Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Memory Allocation Query
Top Forums Programming Memory Allocation Query Post 302567365 by rupeshkp728 on Monday 24th of October 2011 04:37:32 AM
Old 10-24-2011
Memory Allocation Query

When we dynamically allocate the memory say 100 integers say

int *x = new int(1000);

then does entire chunk of memory gets allocated at once after the completion of the statement?

I mean will the the concept of page fault come into picture over here?

Last edited by rupeshkp728; 10-24-2011 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: Improve question

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

memory allocation

I would like to know how I could allocate some more memory to a process. Please note that I am not the root user. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sagar
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

threads and memory allocation

Hello! First of all, forgive me for bad English. When I starts new thread (pthread_create), system allocates some memory for it (for example, for thread's stack). I wonder when does it deallocate this memory? The problem is that I have a program which sometimes creates new threads and sometimes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prankster
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

HP-UX memory usage allocation

Hi all, I have a HP-UX Server with 4 gigabytes of physical RAM. When I use the 'Glance' utility to see what my memory utilization is, my memory usage shows up maxed out at 99%. I shut off all the known processes that I'm running on that box and the memory utilization is still at 78% (with Swap... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dehuang83
3 Replies

4. Programming

Dynamic memory allocation

Hi, I am trying to process line by line of a file. But I should not be allocating static allocation for reading the contents of the file. The memory should be dynamically allocated. The confusion here is how do I determine the size of each line, put it into a buffer with the memory allocated... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: naan
11 Replies

5. Programming

Memory allocation problem

I have a program that will fetch some particular lines and store it in a buffer for further operations.The code which is given below works but with some errors.I couldn't trace out the error.Can anybody help on this plz?? #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include<string.h> #define... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vigneshinbox
1 Replies

6. Programming

Is there a problem with the memory allocation???

I have a scenario like the client has to search for the active server.There will be many servers.But not all server are active.And at a time not more than one server will be active. The client will be in active state always i.e, it should always search for an active server until it gets one.I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vigneshinbox
1 Replies

7. Programming

Memory allocation in C

Hi Experts I need some help in static memory allocation in C. I have a program in which I declared 2 variables, one char array and one integer. I was little surprised to see the addresses of the variables. First: int x; char a; printf("%u %u\n', &x, a); I got the addresses displayed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unx_freak
2 Replies

8. Programming

Dynamic Memory Allocation

Hello Guys I have a small confusion in the dynamic memory allocation concept. If we declare a pointer say a char pointer, we need to allocate adequate memory space. char* str = (char*)malloc(20*sizeof(char)); str = "This is a string"; But this will also work. char* str = "This... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tene
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

memory allocation to a variable

hello all.. i'm a beginner in shell scripting. I need to know what is really happening when we are creating a variable in shell scripting? how memory is allocated for that variable? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarathy
3 Replies

10. Programming

memory allocation for string in C

hi in the following code, how the memory is allocated for a1 which holds the values of a2 after cpy function call. #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> void cpy(char* d, const char* s){ while(*d++=*s++); } main(){ char* a1; char* a2="done"; cpy(a1,a2); ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mprakasheee
3 Replies
ddi_umem_alloc(9F)					   Kernel Functions for Drivers 					ddi_umem_alloc(9F)

NAME
ddi_umem_alloc, ddi_umem_free - allocate and free page-aligned kernel memory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/sunddi.h> void *ddi_umem_alloc(size_t size, int flag, ddi_umem_cookie_t *cookiep); void ddi_umem_free(ddi_umem_cookie_t cookie); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI). PARAMETERS
ddi_umem_alloc() size Number of bytes to allocate. flag Used to determine the sleep and pageable conditions. Possible sleep flags are DDI_UMEM_SLEEP, which allows sleeping until memory is available, and DDI_UMEM_NOSLEEP, which returns NULL immediately if memory is not available. The default condition is to allocate locked memory; this can be changed to allocate pageable memory using the DDI_UMEM_PAGEABLE flag. cookiep Pointer to a kernel memory cookie. ddi_umem_free() cookie A kernel memory cookie allocated in ddi_umem_alloc(). DESCRIPTION
ddi_umem_alloc() allocates page-aligned kernel memory and returns a pointer to the allocated memory. The number of bytes allocated is a multiple of the system page size (roundup of size). The allocated memory can be used in the kernel and can be exported to user space. See devmap(9E) and devmap_umem_setup(9F) for further information. flag determines whether the caller can sleep for memory and whether the allocated memory is locked or not. DDI_UMEM_SLEEP allocations may sleep but are guaranteed to succeed. DDI_UMEM_NOSLEEP allocations do not sleep but may fail (return NULL) if memory is currently unavail- able. If DDI_UMEM_PAGEABLE is set, pageable memory will be allocated. These pages can be swapped out to secondary memory devices. The ini- tial contents of memory allocated using ddi_umem_alloc() is zero-filled. *cookiep is a pointer to the kernel memory cookie that describes the kernel memory being allocated. A typical use of cookiep is in devmap_umem_setup(9F) when the drivers want to export the kernel memory to a user application. To free the allocated memory, a driver calls ddi_umem_free() with the cookie obtained from ddi_umem_alloc(). ddi_umem_free() releases the entire buffer. RETURN VALUES
Non-null Successful completion.ddi_umem_alloc() returns a pointer to the allocated memory. NULL Memory cannot be allocated by ddi_umem_alloc() because DDI_UMEM_NOSLEEP is set and the system is out of resources. CONTEXT
ddi_umem_alloc() can be called from any context if flag is set to DDI_UMEM_NOSLEEP. If DDI_UMEM_SLEEP is set, ddi_umem_alloc() can be called from user and kernel context only. ddi_umem_free() can be called from any context. SEE ALSO
devmap(9E), condvar(9F), devmap_umem_setup(9F), kmem_alloc(9F), mutex(9F), rwlock(9F), semaphore(9F) Writing Device Drivers WARNINGS
Setting the DDI_UMEM_PAGEABLE flag in ddi_umem_alloc() will result in an allocation of pageable memory. Because these pages can be swapped out to secondary memory devices, drivers should use this flag with care. This memory must not be used for the following purposes: o For synchronization objects such as locks and condition variables. See mutex(9F), semaphore(9F), rwlock(9F), and condvar(9F). o For driver interrupt routines. Memory allocated using ddi_umem_alloc() without setting DDI_UMEM_PAGEABLE flag cannot be paged. Available memory is therefore limited by the total physical memory on the system. It is also limited by the available kernel virtual address space, which is often the more restric- tive constraint on large-memory configurations. Excessive use of kernel memory is likely to effect overall system performance. Over-commitment of kernel memory may cause unpredictable consequences. Misuse of the kernel memory allocator, such as writing past the end of a buffer, using a buffer after freeing it, freeing a buffer twice, or freeing an invalid pointer, will cause the system to corrupt data or panic. Do not call ddi_umem_alloc() within DDI_SUSPEND and DDI_RESUME operations. Memory acquired at these times is not reliable. In some cases, such a call can cause a system to hang. NOTES
ddi_umem_alloc(0, flag, cookiep) always returns NULL. ddi_umem_free(NULL) has no effects on system. SunOS 5.10 19 Mar 2002 ddi_umem_alloc(9F)