Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A simple C program query ...
Top Forums Programming A simple C program query ... Post 302569242 by Praveen_218 on Sunday 30th of October 2011 11:02:45 AM
Old 10-30-2011
A simple C program query ...

Given the following code inside the function ext3_write_super():
(It's there in Linux kernel 2.6.27.59)

Code:
static void ext3_write_super (struct super_block * sb)
{
        if (mutex_trylock(&sb->s_lock) != 0)
                BUG();
        sb->s_dirt = 0;
}

The conditional test at if (mutex_trylock(&sb->s_lock) != 0) is getting true? at successful lock of the sb and would execute the macro BUG()???

Given the fact that motex_trylock() is defined as below:
Code:
//File:kernel/mutex.c of Linux kernel 2.6.27.59

/***
 * mutex_trylock - try acquire the mutex, without waiting
 * @lock: the mutex to be acquired
 * Try to acquire the mutex atomically. Returns 1 if the mutex
 * has been acquired successfully, and 0 on contention.
 * NOTE: this function follows the spin_trylock() convention, so
 * it is negated to the down_trylock() return values! Be careful
 * about this when converting semaphore users to mutexes.
 * This function must not be used in interrupt context. The
 * mutex must be released by the same task that acquired it.
 */
int __sched mutex_trylock(struct mutex *lock)
{
        return __mutex_fastpath_trylock(&lock->count,
                                        __mutex_trylock_slowpath);
}

The reason, I'm putting this pesky question is that the code is of a working ext3 filesystem (and deemed stable to a reasonable amount) however my simple logic is telling me its an issue in testing that if() condition , am I wrong in my judgement???

Please put your any comments.
Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

QUESTION...simple program?

I am new to the unix/linux environment. AND........ I need to create a mini shell..that displays prompt (i.e., READY:$), accepts a command from std-in, and prints the command and any parameters passed to it. HELP!!!! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jj1814
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple sed query

hi, i would like to replace a string in a series of files with another string, without outputting to new files. is this possible? i've tried using sed, and started by trying to alter the contents of one file... sed 's/string1/string2/g' file.txt but while this does the replacement on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: schmark
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple loop query

Hi All Just started with shell scripts and am stumped by, what is to most of you no doubt, a simple issue. All I'm trying to do is prompt a user for input and writing to a log file. If the user types the word 'stop', then the program should halt. If the word typed is 'clear', then the log file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kutz13
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

A simple query on unix shell script

I want to write a script to go to particular path in file and run shell script from there. what will be shell script for the same. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_ssm
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

pro*c program for sql query

Hi all, I have sql query as follows. Please write a pro*c program for the following query. select sp1.cost_change ||','|| sp1.cost_change_desc ||','|| sp1.reason ||','|| to_char(sp1.active_date,'DD-MON-YYYY HH24:MI:SS') ||','|| sp1.status ||','|| sp1.cost_change_origin... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: user71408
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help !!! simple query

Dear, I have a alarm text file, containing minor and major alarms, i am intrested in Mojor alarm with its alarm header and next four lines in seperate file.... Can anybody help me with this below is the alarm file output. :SEV="MAJOR": Object-Instance % unit-type % bts nbr % 25 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danish Shakil
5 Replies

7. Programming

Xlib simple program.

I don't know if it is right to ask you this. Can someone help me write a simple Xlib program,with button on it,and all that button do is switch 2 messages. I have tried and tried,but never get past Hello World. Can someone help me please? ---------- Post updated at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: megane16v
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple program help required

The circumfrence of a circle is #!/usr/bin/perl print 2 * 3.141592654 * 12.50 \n"; # pi= 3.141592654 # r= 12.50 I need a simple program showing me all the steps..to modify the above to prompt for and accept a radius from the person running the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Q2wert
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with simple program. (beginner)

Hey all, Writing a program that searches for a username and if they are online creates a 'beep' and sends the username and date to a log file. the error i am getting is: paul.obrien16@aisling:~/os$ bash checklogin : command not found Enter username paul.obrien16 ': not a valid... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sexyladywall
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

From perl program query is not executed.

