Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: iptables latency evaluation
Special Forums Cybersecurity iptables latency evaluation Post 302568890 by Corona688 on Friday 28th of October 2011 02:05:18 PM
Old 10-28-2011
You might have to do it statistically. Take the same reading hundreds or thousands of times, determine confidence intervals, etc.

---------- Post updated at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:04 PM ----------

I think there is a LOG target for iptables which might mark time, but probably not accurately enough, and would add delay of its own.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cp command evaluation

Hi all! I'm writting one script to copy a file in various folders, but there are 2 things to validate. First that the folder where i'll be cpying exists, and second that i have permissions to copy the file in it. so far i have found the way to validate the folder exists, but when trying to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: feliperivera
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determining typing latency

Hi all, When I use an editor (vi) that is spawned in a remote server, visually I could see the latency between typing a character/word and being displayed on the terminal. I could see this visually but how do I get a metric on this or how to quantify this? As expected, when I type in a editor... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
6 Replies

3. AIX

Latency Test

Hi every one, we have a set up in solaris 8 and 9 and running many cshell scripts.. we are migrate to AIX . Now, i want to know the latency difference between two boxes(Solaris and AIX). Kindly help me to , how to do Latency test.. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madhu Siddula
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Latency Test

Hi every one, we have a set up in solaris 8 and 9 and running many cshell scripts.. we are migrate to AIX . Now, i want to know the latency difference between two boxes(Solaris and AIX). Kindly help me to , how to do Latency test.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madhu Siddula
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Memory release latency issue

I have an application that routinely alloc() and realloc() gigabyte blocks of memory for image processing applications; specifically performing rotations of huge images, or creating/ deleting huge image buffers to contain multiple images. Immediately upon completion of an operation I call free() to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: imagtek
9 Replies
Firewall mark classifier in tc(8)                                      Linux                                     Firewall mark classifier in tc(8)

NAME
fw - fwmark traffic control filter SYNOPSIS
tc filter ... fw [ classid CLASSID ] [ action ACTION_SPEC ] DESCRIPTION
the fw filter allows to classify packets based on a previously set fwmark by iptables. If it is identical to the filter's handle, the fil- ter matches. iptables allows to mark single packets with the MARK target, or whole connections using CONNMARK. The benefit of using this filter instead of doing the heavy-lifting with tc itself is that on one hand it might be convenient to keep packet filtering and classifi- cation in one place, possibly having to match a packet just once, and on the other users familiar with iptables but not tc will have a less hard time adding QoS to their setups. OPTIONS
classid CLASSID Push matching packets to the class identified by CLASSID. action ACTION_SPEC Apply an action from the generic actions framework on matching packets. EXAMPLES
Take e.g. the following tc filter statement: tc filter add ... handle 6 fw classid 1:1 will match if the packet's fwmark value is 6. This is a sample iptables statement marking packets coming in on eth0: iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -j MARK --set-mark 6 SEE ALSO
tc(8), iptables(8), iptables-extensions(8) iproute2 21 Oct 2015 Firewall mark classifier in tc(8)