using ideas supplied by Charles Smith, Colorado State University. E-mail: bware@mines.colorado.edu. It was modified for Vim by Bram Moolenaar. For the names of the translators see the tutor files. SEE ALSO
vim(1) 2001 April 2 VIMTUTOR(1)