Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris ! bad user (adm).. in cron log Post 302567822 by vishalaswani on Tuesday 25th of October 2011 05:29:23 AM
Old 10-25-2011
Check in /var/spool/cron/crontabs if there is a crontab file for user adm.

If adm is in cron.deny in /etc/cron.d then it will say "not authorized to use cron" but earlier it may be having cron access.

You can look into the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/adm file and I think the ckpacct is still there.

Regards,
Vishal
This User Gave Thanks to vishalaswani For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

var/adm/cron

Hi, Here im using WinSCP and looking into the remote dir var/adm/cron and I get the following error.Is this bcoz i dont have admin privileges: Cannot get real path for '/var/adm/cron'. Unexpected OK response. Error code: 0 Error message from server: Success Request code: 16 BTW im... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thumsup9
1 Replies

2. Solaris

[urgent help] error log on /var/adm/messages

hi experts, i'm having more error log on /var/adm/messages could anyone help to description what is this error logs means???? and how to fix it? below is the logs : Nov 22 20:03:40 USSDGtbs-1 unix: Nov 22 20:03:40 USSDGtbs-1 ^Mpanic/thread=3001345edc0: Nov 22 20:03:40 USSDGtbs-1 unix: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bucci
2 Replies

3. AIX

AIX and cron logs filtering ?: /etc/cronlog.conf, /var/adm/cron/log

Hi, I can use 'crontabs –e' and do all the scheduling I like. However I would like to auto send myself just the cronjobs logs that fail. That is to say the PIDs that fail and the related lines with those PID’s only. (Not the full set of logs) Has anyone done this work? Or does an AIX 5.3 tool... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keith Johnson
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Behavior of Bad Script in Cron Job

Hi A Ksh script is deployed in a server and executed through cronjob. If one of the line in the middle of the script fails . Are the remaining lines executed ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sivaswami
3 Replies

5. Solaris

User entry in both cron.allow and cron.deny

Hello All, Anybody please help me to know ,what happens when a user having entry in both cron.allow and cron.deny files.Wheather the user will be able to access the crontab??? Thanks in advance Vaisakh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksvaisakh
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/var/adm/messages records... [ID 702911 user.error] AEN event ...

Warning... I am a newb. :) I basically know how to add/rm users, kill pids and monitor diskspace. Not an idiot, but honestly a windows database person. I don't know much about what I am asking about. In the /var/adm/messages file, today this was added: Jan 24 09:16:51 my_server login: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madEG
3 Replies

7. Solaris

"! bad user (root)" in cron log

I am getting the following error in the cron log: ! bad user (root) Wed Sep 22 14:30:00 2010 < root 8989 c Wed Sep 22 14:30:00 2010 rc=1 What does this mean? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Does running a cron job of a user require the user to be logged in?

Suppose user 'asdf' is not logged into server 'bbbb', but the server is up. User 'asdf' has cron job. Will it be executed? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Bad user root in crontab

Hi everyone, I got error which is "!bad user (root)" in crontab... I tried changing password, I checked etc/cron/cron.allow and cron.deny, And also I checked the permissions of my files, its(my crontab script) still not working.... Please help... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem running zip from cron - bad zipfile offset

I've created a pretty straightforward shell script to do backups via rsync. Every night it rsyncs a copy of a website (approx 60GB) to the local machine. Once a week, after the rsync step, it zips the local copy of the whole site into 2GB chunks and places them in another folder. When running... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Agreppa
3 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - daemon to execute scheduled commands (Vixie Cron) SYNOPSIS
cron DESCRIPTION
Cron should be started from /etc/rc or /etc/rc.local. It will return immediately, so you don't need to start it with '&'. Cron searches /var/spool/cron for crontab files which are named after accounts in /etc/passwd; crontabs found are loaded into memory. Cron also searches for /etc/crontab and the files in the /etc/cron.d/ directory, which are in a different format (see crontab(5)). Cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs, checking each command to see if it should be run in the current minute. When execut- ing commands, any output is mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such exists). Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or the modtime on /etc/crontab) has changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need not be restarted whenever a crontab file is modified. Note that the Crontab(1) command updates the modtime of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab. SEE ALSO
crontab(1), crontab(5) AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution 20 December 1993 CRON(8)