Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete the last empty/blank line of the text file Post 302567529 by zaxxon on Monday 24th of October 2011 11:11:16 AM
Old 10-24-2011
That looks quite normal. Which text editor do you use? Did you try opening it with vi for example?

What does
Code:
awk '{print NF}' FS= file.txt

show?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get rid of blank line in a flat text file

Hi, I have a flat text file which contains blank line between each text line. Is there any command to get rid of it? Thanks for your help (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: xfang
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete a first blank line from the file

I have a file which has the first blank line: sundev22$cat /t1/bin/startallocs /t1/bin/startallocsys 123 sundev22$ Is there a command to remove this first blank line? Thanks for help -A (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fill the empty line by adding line before blank line

FIle A "A" 2 aa 34 3 ac 5 cd "B" 3 hu 67 4 fg 5 gy output shud be A"" 2 aa 34 "A" 3 ac 34 "A" 5 cd 34 "B" 3 hu 67 "B" 4 fg 67 "B" 5 gy 67 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed insert text at first line of empty file

I can't seem to get sed to allow me to insert text in the first line of an empty file. I have a file.txt that is a 0 byte file. I want sed to insert " fooBar" onto the first line. I've tried a few options and nothing seems to work. They work just fine if there's text in the file tho. Help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DC Slick
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to scan for the empty or blank line

I am having a text file sample.txt The contents of the sample.txt is as follows. ____________ aaa,bbb ccc,ddd ____________ first line contains aaa,bbb second line is blank third line contains ccc,ddd Now I need to write a script to search in the file sample.txt. If it contains... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete blank line from middle of a file

All, I have a file which contains two entry with spaces (either one or more than one space). ex. /tmp/scripts/sql CUST_YR_END_INI.sql /tmp/scripts/sql CUST_WK_END_INI.sql /tmp/scripts/sql CUST_MTH_END_INI.sql /tmp/scripts/sql CUST_YR_END_INC.sql now I want to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshu ranjan
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove blank line from a text file?

Hi All, I am creating a text file using perl. The first record I am writing as "$line" and all the other as "\n$line". At the end the file is having N number of lines. I am using this file for MLOAD (Teradata), which is reading N+1 lines in the file and failing.I am not able to find new line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unankix
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete blank line in regular file

Hi all, I have file1 with line blank e.g. $cat file1 aaa 111 222 333 444 bbb 555 666 777 888 ccc ddd 1010 1010 1010 eee then i need delete the lines blank (3 and 5) so show $cat file1 aaa 111 222 333 444 bbb 555 666 777 888 ddd 1010 1010 1010 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aav1307
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tried many options but unable to delete blank lines from text file

Hi, I tried the following options but was unable to delete blank lines from file Input file = temp.hash.txt temp.hash.txt content 90 0 89.56 0 0 57575.4544 56.89 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: uuuunnnn
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete everything after empty line in file

Hello, I am trying to remove everything coming after empty line under ubuntu14.04. How may I do it? file: aaa 020390 bb00id3 c03wisi 209dl x092sia 0290s I expect: aaa 020390 bb00id3 c03wisi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)