Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A simpler XML tool
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? A simpler XML tool Post 302567378 by CarloM on Monday 24th of October 2011 05:27:08 AM
Old 10-24-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Perhaps. Xpath looks verbose, ugly, complicated, and redundant though. It's not really meant for streams.
Basic XPath syntax for specifying nodes is pretty simple.

^html.head.title - /html/head/title
table - //table
tag:key=value - tag[key=value]

Not much difference. But it was just a thought - seems easier to re-use an existing syntax than invent a new one...

Last edited by CarloM; 10-24-2011 at 06:34 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a simpler way to achieve this?

Hi all I have the following which is part of a larger interactive script for adding virtual hosts to Apache's configuration (it was built for non-technical administrators). I'm curious as to whether there is a simpler way of achieving the same thing. All it does is look into the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlott
3 Replies

2. Programming

How to simplify this perl script to a cleaner simpler look?

my $branch_email_e = $FORM{r_Branch}; my $hostbranch_email_e = $FORM{r_Host_Branch}; my $branch_email_f = $FORM{r_Direction_generale}; my $hostbranch_email_f = $FORM{r_Direction_generale_daccueil}; my $branch_realname_e = ''; my $branch_realname_f = ''; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: callyvan
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a simpler way to validate user input for float?

I'm trying to only read price (FLOAT (i.e 1.10, 3.14, etc etc)) If the input is just an integer, I will add a .00 behind. (i.e 3 becomes 3.00 , 20 becomes 20.00) If the input is without 2 decimal places, I'll add a 0. (i.e 3.1 becomes 3.10) I tried using the below code, it works but I don't... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: andylbh
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

A simpler way to do this (save a list of files based on part of their name)

Hello, I have a script that checks every file with a specific extension in a specific directory. The file names contain some numerical output and I am recording the file names with the best n outcomes. The script finds all files in the directory with the extension .out.txt and uses awk to... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simpler next month year program

I have created this program to get the next month and year. Is there a simpler way. #!/bin/ksh string=`cat Date.txt` year=`echo $string | cut -c 1-4` month=`echo $string | cut -c 5-6` echo $year$month mon=`expr $month + 1` if ; then mon=0$mon echo $mon fi if ; then month=01 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: w020637
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need simpler way to find all my disk space utilization using df -h

Hi All, I am using SSH Tectia terminal to get the disk space utilization of a particular folder /opt/logs in all the servers one by one using the command df -h and looking through the list of folders manually to get /opt/logs folder disk space used percentage . The problem here is , it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aakhan2011
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need simpler version of these commands

Hi all, I am trying to grep a file with the word grand and get all the fields.. Then replace multiple spaces with single space and then get 8 th field and add all these numbers . I am able to do it but with so amny commands which i feel can be done in a simpler way Please let me know if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simpler crontab entry to execute pgm on last day of the month

The following bash command line works for the last day of the month. Test by replacing the 1 with tomorrows day of month number && echo "Day before tomorrow"Can it be used within crontab? As * * 28-31 * * && echo "Today ls last day of month" >>/tmp/crontabtestI tried to test crontab with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lsatenstein
1 Replies
XPath::Node(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    XPath::Node(3)

NAME
XML::XPath::Node - internal representation of a node API
The Node API aims to emulate DOM to some extent, however the API isn't quite compatible with DOM. This is to ease transition from XML::DOM programming to XML::XPath. Compatibility with DOM may arise once XML::DOM gets namespace support. new Creates a new node. See the sub-classes for parameters to pass to new(). getNodeType Returns one of ELEMENT_NODE, TEXT_NODE, COMMENT_NODE, ATTRIBUTE_NODE, PROCESSING_INSTRUCTION_NODE or NAMESPACE_NODE. UNKNOWN_NODE is returned if the sub-class doesn't implement getNodeType - but that means something is broken! The constants are exported by default from XML::XPath::Node. The constants have the same numeric value as the XML::DOM versions. getParentNode Returns the parent of this node, or undef if this is the root node. Note that the root node is the root node in terms of XPath - not the root element node. to_sax ( $handler | %handlers ) Generates sax calls to the handler or handlers. See the PerlSAX docs for details (not yet implemented correctly). MORE INFO
See the sub-classes for the meaning of the rest of the API: o XML::XPath::Node::Element o XML::XPath::Node::Attribute o XML::XPath::Node::Namespace o XML::XPath::Node::Text o XML::XPath::Node::Comment o XML::XPath::Node::PI perl v5.12.1 2003-01-26 XPath::Node(3)