Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cut certain characters for each line in a file Post 302567113 by jimmy_y on Saturday 22nd of October 2011 12:41:07 PM
Old 10-22-2011
Thanks Dan,

but the output is
Code:
<a><a"" dd>weopriuew</f><">!(^)!</aa></ff>
<a><a"" dd>weopriuew</f><">!(^*)!</aa></ff>

the correct output is
Code:
<a><a"" dd>aaopriuew</f><">!(^)!</aa></ff>
<a><a"" dd>bbopriuew</f><">!(^*)!</aa></ff>

Please help Smilie

Thanks

---------- Post updated at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:15 AM ----------

got the answer aly.

Code:
sed 's/\(.\{13\}\).\{4\}/\1/'

Last edited by Franklin52; 10-22-2011 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut first 4 characters from a line

Please let me know how to cut first four characters from a line in UNIX after grepping the file.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushikraman
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cut first 3 characters of each line in a file

Hi Friends I have a file like sample1.txt ------------ 10998909.txt 10898990.txt 1898772222.txt 8980000000000.txt I need to take first 3 characters of each line in a file and i need to print it ' like loop 109 108 189 898 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kittusri9
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut 1st 2 characters off all line1st in file

I know this sounds simple, but I have a logfile with > something > something_else > another_entry ... how do I cut the first 2 characters off the left side? I tried to use cut -c 1-2 somefile > someotherfile but that just cut gave me the 2 left characters, I want to cut those out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i cut first line of a file

i want to cut first line of a file and use it.It should remove that line from file content.Plz help me (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arghya_owen
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut between characters of a file

Hi All, Need to convert file names to upper case using tr command in Unix. In a folder -> /apps/dd01/misc there are two files like: pi-abcd567sd.pdf pi-efgh1.pdf The output of should be like: pi-ABCD567SD.pdf pi-EFGH1.pdf I have used the command to work as below: for f... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to cut first 21 and 32-25 characters from file

Guys, can you help me in doing cut first 21 and 32-35 characters from file. I tried with cut -c to cut first 21 characters ,It is succeeded. But i need both first 21 and 32-35. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_xunil
1 Replies

7. AIX

How to cut a flat file according to a certain number of characters?

hello everybody i am looking for a shell to cut a flat file (with a long unique line) according to a certain number of characters and redirect every result to an output file. here is an example MyFile : 12 3 456 12 3 456 12 3 456 ..... and i took every 9-characters including BLANKS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastlane3000
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut last 13 characters and take the rest of the file name

Hi, I would like to cut last 13 characters of a file name and take the rename the file name as follows: Input: A.DAT20110517033732 Output: A.DAT I have tried the following command and cut last 13 characters. echo A.DAT20110517033732 | awk '{print substr($0, length($0)-13)}' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyaranoid
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut the variable from the line and use it to find the file and read the content of that file

Hi, I am working on one script..I am having files in the below format file 1 (each line is separated with : delimeter) SPLASH:SPLASH:SVN CIB/MCH:MCH:SVN Now I want from file 1 that most left part of the first line will store in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut the first 100 characters of file

Hello all, I have a file and would like to cut the first 100 characters of the first line. I tried it with the ‘cut’-command: cut –c100- $file > $file.tmp But this does not work, because it will cut the first 100 characters of each line. But I need to cut them only from the beginning of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: API
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)