Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ifconfig Flags
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Ifconfig Flags Post 302568486 by wthomas on Thursday 27th of October 2011 11:46:42 AM
Old 10-27-2011
Ifconfig Flags

Hi there,

I need your help in understanding the below Solaris 10 ifconfig output;
Code:
 athnetspns02>ifconfig -a

lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1
          inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
  e1000g0: flags=19040843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,DEPRECATED,IPv4,NOFAILOVER,FAILED> mtu 1500 index 2
          inet 165.34.218.180 netmask ffffffc0 broadcast 165.34.218.191
          groupname production
          ether 0:14:4f:cb:71:5e
  e1000g1: flags=29040843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,DEPRECATED,IPv4,NOFAILOVER,STANDBY> mtu 1500 index 3
          inet 165.34.218.181 netmask ffffffc0 broadcast 165.34.218.191
          groupname production
          ether 0:14:4f:cb:71:5f
  e1000g1:1: flags=21000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,STANDBY> mtu 1500 index 3
          inet 165.34.218.131 netmask ffffffc0 broadcast 165.34.218.191

I have a few questions;

1. The three interfaces; e1000g0, e1000g1, e1000g1:1 - am I right in thinking that there is two physical interfaces and one sub-interface - e1000g1:1 ?

2. The current production IP is 165.34.218.131 on e1000g1:1, but we had a recent problem and I think that the IP has failed over somehow from e1000g0 to e1000g1:1, but not sure as I'm not familiar with this server and don't know what it was before the issue. Can anyone shed some light on this?

3. Please can someone explain the meaning of the highlighted flags for interface e1000g1:1 ? Currently we cannot ping the e1000g0 interface even though it says Up and Running, but it say's Deprecated and Failed, so does this mean there is a problem with it, and should I bounce it to see if it comes back ok?

Regards, Wynford

Last edited by vbe; 10-27-2011 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: code tags please not colours!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if flags

Hi folks. I'm just starting to teach myself shell scripting and am having some trouble with an if statement. I am working with a directory where only one file will reside at a time and need to evaluate if this file is compressed to determine subsequent steps. I'm using echo for testing purposes.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making flags for my script

I have no idea how to make my own flags. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Processes Communication Only with flags!

hello everybody and a happy new year! i am trying the client-server model...i have no problem with sockets etc... especially for server:there is a father who is listening for TCP connections from clients,the later send commands which parent shares to his children. then children execute... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaggelakis
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about Setting Flags

I have a script which will look for a test folder under the parent directory. If the folder contains test folder then create the same directory structure in other remote machine. Once the directories are created then transfer all the contents of that test folder. this is what i am doing :- ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris1234
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

flags inside .cshrc

Hi, I use a specific utility in my .cshrc for setting up the right fonts and I believe it's sufficient to run it once for a whole session. Since I have sourced it in my .cshrc, it runs every time I do a source of .cshrc or invoke every new terminal. To resolve this issue, I thought of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oldtrash
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

arp output (flags)

I'm running an arp -an on a Solaris 10 box. We're using IPMP. One of the systems is not able to see a host on the same network. The only difference between the two systems (one is having a problem, the other isn't) at least so far is the output of arp: # arp -an | grep 224.55 e1000g5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BOFH
1 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Ifconfig output - help understanding flags 'Smart, Simplex', etc

Hi - Trying to understand a few things from an ifconfig -a output - can't seem to find info anywhere on the net. Specifically - looking to understand the following: Flags=8863 Smart Running (is this the same as UP) Simplex inet6 supported media: autoselect - does that imply the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: littlefrog
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to identify the flags by scripts.

Hi, I have two different scripts sap_ftp.sh and sap_ftp_dd.sh which are running continously in background. I am using another script called start.sh to launch these two scripts. Either one script will process files at a time . During that time other script will sleep.. Each script will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav20
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

XLF90 Flags to PGF90

Hello, I am running into a bit of an issue running a Makefile. The problem is it was written for a xlf90 compiler when I have a pgf90 on the machine. Therefore, I keep getting errors regarding the xlf90 flags because they don't correspond with the pgf90. Here is the code: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lepagano
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

WHat are flags?

Can anybody actually tell, what is flag? I know they are termed as permission flags and various others. Please explain (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
3 Replies
inet_type(4)                                                       File Formats                                                       inet_type(4)

NAME
inet_type - default Internet protocol type SYNOPSIS
/etc/default/inet_type DESCRIPTION
The inet_type file defines the default IP protocol to use. Currently this file is only used by the ifconfig(1M) and netstat(1M) commands. The inet_type file can contain a number of <variable>=<value> lines. Currently, the only variable defined is DEFAULT_IP, which can be assigned a value of IP_VERSION4, IP_VERSION6, or BOTH. The output displayed by the ifconfig and netstat commands can be controlled by the value of DEFAULT_IP set in inet_type file. By default, both commands display the IPv4 and IPv6 information available on the system. The user can choose to suppress display of IPv6 information by setting the value of DEFAULT_IP. The following shows the possible values for DEFAULT_IP and the resulting ifconfig and netstat output that will be displayed: IP_VERSION4 Displays only IPv4 related information. The output displayed is backward compatible with older versions of the ifconfig(1M) and netstat(1M) commands. IP_VERSION6 Displays both IPv4 and IPv6 related information for ifconfig and netstat. BOTH Displays both IPv4 and IPv6 related information for ifconfig and netstat. The command-line options to the ifconfig and netstat commands override the effect of DEFAULT_IP as set in the inet_type file. For example, even if the value of DEFAULT_IP is IP_VERSION4, the command example% ifconfig -a6 will display all IPv6 interfaces. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Suppressing IPv6 Related Output This is what the inet_type file must contain if you want to suppress IPv6 related output: DEFAULT_IP=IP_VERSION4 SEE ALSO
ifconfig(1M), netstat(1M) SunOS 5.10 16 Jun 1999 inet_type(4)