Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support XDMCP and VNC graphics corruption Post 302568038 by cue on Wednesday 26th of October 2011 02:17:58 AM
Old 10-26-2011
I've been reading documentation for 2 days but cannot make head or tails of it. What I'm essentially trying to do is provide a persistent vnc session separate to the one shown at the physical screen. I want another x session which prompts for a username and password which I can access remotely via vnc on another thin client.

I was under the impression that having a file /etc/xinetd.d/x11vnc1 containing

Code:
service x11vnc
{
        type            = UNLISTED
        port            = 5901
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = root
        server          = /usr/local/bin/x11vnc
        server_args     = -inetd -o /var/log/x11vnc.log -xdmsvc
        disable         = no
}

and the corresponding entry in /etc/services

Code:
x11vnc1      5901/tcp

that I will be greeted with a login screen when I connect to IPofServer:1 from any PC running a vncviewer. Is that correct or have I misunderstood something?

Here is the FAQ for x11vnc where I have been trying to gain some information to get this to work:
x11vnc: a VNC server for real X displays

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

XDMCP setup

How do you verify your XDMCP setup on Sun Solaris? I am trying to establish a connection, but no XDMCP servers were found. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heinb
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

xdmcp and netstat

On my linux box, i run netstat -l and i see xdmcp in the list but it doesn't have LISTEN as its state, see what it shows below, I'm wondering if this might explain why i can't see it in my exceed broadcast listing of servers broadcasting on our net? My unix boxes don't show this at all. Proto ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kymberm
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

xdmcp on HP-UX

Anybody know how to set up xdmcp on HPUX (11.0 +)? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lyonsd
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

XDMCP no password

Hello all, Does anyone know or have configure their system to allow no password during an XDMCP session. I' m running Redhat whit gdm manager. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: larryase
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Help: for XDMCP

Hi, Boss i have a problem about open the Graphic remote. when i used the Xmanager2.0 connect to the Sun Fire880 with Sun solaris 2.8 software. prompt to following information: XDMCP connection failed: retry? so can some body told me how the check the XDMCP protocol was enable...and the port 177... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: surainbow
9 Replies

6. AIX

How to enable XDMCP?

Hello everyone, I installed AIX the other day (several times!) but I can't get XDMCP to work. I remember from when I installed it the last time it worked out of the box. So why doesn't it work now? This is the error message I get: XDMCP fatal error: Session failed Session 2 failed for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kotzkroete
3 Replies

7. Solaris

XDMCP Error

Hi Friends, I am not able to login through X browser from Windows Machine to Sun Fire V890 server. Solaris 10 is installed on this machine. Please suggest me what changes need to be done in Solaris Server. Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
2 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

[Solved] links2 --enable-graphics from source, configure error: no graphics driver found.

Howdy I am trying to install links2 with graphics support on snow leopard 10.6.8 (xcode installed). I have had the program running last year, also installed from source - but then I had installed some image libraries with mac ports and fink - cannot reproduce that setup. Plus I would like to not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: butterbaerchen
6 Replies
VINAGRE(1)						      General Commands Manual							VINAGRE(1)

NAME
vinagre - a remote desktop viewer for the GNOME Desktop SYNOPSYS
vinagre [OPTIONS] [server][::port|:display] DESCRIPTION
vinagre is a remote desktop viewer for the GNOME desktop. It can support many protocols using a plugin system. Current plugins exist for VNC and SSH. Vinagre has many features, among others:. - Support for multiple connections simultaneously - Bookmarks and history support - Avahi integration - GNOME keyring integration - GNOME panel applet to quickly launch vinagre to access VNC servers - You can connect to a VNC server by double clicking on a .vnc file when using nautilus. OPTIONS
Help Options: -?, --help Show help options --help-all Show all help options --help-gtk Show GTK+ options Application Options: --help-vnc Show VNC options -F, --file=filename Opens a .vnc file -f, --fullscreen Open vinagre in fullscreen mode -n, --new-window Create a new toplevel window in an existing instance of vinagre --display=DISPLAY X display to use Run 'vinagre --help' to see a full list of available command line options OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: [server][::port|:display] Specifies the VNC server to connect to. The VNC server can be either a hostname, or an IP address. If the server is an IPv6 address, it must be enclosed by square brackets. The address can optionally be followed by two colons (::) and the VNC port number, or alter- natively by one colon (:) and the display where Vinagre should run. If a port is not specified, default value of 5900 will be used. If the value is lower than 1024, 5900 will be added to it. For example, ":0" means "5900" and ":1" means ":5901". If only a port is specified, but not the hostname, localhost will be assumed. Possible values for the display are between 0 and 1024. If a display number greater than 1024 is specified, it will be assumed to be a port. Note that you can't specify the port and the display at the same time. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Start vinagre from the command line example% vinagre Example 2: Create a new top-level window example% vinagre --new-window Example 3: Connect to a specified VNC server and port example% vinagre snoopy::5900 Example 4: Connect to a specified IPv4 address and port example% vinagre 192.168.1.35::2700 Example 5: Connect to a specified IPv6 address and port example% vinagre [2001:0db8:0:0:0:0:1428:57ab]::2700 Example 6: Connect to a VNC server specified by a .vnc file example% vinagre -F snoopy.vnc Example 7: Connect to localhost on a specified port in fullscreen mode example% vinagre -f ::5900 SEE ALSO
Vinagre help manual AUTHOR
Vinagre was written by Jonh Wendell <wendell@bani.com.br> This manual page was written by Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu@ubuntu.com> and Halton Huo <halton.huo@sun.com>. User Commands August 12th 2009 VINAGRE(1)