Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using the part of a line as a variable? Post 302569214 by tip78 on Sunday 30th of October 2011 07:10:40 AM
Old 10-30-2011
right

rpf, this will be working:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

open(F,">/tmp/ftmp");
$ARGV[0]=~/\@.+?(\/.+)/;
print F "cd $1";
close F;
`sh /tmp/ftmp`;

name it 'mycmd' and put in /usr/local/sbin
then just: mycmd fish://mfong@vhl.gov.nd/homefolder/hhk/ADS/
This User Gave Thanks to For This Post:
tip78

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: A part of variable A's name is inside of variable B, how to update A?

This is what I tried: vara=${varb}_count (( vara += 1 )) Thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa3be
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repacing part of string with a variable

I have following strings in a file DUPTASMTRMMBAL,20070416200704160117232101172321,,,,,,,@@@Y DUPTASMTRMMCON,20070416200704160127189901271899,,,,,,,@@@Y DUPTASMTRMMHG,,20070416200704160112051001120510,,,,,,,@@@Y What i need to do is replace the date 20070416 with anoth date which is stored in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: divz
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy part of a variable

Hi, i was using a input file to get the last line of the file.But now i have stored the values from the file to a variable and want the last line from the variable . Slightly confused on how to extract that data from the variable. previous code, cat input.txt <TIME>00:15:48</TIME>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shellslave
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable of Content From Part of Other File

I may not being doing this description justice, but I'll give it a try. I created a mailx script; there will be several messages using the same script where the only difference is the content. So I figured I'd make the content of the message a variable retrieved from a separate file. I have five... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royarellano
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How read the part of the string into a variable?

Hi, I'm using bash and brand new to shell script. I would like to do the following. I have a string which is "UPDATE=1.0". I would like to read the value "1.0" alone in a variable. i.e the things afer "=" How do I do that? Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptfriend
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find the line starting with a pattern and save a part in variable

Hi i have a file which has mutiple line in it. inside that i have a pattern similar to this /abc/def/hij i want to fine the pattern starting with "/" and get the first word in between the the symbols "/" i.e. "abc" in this case into a variable. thanks in advance (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: kichu
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Printing a part of the last line of the specific part of a file

Hi, I have 80 large files, from which I want to get a specific value to run a Bash script. Firstly, I want to get the part of a file which contains this: Name =A xxxxxx yyyyyy zzzzzz aaaaaa bbbbbb Value = 57 This is necessary because in a file there are written more lines which... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenclu
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading text file, comparing a value in a line, and placing only part of the line in a variable?

I need some help. I would like to read in a text file. Take a variable such as ROW-D-01, compare it to what's in one line in the text file such as PROD/VM/ROW-D-01 and only input PROD/VM into a variable without the /ROW-D-01. Is this possible? any help is appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xChristopher
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a part of variable/line content in a file

I have a variable and assigned the following values ***XYZ_201519_20150929140642_20150929140644_211_0_0_211 I need to read this variable from backward and stop read when I get first underscore (_) In this scenario I should get 211 Thanks Kris (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkris
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove part of the line from start of the line?

Hello, I am java command from a shell script which will generate the below output on the command prompt signature Base64 :... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetanojha
10 Replies
PERLDGUX(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					       PERLDGUX(1)

NAME
perldgux - Perl under DG/UX. SYNOPSIS
One can read this document in the following formats: man perldgux view perl perldgux explorer perldgux.html info perldgux to list some (not all may be available simultaneously), or it may be read as is: as README.dgux. DESCRIPTION
Perl 5.7/8.x for DG/UX ix86 R4.20MU0x BUILDING PERL ON DG
/UX Non-threaded Perl on DG/UX Just run ./Configure script from the top directory. Then give "make" to compile. Threaded Perl on DG/UX If you are using as compiler GCC-2.95.x rev(DG/UX) an easy solution for configuring perl in your DG/UX machine is to run the command: ./Configure -Dusethreads -Duseithreads -Dusedevel -des This will automatically accept all the defaults and in particular /usr/local/ as installation directory. Note that GCC-2.95.x rev(DG/UX) knows the switch -pthread which allows it to link correctly DG/UX's -lthread library. If you want to change the installation directory or have a standard DG/UX with C compiler GCC-2.7.2.x then you have no choice than to do an interactive build by issuing the command: ./Configure -Dusethreads -Duseithreads In particular with GCC-2.7.2.x accept all the defaults and *watch* out for the message: Any additional ld flags (NOT including libraries)? [ -pthread] Instead of -pthread put here -lthread. CGCC-2.7.2.x that comes with the DG/UX OS does NOT know the -pthread switch. So your build will fail if you choose the defaults. After configuration is done correctly give "make" to compile. Testing Perl on DG/UX Issuing a "make test" will run all the tests. If the test lib/ftmp-security gives you as a result something like lib/ftmp-security....File::Temp::_gettemp: Parent directory (/tmp/) is not safe (sticky bit not set when world writable?) at lib/ftmp-security.t line 100 don't panic and just set the sticky bit in your /tmp directory by doing the following as root: cd / chmod +t /tmp (=set the sticky bit to /tmp). Then rerun the tests. This time all must be OK. Installing the built perl on DG/UX Run the command "make install" AUTHOR
Takis Psarogiannakopoulos University of Cambridge Centre for Mathematical Sciences Department of Pure Mathematics Wilberforce road Cambridge CB3 0WB , UK email <takis@XFree86.Org> SEE ALSO
perl(1). perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 PERLDGUX(1)