I have tried executing one particular query through perl.But I am unable to get the result. When I tried to execute the sysdate query its working when I executed my perl code. The below query doesn't work. QUERY 1:my $sql ="select name from tab where rownum <6"; Received ora error... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
23 Replies
mutex(5)                                                Standards, Environments, and Macros                                               mutex(5)

NAME
mutex - concepts relating to mutual exclusion locks DESCRIPTION
Mutual exclusion locks (mutexes) prevent multiple threads from simultaneously executing critical sections of code which access shared data (that is, mutexes are used to serialize the execution of threads). All mutexes must be global. A successful call to acquire a mutex will cause another thread that is also trying to lock the same mutex to block until the owner thread unlocks the mutex. Mutexes can synchronize threads within the same process or in other processes. Mutexes can be used to synchronize threads between processes if the mutexes are allocated in writable memory and shared among the cooperating processes (see mmap(2)), and have been initialized for this task. The following table lists mutex functions and the actions they perform. +-----------------------+-----------------------------------+ | FUNCTION | ACTION | |mutex_init | Initialize a mutex. | |mutex_destroy | Destroy a mutex. | |mutex_lock | Lock a mutex. | |mutex_trylock | Attempt to lock a mutex. | |mutex_unlock | Unlock a mutex. | |pthread_mutex_init | Initialize a mutex. | |pthread_mutex_destroy | Destroy a mutex. | |pthread_mutex_lock | Lock a mutex. | |pthread_mutex_trylock | Attempt to lock a mutex. | |pthread_mutex_unlock | Unlock a mutex. | +-----------------------+-----------------------------------+ Initialization Mutexes are either intra-process or inter-process, depending upon the argument passed implicitly or explicitly to the initialization of that mutex. A statically allocated mutex does not need to be explicitly initialized; by default, a statically allocated mutex is initial- ized with all zeros and its scope is set to be within the calling process. For inter-process synchronization, a mutex needs to be allocated in memory shared between these processes. Since the memory for such a mutex must be allocated dynamically, the mutex needs to be explicitly initialized with the appropriate attribute that indicates inter- process use. Locking and Unlocking A critical section of code is enclosed by a call to lock the mutex and the call to unlock the mutex to protect it from simultaneous access by multiple threads. Only one thread at a time may possess mutually exclusive access to the critical section of code that is enclosed by the mutex-locking call and the mutex-unlocking call, whether the mutex's scope is intra-process or inter-process. A thread calling to lock the mutex either gets exclusive access to the code starting from the successful locking until its call to unlock the mutex, or it waits until the mutex is unlocked by the thread that locked it. Mutexes have ownership, unlike semaphores. Only the thread that locked a mutex, (that is, the owner of the mutex), should unlock it. If a thread waiting for a mutex receives a signal, upon return from the signal handler, the thread resumes waiting for the mutex as if there was no interrupt. Caveats Mutexes are almost like data - they can be embedded in data structures, files, dynamic or static memory, and so forth. Hence, they are easy to introduce into a program. However, too many mutexes can degrade performance and scalability of the application. Because too few mutexes can hinder the concurrency of the application, they should be introduced with care. Also, incorrect usage (such as recursive calls, or violation of locking order, and so forth) can lead to deadlocks, or worse, data inconsistencies. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mmap(2), shmop(2), mutex_destroy(3C), mutex_init(3C), mutex_lock(3C), mutex_trylock(3C), mutex_unlock(3C), pthread_create(3C), pthread_mutex_destroy(3C), pthread_mutex_init(3C), pthread_mutex_lock(3C), pthread_mutex_trylock(3C), pthread_mutex_unlock(3C), pthread_mutexattr_init(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) NOTES
In the current implementation of threads, pthread_mutex_lock(), pthread_mutex_unlock(), mutex_lock() mutex_unlock(), pthread_mutex_try- lock(), and mutex_trylock() do not validate the mutex type. Therefore, an uninitialized mutex or a mutex with an invalid type does not return EINVAL. Interfaces for mutexes with an invalid type have unspecified behavior. By default, if multiple threads are waiting for a mutex, the order of acquisition is undefined. USYNC_THREAD does not support multiple mappings to the same logical synch object. If you need to mmap() a synch object to different loca- tions within the same address space, then the synch object should be initialized as a shared object USYNC_PROCESS for Solaris, and PTHREAD_PROCESS_PRIVATE for POSIX. SunOS 5.10 20 Jul 1998 mutex(5)