Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting executing commands from a file after filtering Post 302568403 by rbalaj16 on Thursday 27th of October 2011 08:41:20 AM
Old 10-27-2011
Question executing commands from a file after filtering

Hi,
I have a question here. Please suggest.

I have a file which has some unix commands to be executed through shell scripting. The number of commands will be different every time based on some external instructions i received. I manually keep the instuctions in this file.

i need to execute commands only which starts with PRE# how to do this in shell scripting.

for example,
PRE#cd /tmp
PRE#touch file.txt
POST#cp -p file.txt file1.txt

in the above, i want to execute only the commands that start with PRE#

Last edited by rbalaj16; 10-27-2011 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: wants to add some more

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing mpirun commands

Basically, I would like to run an mpirun query on my web server to query your databases via yours when using the BLAST program, however the server seems not able to execute even basic mpirun programs such as cpi (to calculate pi). Are there any settings I should take note of? I am running Perl... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tesswulf
0 Replies

2. Red Hat

How commands are executing ?

Hi Folks, I have a small doubt, the binary commands under /bin and /sbin as well as other path binary files, if you peek deep into that, you can find the difference in the way of normal perl programming and some commands will be like binary files. how are the commands executing like the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing many commands at once

Hi, I want to run these two commands one after the other. awk 'BEGIN {OFS="\t"} {print $2}' sort -u rather than typing awk 'BEGIN {OFS="\t"} {print $2}' file1 > file2, then sort -u file2 > file3. Is it possible to run both commands on file1 then get output file3? Its kinda hard for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing commands in different server

Hi Friends, I have a situation here, where I have a script running in one server, namely "SERVER1". Within this script which runs in SERVER1, I have a set of commands which has to connect to a different server (namely "SERVER2") and execute the commands accordingly. I have no experience at all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sravicha
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing commands over ssh

Hi I am trying to send a command over ssh with a parameter but the shell fails to expand the command properly any ideas what am i doing wrong with this. This is ssh on AIX for i in 71 72 73 74 75 do for server in server1 server2 do somestr="Some String" echo "$server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing commands

I need to execute a command to run my script several times with varying parameters perl ex.pl -b 130198 -e 130884 -c plot plot.txt 1_plot.txt perl ex.pl -b 1345 -e 1308 -c plot plot.txt 2_plot.txt perl ex.pl -b 1345567 -e 130898 -c plot plot.txt 3_plot.txt . . . 100's of excutions ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing multiple commands in a file at same time

Hi Am having file.ksh as below wc -l file1.txt wc -l file2.txt wc -l file3.txt wc -l file4.txt i want all the commands in this file to execute in same time please help Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ragu.selvaraj
1 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Executing several commands in a text file

I have a file that has about 3000 commands , listed one below the other. I would like to execute them all in one go. Is there a simpler way to do it - like a batch file processing, than executing one line at a time? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing MQ commands in Perl

If you want to capture the output of any command, we then will be writing the system command in `` or qx. `` an qx works fine with all linux and windows system commands. But when I execute the below code.. it is displaying the output on the screen directly instead of storing to variable ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing bash file with sudo for the second time, leads to permission denied, for some commands

I have a script that checks if the script has been ran with sudo. If the script is not ran as sudo, the current script is being executed with exec sudo bash. You are asked for a password, you type in the password, success. Everything is perfect - the commands inside the script are ran as sudo.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boqsc
1 Replies
trap(1) 							   User Commands							   trap(1)

NAME
trap, onintr - shell built-in functions to respond to (hardware) signals SYNOPSIS
sh trap [ argument n [n2...]] csh onintr [-| label] ksh *trap [ arg sig [ sig2...]] DESCRIPTION
sh The trap command argument is to be read and executed when the shell receives numeric or symbolic signal(s) (n). (Note: argument is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Trap commands are executed in order of signal number or corresponding symbolic names. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. An attempt to trap on signal 11 (memory fault) produces an error. If argument is absent all trap(s) n are reset to their original values. If argument is the null string this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If n is 0 the command argument is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. csh onintr controls the action of the shell on interrupts. With no arguments, onintr restores the default action of the shell on interrupts. (The shell terminates shell scripts and returns to the terminal command input level). With the - argument, the shell ignores all inter- rupts. With a label argument, the shell executes a goto label when an interrupt is received or a child process terminates because it was interrupted. ksh trap uses arg as a command to be read and executed when the shell receives signal(s) sig. (Note that arg is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Each sig can be given as a number or as the name of the signal. trap commands are executed in order of signal number. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. If arg is omitted or is -, then the trap(s) for each sig are reset to their original values. If arg is the null (the empty string, e.g., "" ) string then this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If sig is ERR then arg will be executed whenever a command has a non- zero exit status. If sig is DEBUG then arg will be executed after each command. If sig is 0 or EXIT for a trap set outside any function then the command arg is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 23 Oct 1994 trap(1)