Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Line break on word
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Line break on word Post 302567863 by zaxxon on Tuesday 25th of October 2011 09:38:41 AM
Old 10-25-2011
I do not understand that explanation, but you can try this:
Code:
awk '{$NF=RS $NF; print}' infile

In case that is not what you are looking for, post your complete example input and an example output using [code] and [/code] tags, thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can a shell script pull the first word (or nth word) off each line of a text file?

Greetings. I am struggling with a shell script to make my life simpler, with a number of practical ways in which it could be used. I want to take a standard text file, and pull the 'n'th word from each line such as the first word from a text file. I'm struggling to see how each line can be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricky
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expression for replacing the fist word with a last word in line

I have a File with the below contents File1 I have no prior experience in unix. I have just started to work in unix. My experience in unix is 0. My Total It exp is 3 yrs. I need to replace the first word in each line with the last word for example unix have no prior experience in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kri_swami
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print word 1 in line 1 and word 2 in line 2 if it matches a pattern

i have a file in this pattern MATCH1 word1 IMAGE word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH1 word1 IMAGE word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH2 word1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bangaram
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: break before word if it's not last on the line

I've been trying this, and can't get it right. I want to put a line break before a word, but only if it's *not* the last word in the line. So if the break work was "fish," then... We want to fish tomorrow ...would become... We want to fish tomorrow ...but this line would remain... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: estebandido
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: Break line, read, break again, read again...

...when the lines use both a colon and commas to separate the parts you want read as information. The first version of this script used cut and other non-Bash-builtins, frequently, which made it nice and zippy with little more than average processor load in GNOME Terminal but, predictably, slow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add line break for each line in a file

I cannot seem to get this to work.. I have a file which has about 100 lines, and there is no end of line (line break \n) at the end of each line, and this is causing problem when i paste them into an application. the file looks like this this is a test that is a test balblblablblhblbha... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fedora
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

break the string and print it in a new line after a specific word

Hi Gurus I am new to this forum.. I am using HP Unix OS. I have one single string in input file as shown below Abc123 | cde | fgh | ghik| lmno | Abc456 |one |two |three | four | Abc789 | five | Six | seven | eight | Abc098 | ........ I want to achive the result in a output file as shown... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kannansr621
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop to break apart word

notimes=5 word=excellency the word excellency contains 10 letters. 10 letters divided by 2 = 5. which means, 5 two-groups of letters are in the word excellency. i need to perform a function on each group of letters. but the only thing i can think of is the following, which i just know... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a File line by line and split into array word by word

Hi All, Hope you guys had a wonderful weekend I have a scenario where in which I have to read a file line by line and check for few words before redirecting to a file I have searched the forum but,either those answers dint work (perhaps because of my wrong under standing of how IFS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingcobra
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find word in a line and output in which line the word occurs / no. of times it occurred

I have a file: file.txt, which contains the following data in it. This is a file, my name is Karl, what is this process, karl is karl junior, file is a test file, file's name is file.txt My name is not Karl, my name is Karl Joey What is your name? Do you know your name and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
3 Replies
CGI::Pretty(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					  CGI::Pretty(3pm)

NAME
CGI::Pretty - module to produce nicely formatted HTML code SYNOPSIS
use CGI::Pretty qw( :html3 ); # Print a table with a single data element print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); DESCRIPTION
CGI::Pretty is a module that derives from CGI. It's sole function is to allow users of CGI to output nicely formatted HTML code. When using the CGI module, the following code: print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); produces the following output: <TABLE><TR><TD>foo</TD></TR></TABLE> If a user were to create a table consisting of many rows and many columns, the resultant HTML code would be quite difficult to read since it has no carriage returns or indentation. CGI::Pretty fixes this problem. What it does is add a carriage return and indentation to the HTML code so that one can easily read it. print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); now produces the following output: <TABLE> <TR> <TD> foo </TD> </TR> </TABLE> Tags that won't be formatted The <A> and <PRE> tags are not formatted. If these tags were formatted, the user would see the extra indentation on the web browser caus- ing the page to look different than what would be expected. If you wish to add more tags to the list of tags that are not to be touched, push them onto the @AS_IS array: push @CGI::Pretty::AS_IS,qw(CODE XMP); Customizing the Indenting If you wish to have your own personal style of indenting, you can change the $INDENT variable: $CGI::Pretty::INDENT = " "; would cause the indents to be two tabs. Similarly, if you wish to have more space between lines, you may change the $LINEBREAK variable: $CGI::Pretty::LINEBREAK = " "; would create two carriage returns between lines. If you decide you want to use the regular CGI indenting, you can easily do the following: $CGI::Pretty::INDENT = $CGI::Pretty::LINEBREAK = ""; BUGS
This section intentionally left blank. AUTHOR
Brian Paulsen <Brian@ThePaulsens.com>, with minor modifications by Lincoln Stein <lstein@cshl.org> for incorporation into the CGI.pm dis- tribution. Copyright 1999, Brian Paulsen. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. Bug reports and comments to Brian@ThePaulsens.com. You can also write to lstein@cshl.org, but this code looks pretty hairy to me and I'm not sure I understand it! SEE ALSO
CGI perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 CGI::Pretty(3pm)