Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Real and Effective IDs
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Real and Effective IDs Post 302567503 by kkalyan on Monday 24th of October 2011 10:34:52 AM
Old 10-24-2011
Real and Effective IDs

Can anyone explain me in details of Real and Effective IDs

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variables for Effective Username?

Hey all, I'm glad to have found this forum as I'm trying to dive head first into Solaris 8 - been working with it for a few months now and am finally getting a bit comfortable with the layout and concepts. In any case, on to the questions... :D I was wondering how I would go about displaying... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: QuadMonk
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

most effective search ?

what's the most efficient and effective search for a file in a dir ? I see many guys use this # find - print or something as such ? and sometimes pipe it to something else ? Is there a better way of using "grep" in all of this ? thanks simon2000 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simon2000
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing the Effective Group ID

Here is my situation. On a RedHat 7.3 box, I have a user named jody. When I log in with jody and type in "id", I get the expected output: uid=1(jody) gid=1(jody) groups=1(jody), 510(test) However, I cannot figure which "id" option allows me to change the effective gid. I tried the options... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jody
2 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

Password rules not effective

I was looking for a good list of words to exclude people from using as passwords, i.e. those that could be guessed easily. I'm working through a whole bunch of suggestions from skullsecurity.org, but I managed to find this page that seems to suggest I have more options than I thought. :b: I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
1 Replies

5. Programming

Real, effective and saved user id in C program

I figured it out by now. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ralph
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

List of all ids,groups, privilege ids

I wish to pull out a list of all user ids on the system, including the privileged ids, the groups to which they belong to. Sometimes after deleting an id also, its home dir does not get deleted or an entry is left behind in /etc/passwd. Can someone help me with a script to achieve both. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
2 Replies
TRUNCATE(1)							   User Commands						       TRUNCATE(1)

NAME
truncate - shrink or extend the size of a file to the specified size SYNOPSIS
truncate OPTION... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Shrink or extend the size of each FILE to the specified size A FILE argument that does not exist is created. If a FILE is larger than the specified size, the extra data is lost. If a FILE is shorter, it is extended and the extended part (hole) reads as zero bytes. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --no-create do not create any files -o, --io-blocks treat SIZE as number of IO blocks instead of bytes -r, --reference=FILE use this FILE's size -s, --size=SIZE use this SIZE --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE may be (or may be an integer optionally followed by) one of following: KB 1000, K 1024, MB 1000*1000, M 1024*1024, and so on for G, T, P, E, Z, Y. SIZE may also be prefixed by one of the following modifying characters: `+' extend by, `-' reduce by, `<' at most, `>' at least, `/' round down to multiple of, `%' round up to multiple of. Note that the -r and -s options are mutually exclusive. AUTHOR
Written by Padraig Brady. REPORTING BUGS
Report truncate bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report truncate translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
dd(1), truncate(2), ftruncate(2) The full documentation for truncate is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and truncate programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'truncate invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.5 February 2011 TRUNCATE(1)