Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Remove 1st character in periodic lines Post 302568680 by jayan_jay on Friday 28th of October 2011 01:58:36 AM
Old 10-28-2011
sed will remove the alphabet T if it is the first character in a file ..

Sed basics .. http://sed.sourceforge.net/sed1line.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I remove lines that have more than one of a certain character in them?

I have a file with a few thousand lines and I'd like to remove all the lines that have more than 1 asterik (the * character) in it. So if it has 2 or more in a single line, I'd like the line removed (double d command in vi) (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

remove lines from file where > 13 occurrences of character

I have a '~' delimited file of 6 - 7 million rows. Each row should contain 13 columns delimited by 12 ~'s. Where there are 13 tildes, the row needs to be removed. Each row contains alphanumeric data and occasionally a ~ ends up in a descriptive field and therefore acts as a delimiter, resulting... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpd
7 Replies

3. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Remove lines if the first character is "|"

Hi. I have a huge file (350 million lines). I need to delete all lines in it that: 1. Begin with a pipe character -- '|' 2. Or have less than 5 pipe characters in the line Have been searching for some SED/AWK help for this (which is faster btw on such a ginormous file?) but only... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkiula
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problem ---to remove the lines which starts with one type of character

Hi, I have one file, I need to check if file exist or not and then remove the lines which starts with ? My file1.out data is some thing abcabcppp xyzxyzpqr ????????? ????????? Output should be in test.out abcabcppp xyzxyzpqr I am getting the output as below but the File does not exist... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramyajiguru1
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove previous line if next & previous lines have same 4th character.

I want to remove commands having no output. In below text file. bash-3.2$ cat abc_do_it.txt grpg10so>show trunk group all status grpg11so>show trunk group all status grpg12so>show trunk group all status GCPKNYAIGT73IMO 1440 1345 0 0 94 0 0 INSERVICE 93% 0%... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raza Ali
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines that do not start with digit and combine line or lines

I have been searching and trying to come up with an awk that will perform the following on a converted text file (original is a pdf). 1. Since the first two lines are (begin with) text they are removed 2. if $1 is a number then all text is merged (combined) into one line until the next... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline character if it is the only character in the entire file.?

I have a file which comes every day and the file data look's as below. Vi abc.txt a|b|c|d\n a|g|h|j\n Some times we receive the file with only a new line character in the file like vi abc.txt \n (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rak Kundra
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove lines ending with a certain character

I have a file of a content like this: abc_bla -def 800 abc_bla -def 802 abc_bla -def 804 abc_bla -def 806 abc_bla -def 808 abc_bla -def 810 abc_bla -def 812 abc_bla -def 814 ... abc_bla -def 898 abc_bla -def 900 abc_bla -def 902 abc_bla -def 904 ... abc_bla -def 990 abc_bla -def... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: maya3
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove newline character from column spread over multiple lines in a file

Hi, I came across one issue recently where output from one of the columns of the table from where i am creating input file has newline characters hence, record in the file is spread over multiple lines. Fields in the file are separated by pipe (|) delimiter. As header will never have newline... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
4 Replies
GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)                                                   Git Manual                                                   GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)

NAME
git-stripspace - Remove unnecessary whitespace SYNOPSIS
git stripspace [-s | --strip-comments] git stripspace [-c | --comment-lines] DESCRIPTION
Read text, such as commit messages, notes, tags and branch descriptions, from the standard input and clean it in the manner used by Git. With no arguments, this will: o remove trailing whitespace from all lines o collapse multiple consecutive empty lines into one empty line o remove empty lines from the beginning and end of the input o add a missing to the last line if necessary. In the case where the input consists entirely of whitespace characters, no output will be produced. NOTE: This is intended for cleaning metadata, prefer the --whitespace=fix mode of git-apply(1) for correcting whitespace of patches or files in the repository. OPTIONS
-s, --strip-comments Skip and remove all lines starting with comment character (default #). -c, --comment-lines Prepend comment character and blank to each line. Lines will automatically be terminated with a newline. On empty lines, only the comment character will be prepended. EXAMPLES
Given the following noisy input with $ indicating the end of a line: |A brief introduction $ | $ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line $ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out. $ | $ |The end.$ | $ Use git stripspace with no arguments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out.$ |$ |The end.$ Use git stripspace --strip-comments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |The end.$ GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)