Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tarball of current directory
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting tarball of current directory Post 302567115 by h@foorsa.biz on Saturday 22nd of October 2011 10:25:47 AM
Old 10-22-2011
Create a file for an example /exclude with entries you are gonna exclude such ./yourdir/excluded/ , Otherwise you can install GNU tar for Solaris

Code:
$cd /yourdir 
$tar cvXf /exclude yourdir.tar .

Quote:
X Exclude. Use the exclude-filename argument as a
file containing a list of named files (or direc-
tories) to be excluded from the tarfile when using
the key letters c, x, or t. Multiple X arguments
may be used, with one exclude-filename per argument.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using tar for current directory, but not subs

I know that I can type tar -cvf myfile.tar * to tar the current directory and all it's sub directories, but how do I tar ONLY the current directory and skip all the subdirectories? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beilstwh
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cannot determine current directory

Hi, when I execute some simple commands on my solaris system, I am getting the following warning message: Could anybody tell me what could be the reason Ex:- If I give the command, which ls Warning: cannot determine current directory ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

filename in current directory

I want to perform a task on all the files in the current directory but I'd like to loop through them one at a time. How do I tell it to give me the first filename? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: calgone337
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files in current directory when 100,000's files in current directory

Hi All I was wondering what is the most efficient way to find files in the current directory(that may contain 100,000's files), that meets a certain specified file type and of a certain age. I have experimented with the find command in unix but it also searches all sub directories. I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kewong007
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create a directory using current date

Hi, I have a question, is there any way I can, when i create a directory, put the current date on it so that the directory name will be "name-current date"? just curious (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aric87
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command to look for current directory only

i have this find command on my script as: for i in `find $vdir -name "$vfile" -mtime +$pday` the problem with this code is that the sub-directories are included on the search. how do i restrict the search to confine only on the current directory and ignore the sub-directories. please advise.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

current directory in awk

Hello, I want to use the string with the current directory in my awk command. I tried: 'pwd=system("pwd")' but it doesn't work. can please help somebody? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daWonderer
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Current working directory

Hi all, How do I print the name of my current working directory only to screen? Not pwd! For example, if I was in /home/work I am looking for 'work' only (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimjam
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to email the current directory?

Hi, I'm very new to Unix, but have been given a command to type in which is : mail -s <email subject goes here> <my email address> <success.txt this command is quite a basic one and sends an email containing the contents of the file "success.txt" to whatever email I put in with the subject of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rnmuk
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the current directory Path?

How to get the current directory Path in your prompt? i am getting a $ mark only in my prompt? Please help me with this (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhishek0683
3 Replies
set directory to new epoch(1m)											    set directory to new epoch(1m)

NAME
set directory to new epoch - Reconstructs a directory's replica set, allowing you to designate a new master replica or to exclude a replica SYNOPSIS
cdscp set directory directory-name to new epoch master clearinghouse-name [readonly clearinghouse-name...] [exclude clearinghouse-name...] ARGUMENTS
The full name of the directory. The full name of the clearinghouse in which an individual replica is located. The first clearinghouse- name specifies where the master replica is stored. DESCRIPTION
The set directory to new epoch command reconstructs a directory's replica set, allowing you to designate a new master replica or to exclude a replica. You must list each existing replica and indicate whether an existing replica needs to be included in or excluded from the new replica set. You can include or exclude more than one replica. The ellipses (...) indicates that you can specify multiple clearinghouse names, separated by spaces. When you set a new epoch on a directory, you must disable the clearinghouse containing the replica that is being excluded. To do this, use the disable server command (if the server has more than one clearinghouse, all its clearinghouses will be disabled). Note that all clear- inghouses that are not excluded must be enabled and available before you issue the disable server command. Privilege Required You must have administer permission to the directory, and the server principal needs administer, read, and write permission to the direc- tory. When designating a new master replica, you also need write permission to the clearinghouse that stores the new master replica, and the server principal needs write permission to each clearinghouse where the replica type is changed to read-only. NOTE
This command may be replaced in future releases by the dcecp command, and may no longer be supported at that time. EXAMPLE
The following command sets a new epoch for the directory /.:/mfg. The master replica is in the clearinghouse /.:/Paris1_CH, and read-only replicas are in the clearinghouses /.:/Chicago1_CH, /.:/Seattle_CH, and /.:/NY1_CH. The new replica set excludes the replica in the clear- inghouse /.:/NY1_CH. cdscp> set directory /.:/mfg to new epoch master /.:/Paris1_CH > readonly /.:/Chicago1_CH /.:/Seattle_CH exclude /.:/NY1_CH RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: set directory to skulk(1m), show directory(1m), show replica(1m) set directory to new epoch(1m)